What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Color testing again - orange peel, turmeric, alkanet, hydrated chrome oxide, ultramarine, astaxanthin, and lutein, in various combinations.
1A239B11-BE3A-491A-8F25-055632A2BDDD.jpeg2507AAAD-5716-47B1-92EB-3C5E9F57E492.jpeg3015A5D2-20C0-42C7-B1B5-4421269395A3.jpeg

Had a rough week and a very lousy day so I decided to make soap. I made 2 small batches. First batch went well -looks and smells good. Second batch did not go so well. I had my first experience with ricing. I used a FO that had mixed reviews and I knew there was a chance of this happening. I got my batter to emulsion separated some out to a second container (wanted to do a swirl), stirred in my mica and added the FO at the last second. The moment I started to stir in the FO it started to rice. I tried to stick blend my main color but couldn’t get it smooth. I threw in the other color and poured quickly. Not my prettiest soap but I hope it is useable because it smells good.

Okay, to keep this thread somewhat on topic, I washed my hands with soap, like a million times today.

Every single person I know that has gotten 2 doses of COVID-19 vaccine -- except for me because I must be exceptional -- has had a bad reaction the next day lasting 24 hours. In addition to taking ibuprofen or tylenol before your shot, ask to get the shot in your dominant arm. Movement helps to heal faster and your dominant arm is more active.
I could've kissed the nurses that gave me shots. After always being in public and dreading becoming an unknown spreader to my family, I felt concrete weights lifting off my shoulders.
Stay safe, soapy friends!
I cried. My husband is a heart transplant recipient. Life has been paranoia and fear since this started. We should have bought stock in masks and Lysol since we had plenty of soap (see what I did there?). It was a step forward to being able to breathe again.

Do you pipette for a hobby? 😎
I sometimes dabble in molecular gastronomy... This vaccu pette is used for making lots of drops of something at once rather than a single one at a time ;)

On a separate note, would it be terrible of me to ask to move the vaccine chat to the Coronavirus thread? I'm very happy for you guys, but soaping is my safe space these days and having covid talk in the middle of it makes the coping harder.

Last edited:
No soaping, but hoping my cast comes off on Tuesday. I think it does. I won't be able to make soap right wasy, but I will be able to start therapy of the thumb & finger soon, which should get me on the road to recovery and in the right direction.

As a nurse, let me share a few tips for future vaccinations recipients:

4 items for up-front (prior to/at time of)
  • Don't tense up. Rigid muscle during injection -> more pain. Take a few deep breaths ahead of time, meditate, whatever helps you relax, soft music, listen to/watch a comedian - aside from getting sloshed 😏
  • Bring an ice pack with you, and place it on your arm (deltoid area) for a few minutes prior to your turn for injection.
  • Avoid taking prophylactic acetaminophen, aspirin or other NSAIDs, although they can prevent/diminish some uncomfortable effects of vaccination, per recent studies on effects of NSAIDs on antibody production, may be counter-productive (link) If in doubt, contact your personal physician.
  • ASK the person who administers the vaccination if massaging the site of injection is advisable (sometimes, yes, sometime, no.)

Immediately afterward & for the next day or so:
  • Move your arm around after injection (immobility of that arm can lead to more pain.)
  • Avoid NSAIDs as indicated above until medical advice changes (contact your physician for advice as needed)
  • Warm pack at injection site periodically can help reduce pain.

Call your doctor if:
  • High fever,
  • Signs of allergic reaction: difficulty breathing, rapid heart rate, hives or rash, dizziness, sudden weakness, pallor.

So glad you're feeling better. I'm a bit nervous about getting my second dose. I got the Moderna and I had an immense headache for 2 days (I don't normally get headaches), and my arm was practically immovable (immobile?) for the day after. I think I will just take the day following my second dose to be on the safe side - and if it happens that I'm fine, then I will make soap or something!
Thank you! AFTER I got back to work today, my physician-assistant-to-be coworker suggested that I should’ve premeded (Tylenol or Advil) before symptoms set in....didn’t think of that. I’m not qualified to give out medical advice, but I wish I’d done that.
Every single person I know that has gotten 2 doses of COVID-19 vaccine -- except for me because I must be exceptional -- has had a bad reaction the next day lasting 24 hours. In addition to taking ibuprofen or tylenol before your shot, ask to get the shot in your dominant arm. Movement helps to heal faster and your dominant arm is more active.
I could've kissed the nurses that gave me shots. After always being in public and dreading becoming an unknown spreader to my family, I felt concrete weights lifting off my shoulders.
Stay safe, soapy friends!

Sounds like fun!
It's great fun, but if you're hungry it's not what you need ;)
We had a party a while back where the guests helped out with the cooking; this was the menu:
WP_20151231_17_57_53_Raw.jpg
We had a lot of fun but we ended up also making quite a quantity of fondue to keep us going 😆

I guess my fascination with chemistry-adjacent things and my fondness for things-that-look-like-other-things carried me through into soaping also!

