What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my first pipe divider swirl soap in a little 6” square slab mold. The pipes are small and maybe the batter was a little too thick, but the tops are pretty. I’m guessing the soap didn’t make it to the lines I will cut on. I think I used a skewer. Should I have used something bigger, like a chopstick, to do the swirling?

That is something I want to try. I haven't made any slabs yet because I am afraid of botching the cutting. I figured I would made a slab out of one of the bazillion boxes I have.

very pretty but I am not quite sure what you are talking about with the soap not making it to the lines?? I would love to see the cut
I’m wondering if the soap on the inside of the bars was moved out enough from the vertical center lines of the bars to show up at the edges of the bars when I cut them.
That is something I want to try. I haven't made any slabs yet because I am afraid of botching the cutting.
my fear, too!

show up at the edges of the bars when I cut them.

gotcha. I have always wanted to try that swirl--the only thing I have done with my slab is column pours. cant wait to see pics of cuts

I just finished my last market soap--hope it turns out this time!! now I am thinking of how to make baskets for sale--I have quite a few fruity soaps so am planning on making a fruit basket and then a unicorn type basket--thinking of putting them in a basket without a handle and tying a big ribbon across the top

It always takes me about 3 tries (or is that 7 tries :)) to get a soap close to what I planned. This is the first time I tried putting embeds on the top of batter in a slab mold. I worked about 10F degrees warmer than usual so the embeds wouldn’t sink and now the top of the white base batter is not going to be as smooth as I hoped. I also lost some of the side points on the anchor. It wasn’t until after I took all of them out of the mold that it occurred to me that I could’ve put the mold in the freezer :eek:. Learning, learning, learning!

58AD4481-9521-4608-B57F-678484AB6013.jpeg

I also used RBO in this recipe for the first time and now I’m thinking that the extra palmitic and stearic FAs in RBO compared with OO or HO Sun gave this recipe a little extra oomph. Despite using 35% lye, the soap is going through gel, which is very unusual for this recipe.

Last edited:
I made my first pipe divider swirl soap in a little 6” square slab mold. The pipes are small and maybe the batter was a little too thick, but the tops are pretty. I’m guessing the soap didn’t make it to the lines I will cut on. I think I used a skewer. Should I have used something bigger, like a chopstick, to do the swirling?

View attachment 42261
I have no suggestions on the technique having never tried it myself - I just want to clap for those soaps! SO pretty!
It always takes me about 3 tries (or is that 7 tries :)) to get a soap close to what I planned. This is the first time I tried putting embeds on the top of batter in a slab mold. I worked about 10F degrees warmer than usual so the embeds wouldn’t sink and now the top of the white base batter is not going to be as smooth as I hoped. I also lost some of the side points on the anchor. It wasn’t until after I took all of them out of the mold that it occurred to me that I could’ve put the mold in the freezer :eek:. Learning, learning, learning!

View attachment 42270

I also used RBO in this recipe for the first time and now I’m thinking that the extra palmitic and stearic FAs in RBO compared with OO or HO Sun gave this recipe a little extra oomph. Despite using 35% lye, the soap is going through gel, which is very unusual for this recipe.
Um .. all I see is perfection. :)

I'm one week from a work trip out of state. Two weeks from closing on my house, and then the moving starts. So the only soapy thing I have been able to do is stare at my supplies and equipment that still need to be packed and think about how long it will be before the craziness dies down enough for me to make soap again.

Last edited:
I made melt and pour soap for the very first time. I needed something fast for my church’s Fall Festival tomorrow. I used a chartreuse green that made the soap look like anti-freeze, so cool for Halloween. I also added Mm’s “Glow Green” for the glow in the dark. I used “Cotton Candy” FO with vanilla stabilizer for one batch. Then “Grapefruit Bellini” without vanilla stabilizer (didn’t need it) for the other batch. Today the grapefruit smells like celery and the C. Candy just smells. I wish I would’ve started way earlier and done CP.

No soap again today. I tweaked my deodorant sticks once again. They work well but can not get past the melty, so I am adding in some Zinc Ricinoleate. Hopefully it will toughen them up just enough at a low percentage since it is pricey. Back too taking of labels and re-labeling or adding on a little label. That would be a tad tacky but I just might do it this time.

i unmolded my second "last batch" of unicorn soaps got 2 out of 6 that didn't break---not a good way to end my soaping for the year but I WILL NOT try again.

I did restock on lavender-lemon lotion bars though. Mom's friends love em

thanks for this Dawni--you posted t the perfect time for me. I was planning on making lavender lotion bars this afternoon, these saw amazing. can i ask the ratio you use? i will be using either lemongrass or litsea :)

I did soap dishes. Still waiting for the sage smoke to clear in the soap dungeon. :D

Son came to me with a request - normally he hogs all of my DB bars, but knowing I was almost out (at that time, I am out now) he was trying to extend the life of his DB bar by smooshing* it together with another soap I had made. *Smooshing in this case is just setting the bars on top of each other when they are wet until they form a single bar. There were no soaps harmed in the making of his experiment* He said he really liked the two scents together and asked me to make a batch of DB and NG's Werewolf mixed. I'm totally on board, but not sure what to call it... Dragonsbane? Lupin Breath? Furry Scales? Magic Sauce?

I think tonight I will make the castile soap because that will be ok to sit in mold for a few days while I am out of town.

thanks for this Dawni--you posted t the perfect time for me. I was planning on making lavender lotion bars this afternoon, these saw amazing. can i ask the ratio you use? i will be using either lemongrass or litsea :)
I'm very light handed with EOs and I don't use FOs. You might need more :)

This batch was only 300g total, and I didn't bother with weights coz the amounts are miniscule. 9 drops lavender and 6 drops lemon, so 3 drops lavender and 2 drops lemon per 100 grams hehehe. The lemon I have is quite strong compared to the lavender so I used less.

The lemon I have is quite strong compared to the lavender so I used less.

I am not a fan of lavender but its ok mixed--maybe I will just do half and half--I only make 4 bars at a time. thanks Dawni!!! on second thought I will do the 3-2 parts, I need to keep reminding myself it isn't for me

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back