What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the most reliable, consistent results, egg should always be mixed into the fats, not into the lye. Get the egg diluted first before it gets "cooked" by the lye.

A number of people in the recent past have put the egg directly into the lye, and it hasn't always turned out well.

For the most reliable, consistent results, egg should always be mixed into the fats, not into the lye. Get the egg diluted first before it gets "cooked" by the lye.

A number of people in the recent past have put the egg directly into the lye, and it hasn't always turned out well.
Thx I'll defiantly do this next time Fingers crossed I didn't ruin it. 💫🤗

I'll be watching eagerly for updates! Egg soap is on my list for next week and I'm trying to get up the courage!
Thank you' I'll be posting pictures if it turns out' 🤣💫🧼.

I think you'd know by now if it had gone wrong, so it's probably fine.

I used to make egg custard using a method I now know to not be the best way. It turned out fine ... maybe every other time.

I suspect that's also true for making egg soap -- there are a number of methods people use. I'm sure they make good soap fairly often, but I hear about failures too.

With the "dilute in the fat before adding lye" method the soap seems to turns out fine every time. At least in my experience it does.

I used to make egg custard using a method I now know to not be the best way. It turned out fine ... maybe every other time.

I suspect that's also true for making egg soap -- there are a number of methods people use. I'm sure they make good soap fairly often, but I hear about failures too.

With the "dilute in the fat before adding lye" method the soap seems to turns out fine every time. At least in my experience it does.
Yay good to know. Right before I tempered my egg w/ Lye 🤣🤪 I had a brief moment thinking I probably should add this egg to the oil' then thought no I'll add it to the lye. Soap looks pretty "The Top" that is. I was able to put the colors in trying to mimic your steps on the video' then I had more soap & kept layering, I thought well shucks its not going to look like your design I'll just use the the end of my chef's thermometer its thin to make swirly designs throughout & on top of the soap🤣😃. I put it in the cupboard wrapped it' no heating pad then moments ago covered the top cause it was firm enough @ this point. If I have cooked egg' well I wont give it out, it will be for personal use having said that I did use Sodium Gluconate' somewhat covered if it has particles in it. But the soap did look smooth when pouring into mold. 🤗🧼💫😉

I just got done making a batch of shampoo bars for a friend and fellow volunteer whose search K9 passed away the other day. Jester was her first and had searched by her side for 8 years. She loves my shampoo bars so I made her favorite scent and i'll ship them down to her once they've sat for a few days and are solid.
I’m so sorry about your friends companion. That’s very kind of you to make her favorite product!

Yesterday’s soap bummer is in the oven trying to get saved. My extruder disc broke, then the layers fell apart.
I’ll call NS this week about my warped mold. I waited for 3 months while the premium was on back order, and they’re not cheap! My basic 7.5 isn’t warped and is great! The soap actually came out in weird angles due to the shape of the mold. NS is my favorite supplier, and I’m trusting they’ll make it right.
I was really hoping for a “win” today.
Not exactly what I had in my mind, but I’m happy with the results. It was a good learning experience and sort of what I was going for.
Tomorrow clean soap stuff up and start making lotion bars and balms.

Attachments

• 63A1BD27-9608-40B6-918D-BB74512624C7.jpeg
    63A1BD27-9608-40B6-918D-BB74512624C7.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 57BAEF9F-E796-44DD-8478-05A8B1FE6F2F.jpeg
    57BAEF9F-E796-44DD-8478-05A8B1FE6F2F.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 0739C659-C7AD-4E55-8C29-E9397C4FA8D7.jpeg
    0739C659-C7AD-4E55-8C29-E9397C4FA8D7.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 27
Yesterday’s soap bummer is in the oven trying to get saved. My extruder disc broke, then the layers fell apart.
I’ll call NS this week about my warped mold. I waited for 3 months while the premium was on back order, and they’re not cheap! My basic 7.5 isn’t warped and is great! The soap actually came out in weird angles due to the shape of the mold. NS is my favorite supplier, and I’m trusting they’ll make it right.
I was really hoping for a “win” today.
Not exactly what I had in my mind, but I’m happy with the results. It was a good learning experience and sort of what I was going for.
Tomorrow clean soap stuff up and start making lotion bars and balms.
I love the design!

