What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
bratoel.jpg
Restocked HO sunflower oil from a grocery store a few days ago. Today I had a glimpse on the receipt, with a funny Freudian misread: Actually the oil is called “Bratöl” (German for “frying oil”), but my subconsciousness decided to read “Bartöl” (“beard oil”) instead. You can imagine I was a bit confused for a moment how I came by a family-size bottle of beard styling goo 🤣

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today was a zero soap day, but I did a lot of organising, planning and scheming.

I also re-edited all of my photos from the last photo shoot - @ResolvableOwl I looked at them on a different screen and I was horrified at how dark and washed out everything looked, you were right that they needed some work ;) now I have to go and re-upload them all...

I formulated a cunning plan for the challenge which will be either amazing or a massive waste of time and materials but I'll learn something new, we shall find out which soon enough. I often feel like Calvin: Google Image Result for https://riteshjsr.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/ch860122.gif

And my FO shipment finally arrived! 😄 My nose is confused and my wallet is sad, but my creative juices are unblocked and running wild, to butcher a metaphor...

Johnez

Reaction score
Picked up more of the "basic trinity" oils, including a giant jug of "regular" olive oil at Wally World. Deciding between tweaking the trinity with a special superfat (shea, cocoa, mango butter) or go try the famous ZNSC recipe. Funny how buying lard at Walmart is cheaper by ounce with the one lb carton vs 4 lb pail.

Also patiently waiting for WSP to stock KOH again so I can order everything else I want (EOs, butters and glass bottles).

violets2217

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had so much fun trying out my pull through’s. It was soooo cool! My first batch got way to thick... not sure if it was the FO or the corn silk powder I added to the lye. Second try my pretty smooth and almost perfect, just need to work on my pour accuracy. And third attempt was a heavy trace but still pourable. It was the kid’s favorite. Pictured 1-3 left to right.
F22A53F1-BBEF-46E2-A8FF-CDB516CA95E9.jpeg
I will definitely order from Wild Platanica again! When I was picking out plates for my batches I actually counted and realized she sent me 4 extras. Such a pleasant surprise!

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got done soaping with Ylang Ylang and Honey from NS. It was dreamy at first...I had a few minutes (I thought) to stop and do a little clean up. Suddenly it started to thicken, it wasn't terrible. I guess it just sitting for a minute instead of stirring did it, I dunno. I can deal with it getting too thick too quick than ricing lol. But I had to move FAST at the last moment, which I hate, but again, not as bad as ricing...

Anyway, did a hanger swirl. I completely suck at hanger swirls. Does anybody know of a good tutorial for doing them? Every YT that I watch gets to the hanger...then they go through it super fast lol.

The Ylang Ylang and Honey smells great, but to me it smells like rose geranium. I still have the FO on my hands and keep going back and forth between my hands and the rose geranium EO. It smells just like the EO. Maybe it will change with the cure. Definitely no Ylang Ylang in there, at least not OOB. Either way, I like the smell.

My friend called me for Mother's day soaps. She said to pick them myself and send her four. I didn't make anything remotely resembling a mother's day soap...and her mom is like 90. I might just send her a picture of a lineup of soaps and let her pick.

edit: and I poured part one of three parts for the soap challenge club polka dot soap. I'm only giving this one shot so keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
I had so much fun trying out my pull through’s. It was soooo cool!
Honestly, I like the first ones most! Numbers two an three are telling “Cool, you jumped on the pull-through train, and you're fine-tuning your technique”. But the first gave me a “Whoa! How did you do this pattern?” moment.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had so much fun trying out my pull through’s. It was soooo cool! My first batch got way to thick... not sure if it was the FO or the corn silk powder I added to the lye. Second try my pretty smooth and almost perfect, just need to work on my pour accuracy. And third attempt was a heavy trace but still pourable. It was the kid’s favorite. Pictured 1-3 left to right.
View attachment 56315
I will definitely order from Wild Platanica again! When I was picking out plates for my batches I actually counted and realized she sent me 4 extras. Such a pleasant surprise!
Gorgeous! I recognize those patterns!

