What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And my second attempt at swirling... Today I learned that my makeshift swirler from a coat hanger isn't thick enough. Going to probably make one out of stainless. What diameter rod do people recommend? I'm thinking 1/4" or maybe 5/16"

This is hot processed. Not a lot of "swirl"

View attachment 38998
You can buy tubing from a brew supply store and run your clothes hanger through that. BTW, what the heck is a gear tie?

Took new pics for the Web site yesterday and added them today.
Took months to get were it was not raining and the grass was green

the grass is all green and pretty here and the flowering trees are all flowered but its been raining for a few days and we are supposed to get frost tonight so time to cover up the cold flowers...….could be worse 135 north of here they are getting snow again

Used indigo to make some salt bars and a sorta Taiwan swirl loaf... it started with Taiwan swirl but i just kept adding
How about a pic.gif

I have two gear ties but still use my hanger with a stripped piece of cable wire over it--don't have any particular reason other than I am a creature of habit

BEA365B8-6551-48A2-9E23-0374E85F3B35.jpeg
Was supposed to tidy up and master batch oils, so of course I made soap!:rolleyes: I’m “over” tiger stripes until the judging is over. Made this beauty this afternoon.

I have two gear ties but still use my hanger with a stripped piece of cable wire over it--don't have any particular reason other than I am a creature of habit
I don’t like using a gear tie if the batter gets thick. Too flexible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh? It's a lot more swirl than many of us can manage in HP lol. Great job!

And you just reminded me, that of all the things to not try, I've not tried a hanger swirl lol

No soapy thing today other than receiving indigo powder, which I can't wait to use.

It’s very nice. I love that sort of Wedgewood blue color.

Thanks guys! It's okay just not what I was hoping for. In addition to the hanger being way too thin, I also realized afterwards that I was moving it in there likely way too fast. Sorta like pulling the tablecloth out from under a set table quickly, leaving most of the dishes undisturbed vs moving slowly (and causing a disturbance).

I'm planning on fabbing something with some stainless rod because it sounds fun. Deciding now between just bending the rod vs welding the ends on. Will also try to turn some small handles out of some heavy duty plastic and maybe a little knurling for grip... Sounds like a fun project.

Hopefully I can get that done and make another soap batch on Wednesday and give the swirl another go.

I transferred some micas from bags to plastic jars. The ziplock bags loose their ability to stay closed over time and I keep making a mess every time I go through my mica stash as a result. I bought these at Dollar Tree for this purpose a long time ago, but am only now beginning to transfer some of the micas from bags that won't securely close anymore. Then I prepared some colorants for my next batch of soap, but that's as far as I got on this batch.

I'm hungry and need to eat, so I'll just make dinner. Maybe after Hubby goes to bed tonight I'll start getting the oils measured so I can make the soap in the morning after he leaves for work tomorrow.

I transferred some micas from bags to plastic jars. The ziplock bags loose their ability to stay closed over time and I keep making a mess every time I go through my mica stash as a result. I bought these at Dollar Tree for this purpose a long time ago, but am only now beginning to transfer some of the micas from bags that won't securely close anymore. Then I prepared some colorants for my next batch of soap, but that's as far as I got on this batch.

I'm hungry and need to eat, so I'll just make dinner. Maybe after Hubby goes to bed tonight I'll start getting the oils measured so I can make the soap in the morning after he leaves for work tomorrow.
Good idea Earlene! Those little bags are so fiddly to manage at the best of times.

How much soap do you usually take to a craft fair or show for a day or three?

I pretty much take as much as I can. I never know what I may run out of so I take it all. For this weekend I have 20 different scents in soap/type and will take 24 jars of sugar scrub (that's all the time I had to make) and probably 100 lip balms.

I pretty much take as much as I can. I never know what I may run out of so I take it all. For this weekend I have 20 different scents in soap/type and will take 24 jars of sugar scrub (that's all the time I had to make) and probably 100 lip balms.
Thanks, Shunt 2011. My goal is to be good enough to sell at a more professional craft show than Tractor Supply, although that was a good learning experience in itself. I just didn’t know what volumes of soap folks bring to juried events.

Latest posts

Back