We did a quick trip to my hometown to visit my elderly dad (YAY! All of us are vaccinated, we actually went inside his apartment, wicky wicky what?). He showed me a newspaper article about a local soaper who just opened her own shop after several years at a farmer's market, which you can read here New soapery, trading company opens in Sioux Falls on Saturday. Take a look inside:

So of course we had to go check this store out! What a story. She raises her own animals for the lard and tallow and grows her own herbs for colorants! Made me think of another certain natural color-er, @Dawni. I'm so psyched that a Native American small business woman had such demand that she had outgrown her farmers market and opened a shop in a pandemic! We restrained ourselves but I wanted one of everything. I did get this one which is her best-seller, "Smoke Signals":

1615774173735.png
I was intrigued by her "packaging." All of her soaps were unwrapped but had a stack of business-card-sized cards nearby with the ingredients.

And then, we're driving home, stopped for gas somewhere out in the middle of Podunk County, Minnesota hardly a living soul around and there was an entire shelf of locally made soaps, chapsticks, and lip balms! Seemingly I cannot turn around without encountering artisans!

Today was the maiden voyage with both potato water AND my new stick blender. I love the SB - so quiet and no bubbles!

Everything was going wonderfully until the FO discolored and accelerated the batter. What was supposed to be a top with swirled spring colors is a bunch of textured, camo-ish plops.

Ah well. Still gonna be nice soap, with a lard-tallow-shea-RBO-GM blend that is a family favorite. Plus, it's in the slab mold, which means that I'll finally get to use my new log splitter when it comes out of the mold tomorrow. Wheeee!

Today was the maiden voyage with both potato water AND my new stick blender. I love the SB - so quiet and no bubbles!

Everything was going wonderfully until the FO discolored and accelerated the batter. What was supposed to be a top with swirled spring colors is a bunch of textured, camo-ish plops.

Ah well. Still gonna be nice soap, with a lard-tallow-shea-RBO-GM blend that is a family favorite. Plus, it's in the slab mold, which means that I'll finally get to use my new log splitter when it comes out of the mold tomorrow. Wheeee!
That sounds like a great formula!

Better than I expected! I thought they were going to be a disaster because my FO caused acceleration. Instead of soaping the next layer cooler, I panicked and soaped warmer. 🤦🏻‍♀️
The orange layer riced a little too. That was the first time I’ve seen ricing. I left it covered on the heating pad for some extra time and it was ready to unmold and cut really fast! Because the green thickened too fast, I had to spackle some holes between the legs, but not too bad.
I used 8th & Ocean by Nurture, but I was soaping at 100. Folks all say it behaves well at much lower.
Also, my hologlitter melted. Must’ve been the ling heat. New premium mold!
Dog Bless You!

Dawn dish soap escapes my floor when I wash a mountain of soap dishes.
How did you make the doggie?
ETA - just seen the owl. So you make a loaf and push it through an extruder of some kind?

Last edited:
How did you make the doggie?
ETA - just seen the owl. So you make a loaf and push it through an extruder of some kind?

Lisa at I Dream In Soap on you tube has a number of videos on this technique. She uses soap dough in an extruder, and sells discs for extruders.

I'm not sure if @TashaBird used the same technique, but I'm sure she'll be along to confirm. 😊

Which SB did you end up getting? Oooooooh....you have to let me know how you like the Bud Splitter. My finger continues to hover...😂

Looking at all those polymer clay tutorials, I remembered I still had an ancient pack of Fimo knocking around, so yesterday I had a stab at making a soap stamp. This is the design (hardened), the idea is I will take an impression of this with the other half of the pack and then when that's baked it will function as a stamp to replicate this in a soap bar.

IMG_20210315_102942.jpg

It's not quite working as hoped yet - the impression is not coming out great on the second piece, so I'm going to take the Dremel to it today and widen the marks to hopefully take better.

While I have it out I'm thinking to also use the Dremel on the Pringles can lid to make a pull-through template, so I'm trying to figure out now what kind of template makes an effective pattern... 🤔

Still a bit soft to unmould! Can't wait to see how the inside comes out, it's an ITP swirl.

