What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still haven’t cut yesterday’s change-of-plans soap and I’m eyeballs deep in a new soap! THIS is exactly why I got another mold. If I’m making new soap then maaaaybe I won’t unmold too soon and smooshy the corners!
Usually I take good notes. But today I can’t be bothered, so took a pic instead. So many colors!!
Also, I’ve been meaning to try making a scraper with my bad-ass wood burner. It seems to have worked!

Attachments

• BDD037CA-553E-49B3-989D-88462E763B53.jpeg
    BDD037CA-553E-49B3-989D-88462E763B53.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 75DA3FFD-C4A9-4D86-9EA8-6AC503B14244.jpeg
    75DA3FFD-C4A9-4D86-9EA8-6AC503B14244.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DFA0FE92-49A9-4044-9A90-5C5EA0B30018.jpeg
    DFA0FE92-49A9-4044-9A90-5C5EA0B30018.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 11
  • DA44712D-FE71-4101-AFE6-A375AB3340A2.jpeg
    DA44712D-FE71-4101-AFE6-A375AB3340A2.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 10
  • F0B3B50C-C96E-4E85-98C7-72F6E2E643AA.jpeg
    F0B3B50C-C96E-4E85-98C7-72F6E2E643AA.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 9
  • B1D28372-5244-4816-9785-3229109C2CD4.jpeg
    B1D28372-5244-4816-9785-3229109C2CD4.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 13
  • E768A2CC-E782-45C2-B095-796F16B5C2BE.jpeg
    E768A2CC-E782-45C2-B095-796F16B5C2BE.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 17
I still haven’t cut yesterday’s change-of-plans soap and I’m eyeballs deep in a new soap! THIS is exactly why I got another mold. If I’m making new soap then maaaaybe I won’t unmold too soon and smooshy the corners!
Usually I take good notes. But today I can’t be bothered, so took a pic instead. So many colors!!
Also, I’ve been meaning to try making a scraper with my bad-ass wood burner. It seems to have worked!
So Awesome' Very Impressive Sky-high Scrapper! Excited to see finished soap. 🧼💫.

Last edited:
I just got done making a batch of shampoo bars for a friend and fellow volunteer whose search K9 passed away the other day. Jester was her first and had searched by her side for 8 years. She loves my shampoo bars so I made her favorite scent and i'll ship them down to her once they've sat for a few days and are solid.

I just got done making a batch of shampoo bars for a friend and fellow volunteer whose search K9 passed away the other day. Jester was her first and had searched by her side for 8 years. She loves my shampoo bars so I made her favorite scent and i'll ship them down to her once they've sat for a few days and are solid.
Aww so sad her K9 passed. 😢. So nice your sending her shampoo Bars 🧼🤗

Oh ok thx for your info' 🤗💫

I have used the NG Love Spell and I like it very much and it sticks.

Love, love, love those Nurture molds! The soap slips out of the silicon liner soooo easily!

Love, love, love those Nurture molds! The soap slips out of the silicon liner soooo easily!
The wood for this mold sits half inch higher than the basic, so that messed me up this first round.
What the heck happened to my soap from yesterday?!! The layers didn’t fuse. I put it on the heating pad for about an hour and turned it off. (Last time I left it for 4 hours and it disintegrated my hologram glitter!)
Is there any saving it?!
I've reassembled the pieces and put them back in the mold. Can I bake it? This mold doesn’t fit well in my oven, but I can try. Or I can cook it on the heating pad for another 4 hours. It’s a 7lb’er!!! I have had this happen before.

The wood for this mold sits half inch higher than the basic, so that messed me up this first round.
What the heck happened to my soap from yesterday?!! The layers didn’t fuse. I put it on the heating pad for about an hour and turned it off. (Last time I left it for 4 hours and it disintegrated my hologram glitter!)
Is there any saving it?!
I've reassembled the pieces and put them back in the mold. Can I bake it? This mold doesn’t fit well in my oven, but I can try. Or I can cook it on the heating pad for another 4 hours. It’s a 7lb’er!!! I have had this happen before.

Look up soap welding. There is a way to warm it in the oven to help it fuse together. I haven’t done it personally but others here have. There was a challenge a while back. Search for that. There are instructions there too.

Look up soap welding. There is a way to warm it in the oven to help it fuse together. I haven’t done it personally but others here have. There was a challenge a while back. Search for that. There are instructions there too.
Thanks. I’m so bummed.

Omg that’s so much work to do for each bar! And, some aren’t totally apart. I’d have to pull them apart, score them, smoosh them, find a pan they fit.... ugh!
Any idea how much heat a NS mold can take?

It was a super soapy day here. It was going pretty good until my layer soap fell apart. I was in the middle of making another soap and couldn’t stop to try and weld the pieces together. I can’t find online anywhere how much heat the NS mold can take. I’ll try and figure out what to do with it tomorrow.
I made sure to score and spray the layers of the soap I was making today.
My soap scraper I made worked well, except I didn’t account for the higher wood frame for the premium mold. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ So I could only do one mountain range. Still it was fun!
My embed is kinda crazy! Is there a patron saint of soaping? I could use a soapy prayer for this one!
Also, this new mold I got is warped. It should fit well by the time it’s this full. Don’t you think? This thing was a big spend!

