What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Peachy Clean Soap I’m sorry to hear that I had such a hard time after your vaccine. I had the dreaded Jansen vaccine and only had a sore arm for a few days and a little fatigue the next day. Most people I have spoken to have had little to no reaction but a handful have felt like you did. It’s so strange that people’s reactions have been so varied. Word is that a strong reaction signals a strong immune system! I hope you continue to feel better each day. ♥️

Just landed back home after my 2 week family visit. Went to check on my soap babies NS the one I made right before leaving has an issue. It’s only on a couple of bars, thank goodness!!! And it’s only on the top purple layer. Weird! I’ve never seen anything like it. Any ideas what could have happened?

Attachments

• 5813C1D8-62EA-44AF-A91C-453D3D6C3250.jpeg
    5813C1D8-62EA-44AF-A91C-453D3D6C3250.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 90306032-B285-4035-ABDF-D5B93CA20C31.jpeg
    90306032-B285-4035-ABDF-D5B93CA20C31.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 24
@Peachy Clean Soap I’m sorry to hear that I had such a hard time after your vaccine. I had the dreaded Jansen vaccine and only had a sore arm for a few days and a little fatigue the next day. Most people I have spoken to have had little to no reaction but a handful have felt like you did. It’s so strange that people’s reactions have been so varied. Word is that a strong reaction signals a strong immune system! I hope you continue to feel better each day. ♥
Much appreciation, Thank you Dear.
thats's a refreshing thought in that a strong reaction is a strong immune system. 💫👍🏼

Just landed back home after my 2 week family visit. Went to check on my soap babies NS the one I made right before leaving has an issue. It’s only on a couple of bars, thank goodness!!! And it’s only on the top purple layer. Weird! I’ve never seen anything like it. Any ideas what could have happened?
Excessive TD? That's really weird. But they sure are beautiful!!

How fresh were they when you left? I’m wondering if those were exposed to temp, light or environmental oddities…?

They’re beautiful btw, such patience laying those little hearts in!

How fresh were they when you left? I’m wondering if those were exposed to temp, light or environmental oddities…?

They’re beautiful btw, such patience laying those little hearts in!
They were super fresh when I left. I left them on my work table instead of putting them on my curing shelves. They’re only about 8’ away from each other. But, they were closer to the door to the yard, so more air and light maybe?
🤷🏻‍♀️ Soap is weird.

Look who shopped while she was away! These were fun packages to come home to! Guess I’ve got to make some bath bombs now!! I bought and read tutorials, and ebooks, watched videos, and tried to learn as much as I could. I had a lot of down time while I was away. I guess now it’s time to do.
Also super excited about my new extruder discs.

Attachments

• D0E6F6B9-520C-49D2-9126-2A54E9B3AA0E.jpeg
    D0E6F6B9-520C-49D2-9126-2A54E9B3AA0E.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 29
They were super fresh when I left. I left them on my work table instead of putting them on my curing shelves. They’re only about 8’ away from each other. But, they were closer to the door to the yard, so more air and light maybe?
🤷🏻‍♀️ Soap is weird.

Look who shopped while she was away! These were fun packages to come home to! Guess I’ve got to make some bath bombs now!! I bought and read tutorials, and ebooks, watched videos, and tried to learn as much as I could. I had a lot of down time while I was away. I guess now it’s time to do.
Also super excited about my new extruder discs.
Grrrrr!!!!! Can you link the press!?!? I’ve been browsing manual presses and yours looks really handy! Not that I need another soap gadget… but whatever! 😋🤓

ps… could the mica have had TD in it?

Boy that purple layer was really upset with the rest of them, cracking and pulling up and away from the rest of the layers like that!

I have no idea why that would happen with only two bars out of a lot. Well, maybe the soap wasn't fully emulsified when you separated for coloring? The top layer does look really chalky except up on the very top surface, which is even more interesting.

Hopefully someone will come along and recognize it for what it is (the cause, I mean.)

Today I made, or attempted to make a Flir de lis looking soap. My hubby asked me to, because he loved how pretty it turned out the first time I made one a couple of years ago.

I wish I could time travel, now.

I talked to my best friend on the phone for a while when I was getting set up and she asked me if I ever named any of my soaps and I told her no, the thought had never really crossed my mind.