It's my first time using this silicone mould, I was getting stressed folding baking paper to use a plastic tub as a mould. I think it'll need to be quite firm to get it out without squishing it.

Not sure about the colour variation that's visible in the photo, the spots are less obvious in person...

IMG_20210315_102152.jpg

@Jersey Girl I purchased the Austria Muller SB. I wanted the one everyone was recommending (Cuisinart maybe?) but it was more expensive, and I was trying to squeeze in the log splitter purchase while staying within the gift card limits. I’m very happy with this SB so far, including the frother attachment that came with it. Very nice for dispersing mica!

@Babyshoes have you tried putting your mold in the freezer for about an hour? Then take it out and let it sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes. The resulting condensation really helps with clean mold release. It’s especially great for detailed cavity molds, but it works all kinds of molds to eliminate bunged corners, etc. Just remember to let it fully defrost before cutting. :D

Last edited:
@Babyshoes have you tried putting your mold in the freezer for about an hour? If you then let it sit in the counter for 5-10 minutes, the resulting condensation really helps with clean mold release. It’s especially great for detailed cavity molds, but it works all kinds of molds to eliminate bunged corners, etc. Just remember to let it fully defrost before cutting. :D

Ooh, thanks for the tip! If it's still soft when I get back from the vet, I'll give that a go. 😊

Yay good to know. Right before I tempered my egg w/ Lye 🤣🤪 I had a brief moment thinking I probably should add this egg to the oil' then thought no I'll add it to the lye. Soap looks pretty "The Top" that is. I was able to put the colors in trying to mimic your steps on the video' then I had more soap & kept layering, I thought well shucks its not going to look like your design I'll just use the the end of my chef's thermometer its thin to make swirly designs throughout & on top of the soap🤣😃. I put it in the cupboard wrapped it' no heating pad then moments ago covered the top cause it was firm enough @ this point. If I have cooked egg' well I wont give it out, it will be for personal use having said that I did use Sodium Gluconate' somewhat covered if it has particles in it. But the soap did look smooth when pouring into mold. 🤗🧼💫😉
@DeeAnna & Friends "EggSoap" Yay it turned out perfect' well it did have some soda ash but i'm not complaining. Thank you DeeAnn for your help here & on your website. The name of my soap
🥚 " You Cr⚡ack Me Up" 🥚
I just finished making "Egg Soap" complements of @DeeAnna's Instructions on her website & YouTube video I watched yesterday. Mrs. Hen was gracious to have alerted me to her laying two egg's yesterday where I could find them' lol. Decided to only use the Egg White cause I want the soap to remain white before adding two colors' so I mixed up the egg white really well' then I thought if I continue beating this egg white im gonna end up w/ meringue lol, my lye was a bit hot so decided to temper the egg white first w/ a little lye solution' that little amount of egg white turned so gelatinous I quickly poured it in the Lye' SB quickly' it mixed up nicely in the lye then I continued the soaping process. I was kinda between a rock & hard sopt concerning my "Fats" knowing Shea Butter likes to be Hot' but I didn't want cooked egg whites either so had no other choice in mixing lye/ egg in fats & oils @ about 100* still quite warm tried to reach a happy medium. Fingers crossed it turns out, To Be Continued. 🧼🐓🥚💫.

Thx I'll defiantly do this next time Fingers crossed I didn't ruin it. 💫🤗

Thank you' I'll be posting pictures if it turns out' 🤣💫🧼.

@DeeAnna & Friends
"Egg Soap" Yay it turned out' except for a little soda ash' but i'm not complaining very happy w/ it. Thx DeeAnna for your help here & Virtual. the name of my soap 🥚" You Cr⚡ack Me Up"🥚 😃🤣

Attachments

• 673C4AFF-4A42-4AFA-BEF8-A3CA1CA3EA98.jpeg
    673C4AFF-4A42-4AFA-BEF8-A3CA1CA3EA98.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 31
First time using enviroglitter in Mystic Gold from Nurture Soap in CP soap. I sprinkled a little in the mold so it would be on the top of the soap. This one is called Moonlit Night in blue and yellow with the glitter as the stars. It's scented with Dragon Moon from NS too.

Attachments

• IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1250.JPG
    IMG_1250.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back