What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A steamer (very cheap one) works for soap..Soap Queen has used a nylon stocking to clean up soaps--interesting. My soaps usually have some of everything so cleaning up tips were helpful--Im what you call "rustic" or artistically challenged......sigh

Not a darn thing. Have my first show next weekend and have not nearly the amount of soap I usually have and zero scrubs or lip balms. Hoping to get it done this weekend then label all my soaps and scrubs. Need to get out of this depression and anxiety.
I know that one. I went to my last Spring Craft Fair, with only new lotions and the soaps I had in stock. I only have one rack of curing soap now, which I believe are the same racks you use, so you know how little I have. I normally have 3-4 crates full and I am down to 1.5 crates of soap. The plus side is hubby does not have to carry so many heavy crates :D.

Good luck to you at your craft fair and getting everything ready. I am sure you will be able to get enough ready for next weekend.
crossed fingers2.jpg

Problem for me is I have to catch up on crochet hats since I sold 30 hats the last two Wednesdays. So now I have no time to make soap...

I went home for lunch. Cleaned off my work table. Took the recycling out to the bin. Set out ingredients to make foaming butter and foaming sugar scrub. Want to make soap tonight but need to masterbatch oils and lye, and do dishes. Well... wait... I still have the slow trace recipe masterbatched and enough dishes to make a second attempt at the Tiger Stripe challenge, so maybe I'll do that tonight too. I should have enough remaining lye materbatch for a small 1lb batch.

Not a darn thing. Have my first show next weekend and have not nearly the amount of soap I usually have and zero scrubs or lip balms. Hoping to get it done this weekend then label all my soaps and scrubs. Need to get out of this depression and anxiety.
How much soap do you usually take to a craft fair or show for a day or three?

I plan to spend today photographing soap and working on my blog and e-commerce website. I purchased one of those miniature photo studios. I have no idea how well it works, but the online reviews were solid. Time permitting, I also need to tidy up my soap supplies and master-batch some oils. Then, there’s the half assembled Mach 2 soap cutter garage that I need to finish.

I don’t know if I’m supposed to post this here because when I tried to post on the craft fair forum, my post was deleted; I haven’t been a member long enough and don’t have 50 posts to my name. So I’ll try to make this soapy. I have been working non-stop getting ready for our Tractor Supply Market Day this Saturday To the point where my daughter said I’m wearing a wedding dress to McDonalds. LOL i think my display will be cool and (here’s the soapy part) I bought a hand-held steamer to shine up my bars. I should have taken before and afters but didn’t think of it until just now. Anyway, the steamer was definitely well worth buying.

I bought one of those steamers, too, and I do like the results. I just have to be careful not to burn my fingers with the steam.

Your Tractor Supply Market Day sounds interesting. I have never seen a Market Day at any of the TSC's around here or on my travels. Sounds like fun! I'd like to find one just so I can say I have experienced one. I looked on the website and found out that some stores do them twice a year. I apparently missed my opportunity here locally, as it was last weekend. Well, when I say locally, it's more like 40 miles from here, but I do like TSC stores and like how easy they are to find in my travels.

LOL at you wearing a wedding dress to McDonald's.

Im making Dandelion Shave soap today with my dandelion infused oils. The last batch of shave soap I made came out hard which was good for the containers they are in but ive tweaked it a bit to make shaped bars. Fingers crossed

Here’s a little test loaf I made today. I’m really hoping that there is somewhat layered soap inside :). It’s colored with AC and white clay and scented with an EO blend that is mostly lavender. It’s definitely a Plan B soap, but at least I had the plan thought out in advance. I’m still trying to find a happy place with the workability of the batter, temperature, and my skill set. The mini-mold is a card box from a very outdated Trivial Pursuit game that I picked up at the thrift store. It’s 6” long, 3” high and 2.75” wide and holds 1 pound of oil, which works well for test bars.

BCA4B3E6-F616-470E-B8A5-0582418C7C50.jpeg

And my second attempt at swirling... Today I learned that my makeshift swirler from a coat hanger isn't thick enough. Going to probably make one out of stainless. What diameter rod do people recommend? I'm thinking 1/4" or maybe 5/16"

This is hot processed. Not a lot of "swirl"

View attachment 38998
I use a gear tie. I like them because you can bend them to whatever size mold you are using and they are easy to clean.

Gear tie is a good idea! Though, my other hobby is metalworking/knifemaking so I feel like I need to make something for my soap hobby :D.

Finally got a wide mold that is more the size of soap I was wanting to make. And it's the size batch that I want to make. So, hopefully I won't be using anything other than this mold for a while. But I can always make more than one :)

Today I made soap! First time in a while, I'd intended to try the Tiger Stripe Pour for the challenge but gremlins got in the way of that -- too thick, too fast so it became a Plop 'n' Glob #sigh#

Looking forward to seeing all the successful Tiger Swirls when the competition submission thread opens!

And my second attempt at swirling... Today I learned that my makeshift swirler from a coat hanger isn't thick enough. Going to probably make one out of stainless. What diameter rod do people recommend? I'm thinking 1/4" or maybe 5/16"

This is hot processed. Not a lot of "swirl"

View attachment 38998

Those look great. I like gear ties, too. As long as your HP soap is fluid enough, they should be fine. If it's not very fluid, a gear tie might bend too easily as you try to drag it through the soap, though. I bought a set of different sized gear ties and found that I really don't like it too thick in diameter. So I would not recommend anything much over 1/4 inch. Smaller diameter allows for more detail in the swirls. But so does fluidity of the batter.

Latest posts

Back