What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m very new to all this so I’m still collecting ingredients and equipment!
Today my high precision scales arrived - accurate to 0.001g. I really hope that’s accurate enough!
I’m spending probably way too much thinking about what there’s going to be a market for.
I’m particularly tickled by the idea of natural deodorants. There’s definitely a market for those here in the uk.
I trained as an aromatherapist a long time ago so I’ve been re-reading my books.
For some reason I’m wracked with anxiety about not being able to create great eo blends. I guess I just have to try different blends and see which ones work?

I haven't done anything except make a few soapy purchases but find myself stalling--maybe I need a nap or the sun to come out. I want to felt a couple soaps today and make some more bubble bars. and my labels are coming today YAHOO so I can finish labeling. I want to try bath bombs also (I have only tried once with a kit and they were real bad--I think this is why I am stalling cuz once I get the other things done that's next)

Meant recently learned
@tspin Nicely done! Pretty soaps. TIP: If you look at the bottom of your post #13,902 there's an "Edit" button you can use to change something. Easy peasy. ;)

ETA: Forgot to mention... it's only available for 24 hours. :rolleyes:

thanks for this Dawni--you posted t the perfect time for me. I was planning on making lavender lotion bars this afternoon, these saw amazing. can i ask the ratio you use? i will be using either lemongrass or litsea :)
Not Dawni, but i checked www.eocalc.com and it came up with this rosemary/lavender/litsea blend that I think would be lovely in a lotion bar -- plus she gives you safe usage rates for the size of the batch you are making:

https://www.eocalc.com/blends/flourish/

Last edited by a moderator:
Not Dawni, but i checked www.eocalc.com and it came up with this rosemary/lavender/litsea blend that I think would be lovely in a lotion bar -- plus she gives you safe usage rates for the size of the batch you are making:

I saw something similar to this and wanted to try it.. But I've been reading conflicting info on Rosemary EO. Since I use my lotion bars (I still breastfeed) and my baby uses them too I figured I'd stay away from it for now.

No soapy thing today until Sunday for sure.. I'm out of town for All Soul's Day.

Cherry Wall Pour.jpg
I used a cherry FO and did a wall pour. I'm still trying to find a design I like for the cherry FO. Maybe a ITP swirl or a hanger swirl? The wall pour looks like tree rings to me :)

Thanks Zany--that does sound like a nice blend--Rosemary is very nice mixed with stuff as is Basil--too much by themselves though. I will definitely check out that link. and thanks for the heads up that you could only edit for 24 hours--I never knew that

I used a cherry FO and did a wall pour. I'm still trying to find a design I like for the cherry FO.

I really like that pour but I am wondering if you switched the colors up a bit?? maybe instead of the yellow if you would maybe mix your red with a bit of black to make it darker so you would have two shades of red

Made 2 batches of ombre soap. It's my first attempt at it and so far so good. Looking forward to cutting it!

Also considering getting another mold and wanted thoughts or suggestions. I'm looking at acrylic molds that are long and tall, but can't seem to decide on which option of sizes. There's one that's 3" wide and 3.5" tall and another that's 3.5" wide and 3" tall. The length is either 12 or 18". What is the benefit of having it taller than wide or vice versa?

After 10 solid days translating instruction manuals for rail tamping machinery, the time came to make a decision: douse the computer in lighter fuel, set fire to it, and dance around the flames, or make soap...

I made soap. Did some lurking on this brilliant forum and found advice, warnings, how-tos and other stuff on making some chocolate soap. And I did. 100% cocoa powder, a touch of chocolate FO and lots of love, and it's sitting happily in its mould, smelling like a box of chocolates.

Did me a lot of good. That's one of the things I love about soapmaking, it gets you back in touch with the world. And the computer is not on fire (yet).

Happy soaping, everyone

I really like that pour but I am wondering if you switched the colors up a bit?? maybe instead of the yellow if you would maybe mix your red with a bit of black to make it darker so you would have two shades of red

I see what you're saying. Like Bing and Rainier? That would look good. Thanks for the suggestion!

Made 2 batches of ombre soap. It's my first attempt at it and so far so good. Looking forward to cutting it!

Also considering getting another mold and wanted thoughts or suggestions. I'm looking at acrylic molds that are long and tall, but can't seem to decide on which option of sizes. There's one that's 3" wide and 3.5" tall and another that's 3.5" wide and 3" tall. The length is either 12 or 18". What is the benefit of having it taller than wide or vice versa?
Taller bars are easier to hold in your hand and therefore easier to use.

wrapping 35 soaps and repacking everything for my market tomorrow--I made up a couple gift baskets--hopefully those will go over.....other than that I am just trying to find spots for all the soapy things--it seems i spent a good portion of my time re-arranging this stuff or buying more that I have to find a spot for

Good afternoon,
Here are two more that I made. I'm so excited. Anyone else use melt and pour. I really can't wait to start swirls in CP.

I agree with a taller bar vs. a wider bar. I just ordered dividers for my Acrilic mold. I have a small one tho for practice soaps.

I think too it may depend on how you will creat your design and how you cut it.

What I love about my Acrilic mold is you can see the soap and easy to take apart

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    309.1 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to the help of my parents, I have finished shrinkwrapping and labelling almost all soaps for Saturday's market. I think they secretly enjoy the shrinkwrapping process. I had planned to make a few batches of lip balms and bubblebath dough but accidentally took a long nap instead.
How does the bubblebath dough work out? I am thinking about making some for my Holiday market? I am in need of something different. Bubblescoops did not do well last year. :(

I am going to try to get to a batch of Vanilla Lavender soap today after 2 batches of Lotion.

How does the bubblebath dough work out? I am thinking about making some for my Holiday market? I am in need of something different. Bubblescoops did not do well last year. :(

I am going to try to get to a batch of Vanilla Lavender soap today after 2 batches of Lotion.

@cmzaha this is my first time making it, so I can't comment on how it will sell until after this weekend's market. It is a pain to make though, sooo sticky. I found it really difficult to scrape the sides of the bowl to incorporate the powder. I did try to masterbatch this and that could have contributed to my problems. I made 7 different colours/scents. It has to sit for 24 hours and should become more workable so i'll need to knead it a bit tonight before packaging for any colour that didn't mix in. I can let you know if they draw interest at the sale after this weekend.

Latest posts

Back