Attachments

• 9BBB1DE5-ED1F-4B10-AE4A-2904FE52DF0D.jpeg
    9BBB1DE5-ED1F-4B10-AE4A-2904FE52DF0D.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 12
  • EBB1D0AE-F20D-4498-A007-589AEA1DE5BA.jpeg
    EBB1D0AE-F20D-4498-A007-589AEA1DE5BA.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 0C2010E9-4851-49E3-B41A-636665D55E27.jpeg
    0C2010E9-4851-49E3-B41A-636665D55E27.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 13
  • E2D2EBFF-C49D-47EE-A173-93C48E30B464.jpeg
    E2D2EBFF-C49D-47EE-A173-93C48E30B464.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 30A827FC-E176-430F-BB88-DE5B73191C09.jpeg
    30A827FC-E176-430F-BB88-DE5B73191C09.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 21
Is there any saving it?!
I don't have a Nurture mold, but they look like they are no different than any of my other wooden and silicone molds I use in my oven for CPOP, so I'd go ahead and put it in the oven without worries.

If it will fit in your oven, all I would suggest is that you place it on a tray of some sort inside the oven and make sure the wood does not touch the metal sides of the oven. Make sure to pre-heat your oven BEFORE you put the soap inside, as ovens tend to heat much higher than the number you set it at while it is pre-heating.

If you are willing to moisten the surfaces with a little water, that will help, but if you don't want to take it all apart again, AND the soap is fairly new (not old & dry), I'd go ahead and bake it at 170° F for at least an hour, but depending on how big your mold is (a huge slab?), then I'd probably bake for 2 or 3 hours, checking surface temps of the soap with my IFR thermometer. Then I'd leave it inside the warm oven (turned off) for several hours.

If it were me, I would take the soap apart, moisten, then wrap in plastic wrap (kitchen plastic used for wrapping food), then put it back in the mold prior to the bake. The plastic wrap survives just fine, so no worries about it starting on fire or melting; it doesn't.

But if that seems like too much work, try it without.

I don't have a Nurture mold, but they look like they are no different than any of my other wooden and silicone molds I use in my oven for CPOP, so I'd go ahead and put it in the oven without worries.

If it will fit in your oven, all I would suggest is that you place it on a tray of some sort inside the oven and make sure the wood does not touch the metal sides of the oven. Make sure to pre-heat your oven BEFORE you put the soap inside, as ovens tend to heat much higher than the number you set it at while it is pre-heating.

If you are willing to moisten the surfaces with a little water, that will help, but if you don't want to take it all apart again, AND the soap is fairly new (not old & dry), I'd go ahead and bake it at 170° F for at least an hour, but depending on how big your mold is (a huge slab?), then I'd probably bake for 2 or 3 hours, checking surface temps of the soap with my IFR thermometer. Then I'd leave it inside the warm oven (turned off) for several hours.

If it were me, I would take the soap apart, moisten, then wrap in plastic wrap (kitchen plastic used for wrapping food), then put it back in the mold prior to the bake. The plastic wrap survives just fine, so no worries about it starting on fire or melting; it doesn't.

But if that seems like too much work, try it without.
That’s very helpful! Thanks so much. I was ready to trash it last night, but I was just tired. I saw the other response on the welding thread also. Thank you!

Omg that’s so much work to do for each bar! And, some aren’t totally apart. I’d have to pull them apart, score them, smoosh them, find a pan they fit.... ugh!
Any idea how much heat a NS mold can take?

I‘ve never CPOP. I only use the heating pads to gel. I’m a peeker. Lol. I’m sure someone can answer that though.

It was a super soapy day here. It was going pretty good until my layer soap fell apart. I was in the middle of making another soap and couldn’t stop to try and weld the pieces together. I can’t find online anywhere how much heat the NS mold can take. I’ll try and figure out what to do with it tomorrow.
I made sure to score and spray the layers of the soap I was making today.
My soap scraper I made worked well, except I didn’t account for the higher wood frame for the premium mold. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ So I could only do one mountain range. Still it was fun!
My embed is kinda crazy! Is there a patron saint of soaping? I could use a soapy prayer for this one!
Also, this new mold I got is warped. It should fit well by the time it’s this full. Don’t you think? This thing was a big spend!

The silicon In my Nurture molds don’t look like that. It fits nice and flush against the sides. I would send them an email. That being said...I don’t have any near that big, so I’m not sure what others experience is with bigger ones and the silicon. Doesn’t seem right though.

I'm still tweaking recipes to find one I like. Today's batch came to a light trace easily, then stayed there while I faffed about with colours and fragrance. It contains 40% lard, which probably helped. I also managed to restrain myself with the stick blender this time! Lol

I used a FO called sea spray, which has only one review (very few here in the UK seem to have a lot of reviews, but a few fragrances from the company have positive soapy reviews, so I took a chance and bought a bunch of samples) and it behaved perfectly.

I did an ITP swirl that I think will be lovely. I used a very light blue for about a third of the batter and left the rest uncoloured. I do hope the FO isn't going to discolour, it's a lovely watery effect to go with the ocean themed FO...

It took a little longer than I planned, but I finished up just in time to set out to get my Covid vaccination. 😊

I just finished making "Egg Soap" complements of @DeeAnna's Instructions on her website & YouTube video I watched yesterday. Mrs. Hen was gracious to have alerted me to her laying two egg's yesterday where I could find them' lol. Decided to only use the Egg White cause I want the soap to remain white before adding two colors' so I mixed up the egg white really well' then I thought if I continue beating this egg white im gonna end up w/ meringue lol, my lye was a bit hot so decided to temper the egg white first w/ a little lye solution' that little amount of egg white turned so gelatinous I quickly poured it in the Lye' SB quickly' it mixed up nicely in the lye then I continued the soaping process. I was kinda between a rock & hard sopt concerning my "Fats" knowing Shea Butter likes to be Hot' but I didn't want cooked egg whites either so had no other choice in mixing lye/ egg in fats & oils @ about 100* still quite warm tried to reach a happy medium. Fingers crossed it turns out, To Be Continued. 🧼🐓🥚💫.

(
edited to make it easier for members to read after a few reports)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back