What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Jillyb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Made yet another confetti soap! Apple Mango Tango Goat Milk Soap has my whole house smelling heavenly!
Nice, lovin that colour choice.

I'm a closet watcher! But, I'm daring to show everyone a picture of my Raspberry High Top Goat Milk soap. I just started piping soap so it's not perfect! Made this on July 9th. Going unmold later today and cut. I'm praying my colors haven't morphed and the swirl came out!
The top looks great.. excited to see your cut😊

Elizevt

Reaction score
Very Excited!!!
I just cut my very first batch of soap I made yesterday. Powdered Lavender and colloidal oatmeal. I finely ground my lavender so that it doesnt look like mouse poops. The lavender powder becomes VERY fragrant when it's ground up.
Looks and smells amazing.

I'm not sure how soap should feel when it comes out of the mould so today's soap is my first baseline reference.
It feels a bit like beeswax. But it holds its shape well.

The soap does still give a zap. I accidentally touched the tip of my tongue after cutting my soap and got a good zap. Its exactly like a battery zap to the tongue, you can't miss it.
I'll test it again for zappiness over the next few days to see at what point it disappears.

I've laid my little soapies out under a net to cure.

Waiting is by far the hardest part of making soap. I can't wait to try my soaps out.

1 15a co ccno t55 11 July 2020 cut2.jpg

jcandleattic

Reaction score
Finally got around to inventorying all my scents. Well, most of them. I did't count the little 1 oz sample size and I didn't inventory any of my EO's (only a handful of those)
So without counting any duplicates, the 1 oz sample size (probably about 75+ of those) or the EO's, I stand at 292 unique FO's in various sizes. I actually thought I had much more than that, but that's plenty!! LOL

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a batch yesterday with my tried and true lard recipe. I wanted to try a hanger swirl and I used pink clay and green barleygrass powder for colour. For fragrance, I used Ylang Ylang and 10x orange (and a small amt of something else that I can't remember atm). Everything was fine til I added the fragrance. I thought it might be the orange - doesn't anyone know if that accelerated? I'd never used Ylang Ylang before so maybe it's that - that had the highest % of the blend. So I ended up glopping the white in the bottom then glopped the pink and green along each side. I added a very think silver pencil line then repeated the layers. It's very rustic - the top might poke your eye out! But it smells very nice.

Attachments

MGM

Reaction score
A friend of mine in another city makes lovely masks (from what I've seen on Facebook) so I offered her some soap in exchange for masks for my family. She messaged to say that she put the 4 masks in the mail today, so I had to pack up the soap. Canada Post is funny about parcel rates, and sending 3 soaps would only be a few dollars less than sending 43, so here we are.....

Attachments

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today was my 2nd attempt making MWHP mini bars for my sensitive oily/combination face. Yesterday I burned the oils, miscalculated the honey by a long shot, and wound up with oozey, oddly zappy soap. For 100g of oil, I decided to just recalculate the recipe a smidge and start over.
Coconut oil, cocoa butter, and castor oil were mixed with the lye (mixture) until thickened, then I added avocado oil and Shea butter, SF 7.
AVJ 100% liquid, additives of Citric Acid, honey, charcoal, and fine (think espresso) coffee grounds.
They look and smell like I've saponified bulletproof coffee. I've intentionally partially filled a few of the molds for test scraps.
I also tried a tiny scrap from my first soap batch I made two weeks ago just to see how it was doing, and was delighted it lathered up in a few seconds and left a nice feeling on my hands. I'm even more impatient now for the bars to cure. Also, I was surprised the fragrance stayed with me- I hadn't realized that was possible with soap. I have significantly more enthusiasm about FOs now- before I thought they were just what you might maybe notice while handling the soap.

Attachments

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
...sending 3 soaps would only be a few dollars less than sending 43, so here we are.....
Your friend is going to be blown away when she sees all those soaps! So cool! It's like Christmas in July!