@Catscankim i use ylang ylang when I want to accelerate.

Zing

Reaction score
Anyway, did a hanger swirl. I completely suck at hanger swirls. Does anybody know of a good tutorial for doing them? Every YT that I watch gets to the hanger...then they go through it super fast lol.
Right?! And no option for slow motion replay! What I like best is a drawing with arrows and/or a detailed narrative.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Right?! And no option for slow motion replay! What I like best is a drawing with arrows and/or a detailed narrative.
On many (not all, but lots of them) Youtube videos do have speed choices to slow down and to go faster. I use this feature frequently. Go to the gear icon, choose playback speed & then pick one.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it & what it looks like:

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. May. Be A. Game. Changer.
Right???? Thank you @earlene ❤❤❤

@Catscankim i use ylang ylang when I want to accelerate.
My fault for turning my back on it for a few minutes...but it was behaving so nicely, I actually considered popping the sb back in to the pots. But I hate doing that. Once I take the sb out, I don't want to put it back in unless completely necessary because I don't want to risk bubbles lol. So I figured I would let them come up to a thicker trace on their own. Mistake, but like I said, it didn't thicken to "emergency" mode, just "oh crap I gotta get this done now!" mode.

Here's the cut. Looks christmasy. Not my intention. I originally had a nice lavender color in mind, but then as I was going through my micas I saw Spicy Tomato and was like oooooOOOOOH. Love that color. So I changed my mind. Should have either went with my first plan, or just did the Spicy Tomato all by itself. The hanger swirl is pretty weak. I just don't get it lol. I think I should just not do them anymore. I always hate them when I do it. The green is gonna get more of a bright green with the cure. It is Andy the Money. It starts out looking like baby poo, but then gets green, which for me is hard when pouring because it looks so ugly and i can't figure out where it is going to look good, but I like the outcome of the final green.

ylang ylang honey.jpg

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hanger swirl is pretty weak. I just don't get it lol. I think I should just not do them anymore. I always hate them when I do it. The green is gonna get more of a bright green with the cure. It is Andy the Money. It starts out looking like baby poo, but then gets green, which for me is hard when pouring because it looks so ugly and i can't figure out where it is going to look good, but I like the outcome of the final green.
I have to agree with @Zing. I think the swirl looks very nice indeed. For what were you hoping, or what didn't you achieve?

violets2217

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On many (not all, but lots of them) Youtube videos do have speed choices to slow down and to go faster. I use this feature frequently. Go to the gear icon, choose playback speed & then pick one.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it & what it looks like:

Hahaa! I showed the kids how to do this to speed up their videos when they were doing online schooling! Never really thought about the benefits of slowing down until now!

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hahaa! I showed the kids how to do this to speed up their videos when they were doing online schooling! Never really thought about the benefits of slowing down until now!
I use slowing down when the closed captioning goes so quickly that I can't read it and I want to know what the words are (whether they are spoken or not - I can't always understand the person's voice.) I speed up for instructional videos that don't edit out the excessive set up or meandering stuff (like stick blending or time in the microwave); that sort of thing.

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
I regularly listen to audio books and the narrator of one book spoke soooooooo ssssslllllloooooowwwwwwwlllllllyyyyy that I found it difficult to focus. My hubby told me that I could change the speed and it changed how I listen to audio books entirely.

I made my final April Challenge soaps. They've gotten less "lollipop" with each iteration. My second attempt is still the better of the lot. I'm so over this design.

I made shampoo bars a few weeks ago and my testes have given positive feedback. I'm on my third washing using the bar and I'm really pleased with the results.

Zing

Reaction score
I regularly listen to audio books and the narrator of one book spoke soooooooo ssssslllllloooooowwwwwwwlllllllyyyyy that I found it difficult to focus. My hubby told me that I could change the speed and it changed how I listen to audio books entirely.

I made shampoo bars a few weeks ago and my testes have given positive feedback. I'm on my third washing using the bar and I'm really pleased with the results.
Um...I thought shampoo bars were for your head?

Sorry, the 12 year old boy in me could not resist.:rolleyes: