What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

VikingChick

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So glad you're feeling better. I'm a bit nervous about getting my second dose. I got the Moderna and I had an immense headache for 2 days (I don't normally get headaches), and my arm was practically immovable (immobile?) for the day after. I think I will just take the day following my second dose to be on the safe side - and if it happens that I'm fine, then I will make soap or something!
Thank you! AFTER I got back to work today, my physician-assistant-to-be coworker suggested that I should’ve premeded (Tylenol or Advil) before symptoms set in....didn’t think of that. I’m not qualified to give out medical advice, but I wish I’d done that.

You’ll be ok...it was a rough day for me yesterday, but today I felt great and now I’m vaccinated! You can get through it....like you mentioned, just don’t make any plans for the next day and take care of you!

VikingChick

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a hobby version which only holds a very small amount so I couldn't test very well, but the results didn't put me off this theory.
I validated one of these bad boys once upon a time. The thought of using it in soap makes this lab geek go 😍😍😍😍

Attachments

Mobjack Bay

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I read through that whole thread, all the speculations were very interesting! For what it's worth, my theory is that it is indeed 'all in the pour' as I believe she stated, but that she used a device like this to pour all of the blobs at the same time so that they didn't have the opportunity to become circular:
I have a hobby version which only holds a very small amount so I couldn't test very well, but the results didn't put me off this theory.
I still can't explain the pattern on the sides but I'm curious as to whether that can be achieved by offsetting the device diagonally for alternating pours 🤔
Do you pipette for a hobby? 😎

msunnerstood

Data Geek
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a bunch of bath bomb molds, one of which is a doggy butt. Cant remember who posted the duck butt but it inspired me to buy a silly bath bomb mold.
I have some exciting personal news. I got a job! It’s not along my career track but I e of my good friends own a wine bar and their chef needs help in the kitchen. I’m enormously flattered to be asked to help in the kitchen. I’m a pretty accomplished cook and am actually REALLY excited. I’ve been unemployed for over a year and have been in an awful mental funk.

As a bonus, my daughter works there and she’s the one who told them to ask me. So not only do I get to work with amazing friends but also my daughter. And being a bit more active and away from my own pantry/fridge will help me work off my COVID flub. 🤣😂
That was me and I cant wait to see your dog butt!! 🤣

That was me yesterday, 2nd Moderna vaccine and 2nd time reacting... 😫 UGH... But I did use the down time to get my line of scrubs listed on my website 😀 I feel amazing today and hope you feel better tomorrow!😘
J&J hit me much harder than expected. 4 days of nausea and headache and 7 days of heavy fatigue. Hence why I havent been here much. Better now though

Zing

Reaction score
Okay, to keep this thread somewhat on topic, I washed my hands with soap, like a million times today.

Every single person I know that has gotten 2 doses of COVID-19 vaccine -- except for me because I must be exceptional -- has had a bad reaction the next day lasting 24 hours. In addition to taking ibuprofen or tylenol before your shot, ask to get the shot in your dominant arm. Movement helps to heal faster and your dominant arm is more active.
I could've kissed the nurses that gave me shots. After always being in public and dreading becoming an unknown spreader to my family, I felt concrete weights lifting off my shoulders.
Stay safe, soapy friends!

giulia

Reaction score
Had a rough week and a very lousy day so I decided to make soap. I made 2 small batches. First batch went well -looks and smells good. Second batch did not go so well. I had my first experience with ricing. I used a FO that had mixed reviews and I knew there was a chance of this happening. I got my batter to emulsion separated some out to a second container (wanted to do a swirl), stirred in my mica and added the FO at the last second. The moment I started to stir in the FO it started to rice. I tried to stick blend my main color but couldn’t get it smooth. I threw in the other color and poured quickly. Not my prettiest soap but I hope it is useable because it smells good.

msunnerstood

Data Geek
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, to keep this thread somewhat on topic, I washed my hands with soap, like a million times today.