BTW, have you ever used the Flat Rate ($8.40) Priority padded envelopes for Domestic and International mail? They hold about 9 soaps and for up to 70 ounces. I'm waiting to send to a friend in Spain but that country isn't accepting mail from outside the country yet. I'll be curious to hear how long it takes for your package to get into Canada. They're fairly paranoid about shipments from the USA up there IME.

MGM

Reaction score
lol no worries @Zany_in_CO. I'm always drooling at the tiny little stamps on packages my MIL or American friends send...even *to* Canada, it's always so cheap!
Funniest part is that the friend doesn't even live that far away....well, it's probably an hour and a half drive now, but we used to be able to get to her place in the Gay Ghetto in 55 min on a Sunday morning. (Trying to give @SPowers more clues about where I am :p)

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine in another city makes lovely masks (from what I've seen on Facebook) so I offered her some soap in exchange for masks for my family. She messaged to say that she put the 4 masks in the mail today, so I had to pack up the soap. Canada Post is funny about parcel rates, and sending 3 soaps would only be a few dollars less than sending 43, so here we are.....
Those are really beautiful soaps!

Reactions: MGM

peachymoon

Reaction score
I thought of this thread yesterday. I'm a new soaper, so I've been reading/doing research during the week, and have been "practicing" with a small batch every weekend for the last month. This weekend was the first week I didn't soap, but I realized I DID do a soapy thing--I set up and organized the shelf I bought to store my supplies/air out my soaps. It's exciting to see everything on display, it feels more official somehow.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like I’ve been waiting for this soap forever! It is so simplistic and classic looking, and I don’t usually do pink. I formulated it to be extra moisturizing, so I’m calling it lotion soap. And surprisingly the rose geranium essential oil survived the cure very nicely! It’s rose geranium and orange EO. This one is going to be a keeper! I think I’ll make another batch this week.

I attempted a gradient layer soap from yellow to pink to red using clay. It’s on the heating pad now. A fun low stress experiment. I’m curious to see how it turns out tomorrow!

Attachments

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am waiting for an order of new colorants and some caster oil which I'm totally out of so I'm twiddling my thumbs in the meantime. I ended up spending the afternoon in my soapery (guest bedroom) where I organized all my recipes and soapmaking notes. I did a little beveling and planing and that's about it.
Yesterday I finished cleaning out the closet in that room removing pretty much everything non soap related so I have all my supplies including my trolley of tools in one spot. I have a few soaps in there but most are curing in the bookcase.

Attachments

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wantcha ta know, I'm starting a cart! LOL I'll have one of these because it is SO me and one of the Gahdawful-sounding Bacon Beer Chocolate & Coffee! Just my way of paying homage to your creative spirit.
🙏
Just wantcha ta know, I'm starting a cart! LOL I'll have one of these because it is SO me and one of the Gahdawful-sounding Bacon Beer Chocolate & Coffee! Just my way of paying homage to your creative spirit.
🙏
🙏🏼❤🎉 Thanks! I’m trying to use what I’ve got on hand. I actually posted those pink lotion soap bars today and my friends snapped em up! I’m not really selling yet. But, these turned out really great! And, I need some new supplies. Already labeled up, and packaged for the PO tomorrow. That’s kind of a good feeling!

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The soapy (silly) thing I did today was to try and get my sweet potato soup to trace with the stick blender. So weird to use it for food. 😂

I also tried a small tester bar from a batch I made almost 10 weeks ago.The lather felt so nice that I kept going back to that bathroom whenever I needed to wash up.

Saponificarian

Reaction score
We must be practically neighbors then! ;)
Our border is one of the best I think for crossing goods. On any given day I'd go to the mailbox and bring back up to $250 - $300 without comment and often they'd just wave me through... and that's just an over and back situation. I think they have a mandate that if they can't collect at least $50 in tax, then it's not worth their while to do the paperwork! I also have a Nexus card so I go through a pre-approved line which may help some. Whatever - it works for me. Or at least it did til Covid!
I am eternally jealous of you guys tat are so close to the border!

Latest posts