What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try not to add so much water when you rebatch. Also, it does tend to look like concrete, you can add some mica to change the color - but you have to use a dark color obviously to counter all those other colors. I like to whip my rebatch. After it’s all melted, just whip it - this also seems to lighten the color. I add mica, and fragrance. I love my rebatch!

sarahmarah

Reaction score
I’m kind of obsessed with coffee scrub bars. My first batch was great but I made it before I knew about upping palmitic/stearic % to make the soap longer lasting. So while my first batch was great they didn’t last very long. I’ve since tweaked my palm free/vegan recipe to up the longevity. Made these bars last night (after I told myself I would take a few days off experimenting 😂) I finally used my new Cheshire Cat angler contraption to do slanted layers because when I angle with towels and boards etc. I always manage to wonk it up. I tried a gradient that will hopefully be more pronounced as it discolors. Smells fantastic. I’m kind of a coffee freaker lol.

Attachments

jcandleattic

Reaction score
Not necessarily soap related for what I'm doing today. I'm all over the place.

Working from home, organizing my FO's to do an inventory (I just got a TON - about 100 bottles all different sizes - from a gal I soap with who is moving and didn't want to take them with her)
I'm also making more memorial hurricanes for my sister. Also on the list for either today or tomorrow is to masterbatch about 100lbs of oils, clean my lab, and then possibly maybe make soap on Sunday. :) Really depends on if I also get all my other weekend chores done (housecleaning, laundry, etc.,)

StarChild

Reaction score
I shall be collecting fragrance oils and soap tools tomorrow! Yay!

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m kind of obsessed with coffee scrub bars. My first batch was great but I made it before I knew about upping palmitic/stearic % to make the soap longer lasting. So while my first batch was great they didn’t last very long. I’ve since tweaked my palm free/vegan recipe to up the longevity. Made these bars last night (after I told myself I would take a few days off experimenting 😂) I finally used my new Cheshire Cat angler contraption to do slanted layers because when I angle with towels and boards etc. I always manage to wonk it up. I tried a gradient that will hopefully be more pronounced as it discolors. Smells fantastic. I’m kind of a coffee freaker lol.
I’m with you there. I am definitely a coffee addict.

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut and cleaned up my rainbow soap - it's much better than my previous attempts but still have some work to do on getting straight lines. I also cut my rebatch... think I'll call it Frankenstein since it's made up of so many things! The diced bits add some nice colour which is a good thing. Anyone who saw it before I cut would have thought it was just a concrete brick! This hasn't been cleaned up at all so it's very rough looking.

My confetti soap is still a bit soft so will let it sit longer... I read a recipe (on which I based this) that said to use a cup of liquid - then I saw others that said to add only a couple TBS so I'm guessing that's why it's soft. Hopefully the extra liquid will evaporate. My daughter said I should call it Terrazzo - a better name than Frankenstein!

is that all the same soap? The colours are very different but the design is the same. Either way I love the design.

Attachments

Last edited:

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made some stone soaps! First batch I scented with Peppermint and Anise. They smell wonderful. Second batch I scented with Flamingo Beach, a very salty, suntan like fragrance. I'm not in love with the Flamingo Beach, so I'll be happy when the scent dies down some.

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm just wondering what stages everyone's at. :) I'm a curious little cat, I am.

For myself, I'm waiting for my most recent batch of bar soap to firm up (trying to give it 24 hours before I even touch it, since the soapcalc numbers put it just shy of the 'ideal' hardness range). In addition I fiddled around with the liquid soap I made yesterday (a good chunk of it didn't dissolved, and I was seeing if that was because there wasn't enough water to dilute it all... sure enough that was the problem so it was diluted and added to the bottle holding the rest of it).

And right now I have a tea going that will eventually be strained and frozen, to be used when I make my shampoo bar. Still need to get to my aunt's to pick her citrus trees... But at least I can have the liquid ready to go! I measured out 1/2 o I tossed in one bag each of Bigelow's Chammomile Lemon and I Love Lemon teas. I'm going to be infusing both chamomile and lemon into the oils, and needed to use the teas anyways (and I don't drink tea). Win-win, right? I might not need all of the tea for the shampoo bar (I'll only be using about 500g oils after all), but at least I'll have it done. :)
I have a couple of infusions going: lavender bud in OO and Calendua in OO. They're only a couple of weeks old so doing think they'll be ready to go for a bit. I replenished my masterbatch and bought another big jug of lye. Just trying to figure out what I will do next.

