What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does everyone use MP for embeds?
99.9% of all my embeds are M&P. and I thought this said does anyone - not everyone.

For me, it just takes too long to make them in CP when I have 1 mold and need several, I can't wait days (or at least don't want to) to make only a few at a time when I can do several within the same day because M&P can set up and be popped out so quickly compared to CP
(hope this makes sense)

99.9% of all my embeds are M&P. and I thought this said does anyone - not everyone.

For me, it just takes too long to make them in CP when I have 1 mold and need several, I can't wait days (or at least don't want to) to make only a few at a time when I can do several within the same day because M&P can set up and be popped out so quickly compared to CP
(hope this makes sense)

thank you for posting this I would never have thought of doing this--fantastic......I have been putting of making more embeds cuz I only have a few embed molds also and I thought it was a royal pain to do

Does everyone use MP for embeds?
It depends on what the embed is being used for, how big the mold is, and what type of detailing I want to do. This was last weekend's embed making:
upload_2019-5-14_14-2-50.png

The Dracula teeth were mp (there was no way I was getting those to work out with cp). The rest of them are cp: to the left of the teeth are apples that will go on top of cupcakes. I split my cupcakes in half and my cutter won't go through mp so those needed to be cp. To the right of the teeth is a round embed to go inside a soap, so that also needed to be cp for my cutter, behind that is some ball embeds to go on cupcakes, above that a sweater cable knit and button embeds to go on top of a soap loaf so those also needed to be cut through. So basically... if I need to cut through it, it has to be cp. I usually don't have a problem cutting through cp embeds regardless of age, so I will plan my embeds for the next six months - even if there's a chance I won't make the soap - so that way I can do a reasonable amount of cp (the embeds above was 8oz of oil which is the smallest amount I will make).

Sometimes I do need more embeds than one round with the mold will make - like the apples, I will need to do another pour - so I noted how much that mold holds and will add that to another batch of soap to pour off. It's really not as much of a pain as it sounds, I just have to remember to do it, lol. I'm pretty small potatoes, so making these few cp embeds really isn't a big deal. If I were bigger than I would do mp and figure out how to cut better.

I unmolded my cupcakes last night. The two tone greens were a complete fail, the colors are currently too close to each other to tell the difference. I'm hoping they will cure to the proper greens. I can't remember if one of the greens morphs during cure or not. I know I have a few yellows and oranges that will do that, so hoping one of the greens will do the same. I have a pile of dishes to do, and I need to masterbatch oils and lye. Hopefully tomorrow night I will take a second stab at the tiger stripe challenge, maybe play with some foaming butter.

I have my lye solution cooling down for a soleseife! I haven't soaped in weeks and I can't wait for the kiddo to sleep so I can start lol.

Is there such a thing as too strong? My favourite Lush soap stinks out the the entire bathroom and I love it!
If I kept one of those in my living room I bet it would stink up my whole house haha. Unfortunately, my dad, elder boy and sister can't walk past a Lush store without breaking into sneezing fits, and all their products are a tad too expensive for my stingy self lol

Polishing up some soap I cut yesterday. Trying to decide when to photograph.

Finished registration for Soaping conferences. My granddaughter is going to be attending with me in July. I had not even thought of inviting her, but my husband suggested it & thought she'd really enjoy it, so I asked and she seems eager to attend. She chose her 2 workshops and it's all set! So we will do that a week before we go to Hawaii.

ETA: I took the photos. I like the resulting soap design, but plan to make this again tomorrow to see if I can improve on it before choosing photos to post. In fact, the design is really growing on me. I will share more about this in the next couple of days or so.

Last edited:
Polishing up some soap I cut yesterday. Trying to decide when to photograph.

Finished registration for Soaping conferences. My granddaughter is going to be attending with me in July. I had not even thought of inviting her, but my husband suggested it & thought she'd really enjoy it, so I asked and she seems eager to attend. She chose her 2 workshops and it's all set! So we will do that a week before we go to Hawaii.

ETA: I took the photos. I like the resulting soap design, but plan to make this again tomorrow to see if I can improve on it before choosing photos to post. In fact, the design is really growing on me. I will share more about this in the next couple of days or so.
To polish soap Earlene - is that when you dunk them in water? I have some knife 'drag' marks on mine that I would like to remove.

@Dawni - yes, very expensive, precisely why I recently made a copy of my favourite Lush soap - Karma. It's not quite the same as the original, but not bad.

Received my lye shipment at 7:30 this morning and made 2 batches of soap. The first is a new recipe I'm trying with Mango Butter. The second batch was my first attempt at the Tiger Stripe. The colors look good but I think the batter might have been a smidge too thick towards the end. I just have to wait and see how they look when I cut them tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

To polish soap Earlene - is that when you dunk them in water? I have some knife 'drag' marks on mine that I would like to remove.

I just shine them up with a micro-fiber cloth. Sometimes I spray a bit of alcohol on first; sometimes not.

As for knife drag marks, I use my planer to remove any irregularities and then follow with a quick polishing if needed to encourage a nice sheen.

I have my lye solution cooling down for a soleseife! I haven't soaped in weeks and I can't wait for the kiddo to sleep so I can start lol.

If I kept one of those in my living room I bet it would stink up my whole house haha. Unfortunately, my dad, elder boy and sister can't walk past a Lush store without breaking into sneezing fits, and all their products are a tad too expensive for my stingy self lol
Makes you wonder how much FO they’re using.

I don’t know if I’m supposed to post this here because when I tried to post on the craft fair forum, my post was deleted; I haven’t been a member long enough and don’t have 50 posts to my name. So I’ll try to make this soapy. I have been working non-stop getting ready for our Tractor Supply Market Day this Saturday To the point where my daughter said I’m wearing a wedding dress to McDonalds. LOL i think my display will be cool and (here’s the soapy part) I bought a hand-held steamer to shine up my bars. I should have taken before and afters but didn’t think of it until just now. Anyway, the steamer was definitely well worth buying.

I have done nothing this week - unless ordering a new tent for summer shows counts. I will be kicking it into gear this weekend, as I will begin show prepping for my first show of the year June 1 & 2. Might have to pay a kid to help me shrink wrap and label soaps...

Not a darn thing. Have my first show next weekend and have not nearly the amount of soap I usually have and zero scrubs or lip balms. Hoping to get it done this weekend then label all my soaps and scrubs. Need to get out of this depression and anxiety.

Made a batch of my soap that I'm hoping to make the main staple of my sales; the general make-up of the recipe that is, the colors and scents will change per batch. Except I was dumb and didn't compensate between molds (these were square, the first were oval) and ended up with only enough soap to make ten bars instead of the full twelve. The color and scent turned out nicely, though. A nice rose tint and scent. Next time, I'll try some extracts or essential oil just to see what it brings to the table.

Soooo.....
_20190517_183900.JPG

Thickened up too quick before I could scrape the sides of my containers, hence the very sloppy tops. This is a soleseife, colored with turmeric and moringa (which seems to have disappeared underneath lol).

Latest posts

Back