What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(I HATE cleaning the stick blender lol!)
Cleaning the stick blender is so easy - just add hot water to your sink or your soap batter bowl. Then run the blender at full speed for a minute or two. The dried up soap just blends away into the hot water.

If you need to clean the blender before the soap on it has dried (because you made one batch and want to make more right away, haha), add some grease-cutting dish soap to the hot water before blending.

I do the same with my Vitamix after making smoothies - hot water, few drops of dish liquid, and blend for 30 seconds. Works like a charm :)

After realizing I hadn't posted on my social media pages for almost two months (!), I photographed 4 batches of soaps I made a few weeks ago, and started working on scheduling posts to tease the new bars and hopefully build anticipation for when they are finally released. I guess I could call it a summer line, since they are all summery fragrances, and new ones that I haven't used before.

This is the soap I made yesterday... Stout & Chocolate. I used a FO called Oak Barrel Cider and it smells a-maz-ing! Used my new cutter and got such wonderfully straight cuts! I'm in soap heaven!

Attachments

• Stout & Chocolate 2.jpg
    Stout & Chocolate 2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 26
This is the soap I made yesterday... Stout & Chocolate. I used a FO called Oak Barrel Cider and it smells a-maz-ing! Used my new cutter and got such wonderfully straight cuts! I'm in soap heaven!
Was that FO from NDA? I have one called that from them that I haven't tried yet.

I will have to check but I think it's from Windy Point. I'll get back to you. Yes, it's from, Windy Point. Where abouts are you located?

Last edited:
Made this yesterday with some scraps and shamelessly stole @KiwiMoose design idea. I hope she takes it as a compliment as I love the design. Gives the confetti soap a much more interesting look. It was a bit more work as I made a separate batch for the bottom layer and waited for it to harden before I poured the confetti part. I didn’t want it to break through. Thank you @KiwiMoose for the inspiration! I scented it with a combination of Lemon Verbena, Lily Lemondrop and Coconut Lemongrass. It smells soooo good!
Absolutely love it! And funnily enough I was thinking of you yesterday when I made this: 15AD9BB8-400F-4847-81CD-A9940ABC7A80.jpegFCA659F7-039D-42CC-B668-4FDF19908E04.jpeg
I’m calling it Black Cotton Candy.

Absolutely love it! And funnily enough I was thinking of you yesterday when I made this: View attachment 47578View attachment 47579
I’m calling it Black Cotton Candy.

I love it! Thats too funny! I'm dubbing us “The Confetti Sisters”. Lol. I have so many scraps I could make confetti soap everyday. I love the way it looks and I love not wasting it. For some reason I have no interest in rebatching so confetti it is!

I love it! Thats too funny! I'm dubbing us “The Confetti Sisters”. Lol. I have so many scraps I could make confetti soap everyday. I love the way it looks and I love not wasting it. For some reason I have no interest in rebatching so confetti it is!
LOL - I'm not a keen rebatcher either - all that crockpot carry-on. The black soap gave me an opportunity to use a discolouring FO (cotton candy) and I thought it was kinda quirky to have 'Black Cotton Candy'. Might start a new thread about confetti soaps so everyone can put their pics in for ideas.

LOL - I'm not a keen rebatcher either - all that crockpot carry-on.
No crockpots for me, either! I either do the confetti thing, or melt my rebatches in the microwave. I do plan to try @IrishLass ' oven-rebatching some day, too, but right now, it's too hot to turn on the oven. 😓

I love the idea of a confetti and/or rebatch thread!!

Welp. I tried my hand at HP for the first time.
I did a modified small batch version of Genny’s Shampoo bar. I think I let it get slightly too hot at 220F. It was honestly rather ok but I flew too close to the sun when it came to adding the additives when it cooled. Too much honey perhaps. 2 tsp in my cooled lye and 1 more tsp added with my super fat and some reserved coconut milk. Its going to be crumbly I’d say. I wish it were more fluid...I did manage to get it in the mold and get rid of some drier bits 🤦🏻‍♀️
322E6E24-BACD-4756-80C6-A050B9E822D4.jpeg

@sarahmarah it looks good! Getting fluid HP is a learning curve, for sure. Not overcooking it is usually the first place to start. Also, resist the temptation to scrape all those dried bits off the side of your cooking container back into the batter. They just stay dried and overcooked, contributing to that rusty, crumbly look. But fortunately, the soap isn't usually crumbly once it firms and cools.

@sarahmarah it looks good! Getting fluid HP is a learning curve, for sure. Not overcooking it is usually the first place to start. Also, resist the temptation to scrape all those dried bits off the side of your cooking container back into the batter. They just stay dried and overcooked, contributing to that rusty, crumbly look. But fortunately, the soap isn't usually crumbly once it firms and cools.

Thanks! I’ll give it another go at some point 😊

Made my second batch of salt soap today. I really enjoy making it! It went really smoothly. I was going for a orangey yellow, and they came out a little too muddled orange. I used 10g yellow clay and 5g red clay, but I forgot the orange 10x EO is super orange. Next time I would leave out the red clay and use 15-20g yellow clay. They are scented with the 10x orange and peppermint EO and my garage smells divine!!! I rushed my last bars and got some unsightly smooshy parts. So,, this time I’m really gonna let them sit in the mold until they’re nice and hard. Everyone kept writing that the salt hardens super fast, but mine took a long time to get hard. Any idea why?
It's the individual cavity molds. They are so much easier to use for salt bars, but I have to set mine on a heating pad to get them to gel. I can unmold the next day without babysitting a loaf to unmold and cut before it gets too hard.

I cut my One Pot Wonder today. It doesn't really look like the technique but I think it's pretty none-the-less. My technique leaves a lot to be desired. I used a turquoise and emerald green - wish the green would have been brighter. I used a FO called Jamaica Me Crazy and it is very nice and is still hanging in. Hope it survives the cure.

I was just considering trying that technique with HP. I assume my lines will be thicker but am curious to see if it can be done. Your bars are stunning!

It's the individual cavity molds. They are so much easier to use for salt bars, but I have to set mine on a heating pad to get them to gel. I can unmold the next day without babysitting a loaf to unmold and cut before it gets too hard.
I didn’t put it on the heating pad because I had heard the dramatic warnings of it hardening too fast to be able to cut it. I kind of like the opaque look with these, so I wasn’t worried about them gelling.
Should I still put the salt soap on the heating pad after I pour it into the individual molds?

I made.... 🍇 soap today. 😊.
Those colors are amazing! What are they?

I didn’t put it on the heating pad because I had heard the dramatic warnings of it hardening too fast to be able to cut it. I kind of like the opaque look with these, so I wasn’t worried about them gelling.
Should I still put the salt soap on the heating pad after I pour it into the individual molds?
Well, that's just what works for me. I do it to be able to unmold the next day, and if my salt bars don't gel they tend to get ash. So those are my reasons for forcing gel with them. If you don't mind waiting a day or so longer to get them unmolded, it's fine to leave them to harden up on their own. If you are using individual cavity molds, you won't need to cut them. A loaf mold will heat up and gel on it's own, usually quickly, and that's why people have to watch the soap to make sure to unmold and cut before it gets too hard.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back