What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. May 14, 2019 at 6:16 AM #11,781

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

Well I cut My 3rd attempt at HP Tiger Stripe and while its not as perfect as I was hoping, Im going to enter it anyway. The colors turned out vibrant and I like the way it looks so even if the pattern is not perfect, its still a pretty soap. Now waiting for the end of the month lol

Dawni and KiwiSoap like this.
  2. May 14, 2019 at 8:22 AM #11,782

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

I, too, have just cut my tiger stripe soap for the challenge. For a change, I decided to use 30% lye concentration (I usually use 28%). I found that it made no difference to the fluidity of the soap, but, boy, did it make a huge (positive) difference to the finished product! MUCH easier to get out of the mould, quicker to set up, and easier to handle generally. I did have to apply a bit of heat to my knife though to get it to cut through - it was generally a much firmer soap than I'm used to.

Lin19687, KiwiSoap and msunnerstood like this.
  3. May 14, 2019 at 10:53 AM #11,783

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

I did the opposit and used a higher fluid percentage. I did have to leave it in the mold a little bit longer then normal . Can't wait to see how yours turned out at the end of the month

Lin19687 and KiwiMoose like this.
  4. May 14, 2019 at 1:18 PM #11,784

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

I am wishing I had used a bit less of the FO now ;) Nice but strong. Will have to make a note on it for next time

jcandleattic likes this.
  5. May 14, 2019 at 2:26 PM #11,785

Susie

Susie

Susie

Supporting Member

Does everyone use MP for embeds?

6. May 14, 2019 at 2:29 PM #11,786

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

I can't speak for everyone but I do.... sometimes. Often, if I have a bit of soap batter left in my bowl, I'll pour it into candy molds, to use as embeds at a later date.

Nanette and Susie like this.
  7. May 14, 2019 at 3:44 PM #11,787

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

99.9% of all my embeds are M&P. and I thought this said does anyone - not everyone.

For me, it just takes too long to make them in CP when I have 1 mold and need several, I can't wait days (or at least don't want to) to make only a few at a time when I can do several within the same day because M&P can set up and be popped out so quickly compared to CP
    (hope this makes sense)

Susie likes this.
  8. May 14, 2019 at 5:44 PM #11,788

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

thank you for posting this I would never have thought of doing this--fantastic......I have been putting of making more embeds cuz I only have a few embed molds also and I thought it was a royal pain to do

Susie likes this.
  9. May 14, 2019 at 8:24 PM #11,789

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

It depends on what the embed is being used for, how big the mold is, and what type of detailing I want to do. This was last weekend's embed making:
    upload_2019-5-14_14-2-50.png
    The Dracula teeth were mp (there was no way I was getting those to work out with cp). The rest of them are cp: to the left of the teeth are apples that will go on top of cupcakes. I split my cupcakes in half and my cutter won't go through mp so those needed to be cp. To the right of the teeth is a round embed to go inside a soap, so that also needed to be cp for my cutter, behind that is some ball embeds to go on cupcakes, above that a sweater cable knit and button embeds to go on top of a soap loaf so those also needed to be cut through. So basically... if I need to cut through it, it has to be cp. I usually don't have a problem cutting through cp embeds regardless of age, so I will plan my embeds for the next six months - even if there's a chance I won't make the soap - so that way I can do a reasonable amount of cp (the embeds above was 8oz of oil which is the smallest amount I will make).

Sometimes I do need more embeds than one round with the mold will make - like the apples, I will need to do another pour - so I noted how much that mold holds and will add that to another batch of soap to pour off. It's really not as much of a pain as it sounds, I just have to remember to do it, lol. I'm pretty small potatoes, so making these few cp embeds really isn't a big deal. If I were bigger than I would do mp and figure out how to cut better.

I unmolded my cupcakes last night. The two tone greens were a complete fail, the colors are currently too close to each other to tell the difference. I'm hoping they will cure to the proper greens. I can't remember if one of the greens morphs during cure or not. I know I have a few yellows and oranges that will do that, so hoping one of the greens will do the same. I have a pile of dishes to do, and I need to masterbatch oils and lye. Hopefully tomorrow night I will take a second stab at the tiger stripe challenge, maybe play with some foaming butter.