All that said, I think I'll name this one "Catastrophe"

I ran into a problem when figuring out the fragrance and didn't have quite enough. So I supplemented a bit with a fragrance I had only used once before to get the scent just right and in the right amount. I knew that this was a bit of a risk and pressed on.

I intended to soap at room temp but started a bit early because my lye water was a bit warm and it's hot here so I had the swamp cooler going.

Long story short, my previously mentioned mistakes and overwhelming desire to get it done resulted in a less than beautiful pour. It didn't rice or anything, but definitely thickened up in a way that is not at all conducive to creating the swirls in my head.

I hope the bottom where I started with an ITP swirl looks nice, because the top sure isn't what I was after.

Today I made, or attempted to make a Flir de lis looking soap. My hubby asked me to, because he loved how pretty it turned out the first time I made one a couple of years ago.

I wish I could time travel, now.

I talked to my best friend on the phone for a while when I was getting set up and she asked me if I ever named any of my soaps and I told her no, the thought had never really crossed my mind.

All that said, I think I'll name this one "Catastrophe"

I ran into a problem when figuring out the fragrance and didn't have quite enough. So I supplemented a bit with a fragrance I had only used once before to get the scent just right and in the right amount. I knew that this was a bit of a risk and pressed on.

I intended to soap at room temp but started a bit early because my lye water was a bit warm and it's hot here so I had the swamp cooler going.

Long story short, my previously mentioned mistakes and overwhelming desire to get it done resulted in a less than beautiful pour. It didn't rice or anything, but definitely thickened up in a way that is not at all conducive to creating the swirls in my head.

I hope the bottom where I started with an ITP swirl looks nice, because the top sure isn't what I was after.
It'll all come out in the wash - so to speak :)

Grrrrr!!!!! Can you link the press!?!? I’ve been browsing manual presses and yours looks really handy! Not that I need another soap gadget… but whatever! 😋🤓

ps… could the mica have had TD in it?
Maybe, I think I’ve used that mica before. I’ll check my notes. Can TD do that?!! Is it only under certain conditions? It’s so weird and dry-ish! I can’t squish it back together at all. Fortunately it’s only 4 out of 21 bars, and only 2 are really bad, but STILL!
Got my bath bomb press and a few molds at Bath Bomb X-Press – Bath Bomb Presses and Molds I think I like them. I wish the cloud mold was deeper. But, the molds are SUPER hard and sturdy material! They’re not like 3D printed ones. I haven’t tried the press yet, but someone in the group recommended them.

Boy that purple layer was really upset with the rest of them, cracking and pulling up and away from the rest of the layers like that!

I have no idea why that would happen with only two bars out of a lot. Well, maybe the soap wasn't fully emulsified when you separated for coloring? The top layer does look really chalky except up on the very top surface, which is even more interesting.

Hopefully someone will come along and recognize it for what it is (the cause, I mean.)
I think the side chalkiness is ash, weird it’s not on the top, but that happens. I mixed each layer completely separately, so each was a separate batch of soap basically. Maaaaaaaaybe I got false trace or something like that? Could that look like this?C98BF426-E1F7-4786-B8EA-8127C1829C49.jpeg

Did it go through gel phase/did you CPOP it? If yes, then false trace is only an issue during the design phase (provided that the emulsion was stable – if this were not the case, you'd have separation & lye/oil pockets). If not, false trace still is unlikely to ruin a bar of soap that way. It really looks like a very weird interaction with the colourant(s). Did you have issues with it before? Worth a tiny test batch?

When you say you have mixed each layer “completely separately”, do you mean completely, i. e. separate oils, lye solution, sodium lactate? In the “best” case, it was something simple as a stupid measurement error.

ETA: You mentioned false trace, that reminded me of looking after my false trace PKO soap dough, that's 9 days old now.
pko_soapdough_owl.jpg
I was a bit unsure first, since for soap dough, on the one hand it is said that any soap batter would work, but then, most recipes seem to enjoy some above-average amount of castor oil … only one way to find out! Turns out that 80% PKO + 20% PO (7% SF, 31% lye concentration) makes a lovely soap dough, that I find even easier to work with than oleic/palmitic/ricinoleic standard recipes. And look what has hatched from that eggshell-coloured lump! 🦉🐣🥰

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back