What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Admittedly a tiny bit of a knife aficionado myself, it always bugged me that one cannot sharpen vegetable peelers/graters/mandolines by “conventional” means (whetstone, honing steel). Not until recently, I found out a nail file would just do the trick, and now my tools feel sharper than ever, and it's fun (and dangerous!) again to work with them, even the cheap plastic one that I possibly might have thrown away when losing patience with it.

I haven't been making soap much because I rarely have the apartment to myself. Yesterday I had a chance to make a batch. I planned on doing a drop swirl but my batter thickened up on me, so I did a hanger swirl. I love hanger swirls, they are so forgiving.

I finally broke down and bought a soap cutter. It is a game changer!

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_144625.jpg
    IMG_20210612_144625.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210612_144726.jpg
    IMG_20210612_144726.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 43
Admittedly a tiny bit of a knife aficionado myself, it always bugged me that one cannot sharpen vegetable peelers/graters/mandolines by “conventional” means (whetstone, honing steel). Not until recently, I found out a nail file would just do the trick, and now my tools feel sharper than ever, and it's fun (and dangerous!) again to work with them, even the cheap plastic one that I possibly might have thrown away when losing patience with it.
Those can be used to sharpen fingernail clippers even!

Sounds scary 🤣 But what I've heard from a friend who had made that famous hike across the South Island, they are really cute and clever, but at times also annoying when they attack your provisions over night.
I think that might be a kea -

Soapy thing - nothing! I'm on holiday in the South Island. But I'm starting to get withdrawals, so I think there could be some soap on the horizon when i get back.

Those can be used to sharpen fingernail clippers even!
I had no Ideas i could sharpen knives w/ a nail file' the ones that are cardboard?

I haven't been making soap much because I rarely have the apartment to myself. Yesterday I had a chance to make a batch. I planned on doing a drop swirl but my batter thickened up on me, so I did a hanger swirl. I love hanger swirls, they are so forgiving.

oh those are beautiful.

I received my order from WSP moments ago' the 8 pounds of ( no stir ) Palm Oil leaked all over my other items & through the cardboard box, thats not all my EO & ROE wasn't shipped. Such a pisser 😡.

Update::: Yay Great News' WSP sent me an email today apologizing for my last order mix up' & my items are shipping out asap. They are replacing my PO & shiping my ROE that was left off order. I'm a happy customer.
💫👍🏼🙌🏼❤.

Ditto, I haven't bought much, but when I have it was in a tub with a seal and then the whole tub was sealed again with a layer of plastic wrap.

@Peachy Clean Soap I hope they are suitably apologetic and you get sorted out!

For me, soapy things have been thin on the ground lately, since I've been busy with Hatching a new batch

But my new 3d printer arrived! So yesterday I got to try out a test stamp for the first time - I'm pretty pleased with the outcome:
View attachment 58414

The soap was probably a bit old to stamp perfectly, and some of the details need tweaking, but as a first attempt, I'm thrilled 😁
I love your stamp' I think it looks great. Wow 🙌🏼

Soapy thing - nothing! I'm on holiday in the South Island. But I'm starting to get withdrawals, so I think there could be some soap on the horizon when i get back.

This Parrot is so cute' there beaks are strong enough to just about take off a finger.
Watching your video remined me of an Amazon parrot I once had.
She talk & Sing, she sung "somewhere over the rainbow" perfectly out of tune' cause I cant sing' lol, and she know a few other songs. she was sunch a smart bird.

Love that soap Marnie - can you tell me how you did that swirl?

Love that soap Marnie - can you tell me how you did that swirl?
Failed drop swirl, then I grabbed a thick gear tie went down the middle, over to the back side of the mold, up and over to the front side of the mold, then back in again. I'm kinda imagining doing a letter e shape on its side with the hanger tool. I hope that makes sense 😁

Failed drop swirl, then I grabbed a thick gear tie went down the middle, over to the back side of the mold, up and over to the front side of the mold, then back in again. I'm kinda imagining doing a letter e shape on its side with the hanger tool. I hope that makes sense 😁
Oh - yes I've had both a failed drop swirl and a failed tall and skinny shimmy that both came up great with a hanger swirl salvage :)

Thanks! I love it when a failed design plan works out anyway.
C'mon. You are the only one who can tell at all if it is “failed”. Unless your recipe caused trouble, or you did a terrible job to execute/replicate something, nobody needs to know.
That said, of course it shouldn't be a goal of a design plan to be intended to fail 😆.

I am at last working on my first phase of my soap. My thumb was hurting so much yesterday, I felt a need to rest it as mush as possible. I did do some of my exercises, but only the ones that are supposed to loosen up the structural mechanisms, not the strengthening ones which end up causing so much pain the next day.

Those are beautiful!! The one on the very top right looks like it belongs in a coffee shop or cute little cafe. It looks like cups of coffee and tea to me. The colors are sooo pretty!

Good eye. I didn't even see that until I made the picture larger. So amazing.

Reminds of my Kitty Baby. She chews on my zorries. I've long said she must be part dog because of some of her behaviors. The other day she carried one of my zorries out of one room, down the hall and into the kitchen. I was really quite surprised, as usually she just chew where they lay rather than carrying them around much. I wonder if it's the taste she likes or the texture. Anyway those birds seemed to enjoy the rubber weatherstripping, the same as Kitty Baby does with my shoes and bubble wrap.

Might well be the case too. I'd have to ask him. He brought back a lot of fun stories, and a ton of envy-arousing photos. Some of them were definitely about Kiwis.

I had no Ideas i could sharpen knives w/ a nail file' the ones that are cardboard?
I wouldn't use nail files on proper knives (with free-standing blade), when whetstones are so suited/fun/meditative to work with. For the “hidden” safety blades, I used a stiff metal nail file, to exert steady pressure at a constant angle.

Grrr.... I have to go get ready for work! But I got my router today! I tried a soap made the beginning of May and my challenge soap from 3? Challenges ago... definitely better with cured soap and follow the directions and the arrow for the direction of the soap to go. Lol! I couldn’t wait!
View attachment 58101View attachment 58102
It is really hard to get a good picture of soap edges!

That is so cool... much more reasonable than the one I saw earlier and it looks like it does a great job!

Back