Susie likes this.
  10. May 14, 2019 at 8:57 PM #11,790

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

Tonight I will be setting up pails for soaping so I can get home and be done before bed time ;)

Susie likes this.
  11. May 14, 2019 at 10:02 PM #11,791

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

I do

Susie likes this.
  12. May 14, 2019 at 10:18 PM #11,792

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Is there such a thing as too strong? My favourite Lush soap stinks out the the entire bathroom and I love it!

Kari Howie and Nanette like this.
  13. May 15, 2019 at 12:10 PM #11,793

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I have my lye solution cooling down for a soleseife! I haven't soaped in weeks and I can't wait for the kiddo to sleep so I can start lol.

If I kept one of those in my living room I bet it would stink up my whole house haha. Unfortunately, my dad, elder boy and sister can't walk past a Lush store without breaking into sneezing fits, and all their products are a tad too expensive for my stingy self lol

14. May 15, 2019 at 3:30 PM #11,794

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Polishing up some soap I cut yesterday. Trying to decide when to photograph.

Finished registration for Soaping conferences. My granddaughter is going to be attending with me in July. I had not even thought of inviting her, but my husband suggested it & thought she'd really enjoy it, so I asked and she seems eager to attend. She chose her 2 workshops and it's all set! So we will do that a week before we go to Hawaii.

ETA: I took the photos. I like the resulting soap design, but plan to make this again tomorrow to see if I can improve on it before choosing photos to post. In fact, the design is really growing on me. I will share more about this in the next couple of days or so.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 7:23 PM
  15. May 15, 2019 at 10:06 PM #11,795

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

To polish soap Earlene - is that when you dunk them in water? I have some knife 'drag' marks on mine that I would like to remove.

@Dawni - yes, very expensive, precisely why I recently made a copy of my favourite Lush soap - Karma. It's not quite the same as the original, but not bad.

Nanette and Dawni like this.
  16. May 16, 2019 at 2:07 PM #11,796

MarnieSoapien

MarnieSoapien

MarnieSoapien

Received my lye shipment at 7:30 this morning and made 2 batches of soap. The first is a new recipe I'm trying with Mango Butter. The second batch was my first attempt at the Tiger Stripe. The colors look good but I think the batter might have been a smidge too thick towards the end. I just have to wait and see how they look when I cut them tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

SYT, Nanette and Dawni like this.
  17. May 16, 2019 at 3:12 PM #11,797

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I just shine them up with a micro-fiber cloth. Sometimes I spray a bit of alcohol on first; sometimes not.

As for knife drag marks, I use my planer to remove any irregularities and then follow with a quick polishing if needed to encourage a nice sheen.

Kari Howie likes this.
  18. May 16, 2019 at 3:37 PM #11,798

Kari Howie

Kari Howie

Kari Howie

Lifetime Supporter

Makes you wonder how much FO they’re using.

19. May 16, 2019 at 3:46 PM #11,799

Kari Howie

Kari Howie

Kari Howie

Lifetime Supporter

I don’t know if I’m supposed to post this here because when I tried to post on the craft fair forum, my post was deleted; I haven’t been a member long enough and don’t have 50 posts to my name. So I’ll try to make this soapy. I have been working non-stop getting ready for our Tractor Supply Market Day this Saturday To the point where my daughter said I’m wearing a wedding dress to McDonalds. LOL i think my display will be cool and (here’s the soapy part) I bought a hand-held steamer to shine up my bars. I should have taken before and afters but didn’t think of it until just now. Anyway, the steamer was definitely well worth buying.

Nanette and msunnerstood like this.
  20. May 16, 2019 at 10:21 PM #11,800

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

I have done nothing this week - unless ordering a new tent for summer shows counts. I will be kicking it into gear this weekend, as I will begin show prepping for my first show of the year June 1 & 2. Might have to pay a kid to help me shrink wrap and label soaps...

Nanette and Kari Howie like this.