What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn’t make soap today, but I bought a shelf to put on the wall above my soaping cart (rolling kitchen island) as I am out of room on the drawers for my colors. Picked up a Commando Hook so I can hang up my stick blender. My husband bought me a 5-shelf rack to cure soap, store products and the bottom shelf is good for bulkier supples.

Oh...and my Mac Sports Double Decker Wagon and net came in. My sister has one that she uses for her craft night and we used it for the Craft Fair and it was wonderful. Tons of room and it folds flat and is lightweight.

View attachment 42476
Triple butter soap, with shea, mango and cocoa butters... Colored with red sandalwood powder and pink clay. Scented with geranium, lavender, patchouli and clove, in descending order. I like it more than the previous meat soap this recipe turned out lol
OMG - that is beautiful Dawni! Yes - I remember that meat soap - haha.

Big fail for me yesterday. I attempted a red, green, white mantra swirl following a recipe from Amanda Gale using my master batch of various oils. Unfortunately I entirely forgot to run my oils through a lye calculator and just went with her %s that were based on BB’s Basic Quick Mix. When I removed my soap from the mold, the bottom was coated with oil, the colors were too pastel (even though I forced gel...I thought) and the bars were super soft. They look hideous. Round two tomorrow WITH a lye calculator this time.

View attachment 42476
Triple butter soap, with shea, mango and cocoa butters... Colored with red sandalwood powder and pink clay. Scented with geranium, lavender, patchouli and clove, in descending order. I like it more than the previous meat soap this recipe turned out lol
I love it. The colors and swirling are soooo pretty.

Big fail for me yesterday. I attempted a red, green, white mantra swirl following a recipe from Amanda Gale using my master batch of various oils. Unfortunately I entirely forgot to run my oils through a lye calculator and just went with her %s that were based on BB’s Basic Quick Mix. When I removed my soap from the mold, the bottom was coated with oil, the colors were too pastel (even though I forced gel...I thought) and the bars were super soft. They look hideous. Round two tomorrow WITH a lye calculator this time.
Sorry to hear that. Can you do something with the the soap? Maybe not with that color combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that. Can you do something with the the soap? Maybe not with that color combo.
I don’t know what to do with it. I guess I could rebatch it with more of the green mica since I scented it with an FO that smells like a fir tree. I need to redeem myself tomorrow and make a totally different batch. This time with a lye calculator.

I *might* be getting the hang of soaping warm with palm and shea, which seems like another world compared with using lard at room temperature. I upped my water a tiny bit and held way back on the stick blending for a soap I made today. I managed to survive an accelerating FO and make multiple layers in the soap. Hopefully it will turn out as planned. This wasn’t the palm extreme recipe I’m aiming for, but it was a step in the right direction. I’m also having to learn about how to ensure the soap gels, which I never worry about with lard. It’s almost like learning to make soap for the first time :hairpulling:

I don’t know what to do with it. I guess I could rebatch it with more of the green mica since I scented it with an FO that smells like a fir tree. I need to redeem myself tomorrow and make a totally different batch. This time with a lye calculator.
If you could split out most of the red, you might be able to get green and brown for rebatch, which would, work nicely with that scent.

OK - I made my 'Vanilla Latte' Soap, using up a few FOs before they were past their best ( brewed coffee for lye water). Added coconut milk for extra creaminess. I added some cinnamon leaf EO and totally forgot about the fact it would accelerated trace. OMG! I had pudding on my hands within seconds. Anyhoo, I managed to split it - colour a layer with cocoa and cinnamon powder for the base, poured, and then mix TD and coffee grounds for the top layer, poured and swirled. The base was pretty rock solid when I tried to swirl - so I hope there aren't air pockets in there now. Fingers crossed!
IMG_1543.jpeg

Soap is made from the bits n pieces that fell off when I unmolded the previous soap, pieces from the cleanup and scrapings from the pot. I microwaved them.
Is that little heart, just right and up a little from the center, on purpose? So cute! Luv it!

Any suggestions on how many tbsp of coffee grounds to use PPO?
1 tsp - 1 tablespoon PPO is the general rule of thumb for adding dry ingredients. Because coffee grounds are fairly abrasive, I'd go with less than a tablespoon... or, more likely, opt for instant coffee. ;)

The base was pretty rock solid when I tried to swirl - so I hope there aren't air pockets in there now. Fingers crossed!
Cross Fingers.jpg

View attachment 42476
Those are beautiful - and the fragrance blend sounds divine.

Rebatch into scrubby charcoal by adding in some coarse oatmeal and a healthy amount of charcoal. They are good sellers for me.

Not feeling particularly inspired to deal with soap lately (blaming my erratic life schedule and the universe that keeps kicking me when I'm down), so I went with instant gratification over the weekend and made five different shampoo bars. Syndets, people, calm yo'self down. Thoroughly enjoyed myself playing with my round press mold. Hubby figures between the soap and the shampoo bars we should be clean through the apocalypse. (He's not wrong.) Took some soap pictures.

Later this week I might tackle the spin swirl challenge again, or maybe I'll keep it simple and do a couple single color soaps.

This wasn’t the palm extreme recipe I’m aiming for, but it was a step in the right direction. I’m also having to learn about how to ensure the soap gels, which I never worry about with lard. It’s almost like learning to make soap for the first time :hairpulling:

Your soaps are always so beautiful, I am in awe of your talent. But I'm curious, and forgive me if you've mentioned it elsewhere, why are you aiming for a "palm extreme" recipe?

Back