What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prepped 8 batches, two different recipes, that meant 72 times weighing an ingredient to the gram, give or take a gram. Whew!
I find a good assembly line fairly relaxing. But for this I have to extra focus! If I pour into the wrong container, or other mistake, then it’s a big PIA.
Soon I may MB, but for now I’m inching my loaf mold and my pull through recipe closer to each other.
Now for the fun part! I’ve got a que of ideas in my head that I’m excited about!
Hoping my new extruder discs come soon!

Attachments

• 7012027C-8963-4BC1-8081-0A4B8EE266E5.jpeg
    7012027C-8963-4BC1-8081-0A4B8EE266E5.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 18
I just got the last 6 samples I ordered (NY Scents). I was least impressed with Oatmeal Milk & Honey. I fear I may smell playdoh if I soap it. The Irish Spring scent, while not quite a dead ringer OOB, smells very pleasant. I want to try that the most. The other scents are Olive Branch, Avobath, Orange Blossom and Lime Basil Mandarin.

Today I cut yesterday’s soapy thing. I made a batch (for the first time) of a rendition of Zany’s Castile soap. I used Zany’s Faux Sea Water and 80% OO 15% CO, 5% Castor. The only additive was scent mixed with a couple tsp of Kaolin Clay. It came out of the mold and cut beautifully after 15 hours. I gelled it on a heating pad. A sliver lathered amazingly. Can’t wait to see what it’s like after a few weeks! This is also the first time after 203 batches of soap I left it uncolored! I love the simplicity of it. Scented with White Tea Ginger.
049C0B0F-2F1B-40C7-A1E6-C6D664602332.jpeg

Today I cut yesterday’s soapy thing. I made a batch (for the first time) of a rendition of Zany’s Castile soap. I used Zany’s Faux Sea Water and 80% OO 15% CO, 5% Castor. The only additive was scent mixed with a couple tsp of Kaolin Clay. It came out of the mold and cut beautifully after 15 hours. I gelled it on a heating pad. A sliver lathered amazingly. Can’t wait to see what it’s like after a few weeks! This is also the first time after 203 batches of soap I left it uncolored! I love the simplicity of it. Scented with White Tea Ginger.
View attachment 55023
Thats Beautiful Soap' My Goodness. 🤗❤️🧼

View attachment 55023
Great photography also!

Which recipe did you use out of her books. I have her vegan one, wanted the animal one but it was a gift so can't be too picky. Am dying to try making soap dough along with about a million other things!

I used the free recipe on her website. 50% Lard, 30% CO, 20% OO (she lists castor but says you can sub OO). 5% SF, 33% lye concentration
It made a great dough.

Great photography also!

Thank you! I’ve been working on that. It’s not my strength, but it works for my website to keep it simple and consistent. I have a couple really amazing cameras but I just use my iPhone for these as it’s so much easier for me to upload the pics to my site.

A whimsical little interlude, playing with soap dough :)

View attachment 55014

I hesitated a lot over buying a slicer but I'm glad that I did, it's so much easier to get consistent cuts.
Wowieee! How'd you do that with soap dough. The symmetry is beautiful and fascinating me!

Today I cut yesterday’s soapy thing.

Oh the thrill of a pure white bar of soap! Beautiful.

Well, this was great fun to make and I love the (potential of the) result! I don't know how often I'll do it though, took basically all day for just these two and I'm still not finished. I want to use these as the centres for poured soaps to give them a bit more structural integrity.
IMG_20210312_201149.jpg

Check out Polymer Clay Fire Flower Cane Tutorial to see what they're meant to look like!

Well, this was great fun to make and I love the (potential of the) result! I don't know how often I'll do it though, took basically all day for just these two and I'm still not finished. I want to use these as the centres for poured soaps to give them a bit more structural integrity.
Check out Polymer Clay Fire Flower Cane Tutorial to see what they're meant to look like!
Honestly, considering polymer clay, if my memory serves me correctly, is different from even the best soap dough I think you pretty much nailed it!

Honestly, considering polymer clay, if my memory serves me correctly, is different from even the best soap dough I think you pretty much nailed it!
Thanks Kim 🥰

I was actually very happy with how the dough came out in the food processor, it was super smooth and easy to work with!

What made it more difficult was that I hadn't any black made up, so I tried to darken some grey with liquid colouring, and it made it a little softer. So when I had the black and the yellow/green alongside each other, they didn't move quite the way they should, hence the strange sketchy lines!

Also I was doing it before and after work and over lunch and it was cooling down in between so a bit harder to work with when I came back.

How about this for the next one? Square Kaleidoscope Cane Tutorial

😂

A whimsical little interlude, playing with soap dough :)

View attachment 55014

I hesitated a lot over buying a slicer but I'm glad that I did, it's so much easier to get consistent cuts.
I love this one and the next one you posted. You might inspire me to try soap dough!

Nice, plus I love the scent. I’m going to have to try the ZNSC castile with OO and castor. The ones I make with 100% OO are always beautiful, but I would like to have a bit more lather.

I love this one and the next one you posted. You might inspire me to try soap dough!

Nice, plus I love the scent. I’m going to have to try the ZNSC castile with OO and castor. The ones I make with 100% OO are always beautiful, but I would like to have a bit more lather.

Yes, try it! This one lathered beautiful and it wasn’t even 24 hrs old. I’m sure it will be lovely with a few months cure!

Latest posts

Back