Every single person I know that has gotten 2 doses of COVID-19 vaccine -- except for me because I must be exceptional -- has had a bad reaction the next day lasting 24 hours. In addition to taking ibuprofen or tylenol before your shot, ask to get the shot in your dominant arm. Movement helps to heal faster and your dominant arm is more active.
I could've kissed the nurses that gave me shots. After always being in public and dreading becoming an unknown spreader to my family, I felt concrete weights lifting off my shoulders.
I cried. My husband is a heart transplant recipient. Life has been paranoia and fear since this started. We should have bought stock in masks and Lysol since we had plenty of soap (see what I did there?). It was a step forward to being able to breathe again.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you pipette for a hobby? 😎
I sometimes dabble in molecular gastronomy... This vaccu pette is used for making lots of drops of something at once rather than a single one at a time ;)

On a separate note, would it be terrible of me to ask to move the vaccine chat to the Coronavirus thread? I'm very happy for you guys, but soaping is my safe space these days and having covid talk in the middle of it makes the coping harder.

Last edited:

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
No soaping, but hoping my cast comes off on Tuesday. I think it does. I won't be able to make soap right wasy, but I will be able to start therapy of the thumb & finger soon, which should get me on the road to recovery and in the right direction.

As a nurse, let me share a few tips for future vaccinations recipients:

4 items for up-front (prior to/at time of)
  • Don't tense up. Rigid muscle during injection -> more pain. Take a few deep breaths ahead of time, meditate, whatever helps you relax, soft music, listen to/watch a comedian - aside from getting sloshed 😏
  • Bring an ice pack with you, and place it on your arm (deltoid area) for a few minutes prior to your turn for injection.
  • Avoid taking prophylactic acetaminophen, aspirin or other NSAIDs, although they can prevent/diminish some uncomfortable effects of vaccination, per recent studies on effects of NSAIDs on antibody production, may be counter-productive (link) If in doubt, contact your personal physician.
  • ASK the person who administers the vaccination if massaging the site of injection is advisable (sometimes, yes, sometime, no.)

Immediately afterward & for the next day or so:
  • Move your arm around after injection (immobility of that arm can lead to more pain.)
  • Avoid NSAIDs as indicated above until medical advice changes (contact your physician for advice as needed)
  • Warm pack at injection site periodically can help reduce pain.

Call your doctor if:
  • High fever,
  • Signs of allergic reaction: difficulty breathing, rapid heart rate, hives or rash, dizziness, sudden weakness, pallor.

So glad you're feeling better. I'm a bit nervous about getting my second dose. I got the Moderna and I had an immense headache for 2 days (I don't normally get headaches), and my arm was practically immovable (immobile?) for the day after. I think I will just take the day following my second dose to be on the safe side - and if it happens that I'm fine, then I will make soap or something!
Thank you! AFTER I got back to work today, my physician-assistant-to-be coworker suggested that I should’ve premeded (Tylenol or Advil) before symptoms set in....didn’t think of that. I’m not qualified to give out medical advice, but I wish I’d done that.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun!
It's great fun, but if you're hungry it's not what you need ;)
We had a party a while back where the guests helped out with the cooking; this was the menu:
WP_20151231_17_57_53_Raw.jpg
We had a lot of fun but we ended up also making quite a quantity of fondue to keep us going 😆

I guess my fascination with chemistry-adjacent things and my fondness for things-that-look-like-other-things carried me through into soaping also!

Babyshoes

Reaction score
I found energy to make soap today, fairly simple, no scent and just one colour inside - black. I couldn't resist sprinkling a little gold mica on top after doing a little spoon texture though!
It's a test of the recipe I've created with my combination facial skin in mind - very low cleansing for the dry areas, activated charcoal for the oily areas. That's the theory, anyway...

Recipe was 60% lard, 30% olive oil and 10% Shea... It took forever to trace! In oven to CPOP now, fingers crossed it'll be ready to cut in the morning! I'm going into hospital late morning for a gastroscopy, so if it's not ready by morning it's going to be late in the day or possibly the next day before I get to it. I'm sure it'll be fine!

Mobjack Bay

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It's great fun, but if you're hungry it's not what you need ;)
We had a party a while back where the guests helped out with the cooking; this was the menu:
View attachment 56154
We had a lot of fun but we ended up also making quite a quantity of fondue to keep us going 😆

I guess my fascination with chemistry-adjacent things and my fondness for things-that-look-like-other-things carried me through into soaping also!
I want an invite to the next party!

Fenchurch

Reaction score
I tried to unmold my latest soaps (from last week)... They are still mostly too soft, and I can't figure out exactly why. I started a thread with the recipe if you want to have a look... too soft soap.

Happy bubbles!
Stéphanie

Latest posts