I found energy to make soap today, fairly simple, no scent and just one colour inside - black. I couldn't resist sprinkling a little gold mica on top after doing a little spoon texture though!
It's a test of the recipe I've created with my combination facial skin in mind - very low cleansing for the dry areas, activated charcoal for the oily areas. That's the theory, anyway...

Recipe was 60% lard, 30% olive oil and 10% Shea... It took forever to trace! In oven to CPOP now, fingers crossed it'll be ready to cut in the morning! I'm going into hospital late morning for a gastroscopy, so if it's not ready by morning it's going to be late in the day or possibly the next day before I get to it. I'm sure it'll be fine!

It's great fun, but if you're hungry it's not what you need ;)
We had a party a while back where the guests helped out with the cooking; this was the menu:
View attachment 56154
We had a lot of fun but we ended up also making quite a quantity of fondue to keep us going 😆

I guess my fascination with chemistry-adjacent things and my fondness for things-that-look-like-other-things carried me through into soaping also!
I want an invite to the next party!

I tried to unmold my latest soaps (from last week)... They are still mostly too soft, and I can't figure out exactly why. I started a thread with the recipe if you want to have a look... too soft soap.

Happy bubbles!
Stéphanie

That fire-extinguisher red top left in the right mould really impresses me. Is this pure astaxanthin?

(ping @Nanna in reply to this post)
@Nanna Yes - natural reds are so hard to come by - this is an astaxanthin supplement that has rosemary leaf extract and olive oil. I am trying to source some astaxanthin powder, but it’s so expensive! I’ve been trying to negotiate with vendors on Alibaba but I don’t think they have much interest in a grandmother fooling around with soap.
who is not ever going to buy a pallet of the stuff.
I did have some luck getting a much darker red than I expected from turkey rhubarb root. Photo below shows rhubarb root infused OO on left from February, astaxanthin / iron oxide in the middle, and that nice fire engine red from astaxanthin after 24 hours. (Still saponifying but as you see it’s more orangey.) The rhubarb root appears more maroon in the photo than IRL.
EE6977A2-8FA4-4172-AF7C-25E621CC2151.jpeg9CE90FB4-3A38-4C59-BD1F-2374E76B88AE.jpegDC47A688-48BF-4294-9869-FF274AB83699.jpeg

Sorry, couldn't contain this:
https://xkcd.com/720/
And: for the next party, count me in as well!
Don't forget the classic: AI Weirdness — Try these neural network-generated recipes at your...

And I promise that when I can hold molecular dinner parties again I will invite anyone who's interested, although you'll all have to pay for your own plane tickets 😆

In soapy news today, I challenged my received belief that tallow can't be used for transparent soap, with positive results:
IMG_20210417_204927.jpg

I also tried a one pot wonder for the first time, which... yeah...
IMG_20210417_204140.jpg
🤣🤣🤣

In soapy news today, I challenged my received belief that tallow can't be used for transparent soap, with positive results:
Who put you that idea in your head that meat juice couldn't produce clear soap? How did you make it transparent? Is this fully remeltable M&P base (glycerol, propylene glycol, sorbitol and friends), or mostly ethanol?

ETA: @VikingChick was faster than me😓

How did you do that?!?
Who put you that idea in your head that meat juice couldn't produce clear soap? How did you make it transparent? Is this fully remeltable M&P base (glycerol, propylene glycol, sorbitol and friends), or mostly ethanol?

ETA: @VikingChick was faster than me😓
I can't remember where I came across the idea originally but so far I've been rationing my small supply of palm to make transparent soap for specific projects.

This is made by getting the soap to mashed potatoes stage in HP, then dissolving with ethanol, glycerine, and simple syrup. It wasn't created for the purpose of being M&P specifically, but it seems to work as such.

The recipe originated from a frenzied couple of days research session and I don't think I have notes on sources unfortunately...

That's mostly the stuff of which M&P is made. Sugar can discolour the melt, when in doubt swap it for sorbitol (or more glycerol). And the ethanol can become troublesome on the long run when it slowly evaporates and makes remelting more difficult. IME proplyene glycol is really worth its money to make high-clarity, firm M&P base with a sharp melting point, good fluidity and a low skin formation.

But anyway, it's a nice clear brick! A few percent superfat would have ruined it. Is it 100% tallow, or did you add lauric oil too?

That's mostly the stuff of which M&P is made. Sugar can discolour the melt, when in doubt swap it for sorbitol (or more glycerol). And the ethanol can become troublesome on the long run when it slowly evaporates and makes remelting more difficult. IME proplyene glycol is really worth its money to make high-clarity, firm M&P base with a sharp melting point, good fluidity and a low skin formation.

But anyway, it's a nice clear brick! A few percent superfat would have ruined it. Is it 100% tallow, or did you add lauric oil too?
It's part tallow and part coconut, with some castor as well.

This one is formulated purely for looks, I'm afraid! I actually do have M&P related plans for this particular batch, and it should be good enough for those purposes. I looked into getting the ingredients you mention, but the best prices I could get were still extortionate, and I don't make it often enough to justify it.

Time will tell as to whether I decide to take that route in future :)

Back