Bari b

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made my first ever batch of Zany's No-Slime Castile. I didn't add any FO or color and the recipe behaved perfectly.
IMG_20200710_160721514.jpg
Can't wait to unmold it!

I also cut a 70% palm recipe that I made yesterday. Here is the poured soap -
IMG_20200709_131414646.jpg
I will post cut photos in the photo gallery later tonight or tomorrow! Great day soaping!

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a closet watcher! But, I'm daring to show everyone a picture of my Raspberry High Top Goat Milk soap. I just started piping soap so it's not perfect! Made this on July 9th. Going unmold later today and cut. I'm praying my colors haven't morphed and the swirl came out!
Looks great. Looking forward to the cut.

Jillyb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ok wait.....I was mainly interested in the *rope* which you didn't even mention, but then there's lots more in here to ask about! ;-)

PCSF?
Any reason to think I couldn't do this CP? I'm thinking not, but then again, I don't know what PCSF is (a magik spell??) and I still don't know how that rope got in....🤓
Lol.. I overshare..( PCSF adding super fat after Cook.. in hot process to get a more fluid soap.)
I use a drill bit by hand to screw the hole in.. Id think any soap could be drilled at right cure stage... before getting too hard.

Reactions: MGM

sarahmarah

Reaction score
is that all the same soap? The colours are very different but the design is the same. Either way I love the design.
Thank you. It’s all the same soap. I don’t get a lot of natural light in my kitchen so I took a pic outside too.😊

Elizevt

Reaction score
I just Finnished making my very first soap.
I was planning to do it last night, but I had some analysis paralysis.

I got all my ingredients and weighed it out. One problem I had was with the scale. It's a plastic food scale and I just noticed today that it only weighs in 5gram increments. 🤦‍♀️

But I just adjusted my lye Calc measurements to give me whole numbers for my water and lye measurements. And then weighed my oils out as best I could. Erring on the side of, rather a drop or two to much, than to little.

My lye was room temperature and my oils were at 40 degrees Celsius when I mixed them.
I was making a soap with powdered lavender and oats and I originally wanted to split the batch and color it half with white kaolin clay and half with pink clay. But before I even added any clays or oats etc it had already reached a thick ploppy pudding like trace.
I stressed a bit that it was going to get to thick. But in hindsight, it really wasn't that bad.

Being my first soap I didn't want to mess it up, so I didn't do a 2 color pink/white blend, I just did 1 color. I added the pink clay and my lavender and oats and lavender essential oil. Mixed it all in and put it in my mold.

I'll do 2 colors for my next soap..

I decorated it with a few corn flowers and it is on the shelf setting up now.

Touch wood it comes out fine.

I'll update tomorrow when I unmold and cut.

IMG_20200711_154116.jpg

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just Finnished making my very first soap.
I was planning to do it last night, but I had some analysis paralysis.

I got all my ingredients and weighed it out. One problem I had was with the scale. It's a plastic food scale and I just noticed today that it only weighs in 5gram increments. 🤦‍♀️

But I just adjusted my lye Calc measurements to give me whole numbers for my water and lye measurements. And then weighed my oils out as best I could. Erring on the side of, rather a drop or two to much, than to little.

My lye was room temperature and my oils were at 40 degrees Celsius when I mixed them.
I was making a soap with powdered lavender and oats and I originally wanted to split the batch and color it half with white kaolin clay and half with pink clay. But before I even added any clays or oats etc it had already reached a thick ploppy pudding like trace.
I stressed a bit that it was going to get to thick. But in hindsight, it really wasn't that bad.

Being my first soap I didn't want to mess it up, so I didn't do a 2 color pink/white blend, I just did 1 color. I added the pink clay and my lavender and oats and lavender essential oil. Mixed it all in and put it in my mold.

I'll do 2 colors for my next soap..

I decorated it with a few corn flowers and it is on the shelf setting up now.

Touch wood it comes out fine.

I'll update tomorrow when I unmold and cut.

View attachment 47748
It's always safer to weigh in grams than ounces. 28 grams equals one ounce. So if you are off by a gram it's not big deal, but if you are off by an ounce, that's a problem. I like to round down with lye and round up with oils - that gives you a cushion. For example if you need 44.4 grams of lye - I would use 44 grams. If you need 87.8 grams of olive oil round up to 88. If you can only weight by 5 gram increments, I would use 45 grams of lye and 90 grams of oils. Hope this makes sense.

Latest posts