what preservative do you use for sugar and salt scrubs?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I made that statement because I wanted to see if Jacki and Amanda would notice. Also, I have a friend from Texas who is...hmm...what's a diplomatic way to say it...oh yeah...completely insane (but in a fun way). :lol:

I will offer this though ... if you are creating and marketing an "organic" product, you may wish to choose another, as your customers may have read some of the info. I did ... for instance, this is what one site stated:
"So when you see phenoxyethanol listed on a bottle of so-called “organic” baby lotion, put it back on the shelf and look for a truly green,
safe and healthy product."

Did this site state why they think phenoxyethanol is truly unsafe and unhealthy? Personally, I would never buy an unpreserved baby lotion and risk a baby developing some form of skin disease from bacteria or fungi.

I read recently about some of the "natural" ingredients used for "natural" products. I had wondered how some companies could sell unpreserved products. Some ingredients are in a base of phenoxyethanol or one consisting of several of the parabens. Because these chemicals are considered part of the processing of the ingredient, they do not have to be listed as an ingredient. These "natural" ingredients are added to the lotion and the preservative base is enough to preserve the lotion.

So the lotion has parabens or another type of preservative, the company doesn't have to list it since the preservative is considered part of the manufacturing process and they can advertise the lotion as a "natural" product. Very sneaky & unethical, IMO.

I completely agree ... really, ingredient labels are supposed to be just that ... at least that's what I always thought!

I'm still learning about some of new, more natural preservatives that are becoming available. So far, my reading about the Leucidal (created, in part, through radish root fermenting process ... a peptide type of antibacterial) has been interesting.

Now, I can see how Inolens could be helpful in scrubs ... from what I've read, it helps keep the oils from going bad as quickly. It's a rosemary derivative.

These folks make scrubs without any preservatives ...
http://www.figandplum.com/archives/000018.html

I am still wondering about citric acid serving, in part, as a preservative in a sense with some scrubs ... via the pH adjustment, but I could be wrong. However, I was reading a study about the Inolens in regard to cooking oils (also used with cooking oils, nuts, as well as omega oils, etc. for cosmetics), and it seemed to have citric acid (as well as tocopherols) as one of the "preservatives" they compared it against. I may be a bit confused about that, but I have read that pH adjustment, in part, can help to serve as a preservative ... still learning, of course!

~ Kathy

I don't put preservatives in my scrubs either - but that's my decision. If you feel safer with a preservative then go for it. I am neutral here.

Thankfully I don't want to go Organic any time soon, so Phenoxyethanol should be fine for me...

Paraben-free preservative

I'm new to this, but what about this preservative for those who want paraben-free products?

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/optiphen.html

Optiphen™
ISP's first globally approved preservative in the Optiphen family developed as an alternative for personal care formulations requiring a paraben and formaldehyde-free preservative system. Optiphen consists of Phenoxyethanol in an emollient base of Caprylyl Glycol. The combination of these ingredients provides optimized protection against microbial growth while imparting exceptional feel to the finished product.

Optiphen can be used in a wide variety of personal care products including aqueous and anhydrous systems and emulsions. It can be added directly to the formulation during pre- or post-emulsification at or below 60°C (140°F). There are no pH restrictions and it is compatible with most raw materials.

Hazel said:
Citric acid really isn't a preservative. It's a pH regulator. It can help deter some bacteria by increasing the acidity of a product. But you really need a preservative that's effective against bacteria, mold and fungus.

I was reading about citric acid and came across this from Mountain Rose Herbs:

Citric acid is a very useful and effective preservative, obtained from naturally occurring organic acids. It exists in many different fruits and vegetables, but is especially concentrated in lemons and limes. Although it is also produced in refineries by using cane sugar, molasses, and dextrose, the citric acid stocked by Mountain Rose Herbs comes from the fermentation of crude fruit sugars. Citric acid is used extensively in the food, beverage, cosmetic, and pharmaceutical industries. It has been recognized as safe by all major national and international food regulatory agencies, and is also approved by the US Food and Drug Administration and in Europe for use in food. Citric acid is used for many different reasons, including (but not limited to):

* Antioxidant and preservative properties
* prevents rancidity and bacteria growth
* Astringency and Acidity
* Used in sourdough bread for an extra tart taste (known as "sour salt" among bakers)
* Adjusts pH
* Stabilizes the ingredients, color, taste, and flavor of a product
* Rapidly biodegradable
* Readily metabolized and eliminated from the body

I see citric acid along with potassium sorbate in so many natural products without any other preservatives like optiphen or phenonip or other non "natural" preservatives. Just makes me wonder about what other things are touted as natural preservatives and the reluctance of believing certain information. Personally, I use Phenonip in my lotions. The amount is so small I don't even worry about the "dangers". There are so many other things that I probably ingest that are more dangerous at a higher concentration.

I’m glad to hear you use Phenonip.

I have seen this on MRH. I have purchased from them but I do not agree with some of the content on their website. Too many people read what they want to into the content and not what is actually meant. Admittedly, some of the content is ambiguous.

SideDoorSoaps said:
Hazel said:
Citric acid really isn't a preservative. It's a pH regulator. It can help deter some bacteria by increasing the acidity of a product. But you really need a preservative that's effective against bacteria, mold and fungus.

Quote from Mountain Rose Herbs

Citric acid is used extensively in the food, beverage, cosmetic, and pharmaceutical industries. It has been recognized as safe by all major national and international food regulatory agencies, and is also approved by the US Food and Drug Administration and in Europe for use in food.

They don’t say citric acid is used as a preservative in cosmetics. They say it is used in different industries and is approved for food.

SideDoorSoaps said:
Citric acid is used for many different reasons, including (but not limited to):

* Antioxidant and preservative properties
* prevents rancidity and bacteria growth
* Astringency and Acidity
* Used in sourdough bread for an extra tart taste (known as "sour salt" among bakers)
* Adjusts pH
* Stabilizes the ingredients, color, taste, and flavor of a product
* Rapidly biodegradable
* Readily metabolized and eliminated from the body

Again, they don’t say it will preserve or prevent bacterial growth in cosmetics, etc. Although, it does work well as a pH regulator.

A combination of potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate and citric acid is used as a “preservative” which helps to extend a product’s shelf life but it's generally in food which is refrigerated, canned or vacuum sealed in a jar and will be consumed in a short period of time.

I have heard of it used in cosmetics but I would never trust a cosmetic which has citric acid as a preservative. As an experiment, open up a can of stewed tomatoes, put them in a container and stick them in a frig for a month or slightly longer. After a period of time, take them out and look at them. Is it still identifiable as tomatoes? You might have to scrape the fuzzy stuff off to see the tomatoes.

Scrubs and cosmetics are generally kept in a warm and humid environment. People are not conscientious about using clean and dry hands to retrieve product from a container. Also, how long is the product going to be kept? Will the container be opened and not used up right away?

Citric acid is not a preservative for cosmetics. Mountain Rose Herbs needs to rewrite this info to make it more clear.

Feeling discouraged

Hmm, well I was thinking of making some lotion but after reading this feed and the need for a preservative I am shying away from it. I am against using any chemicals in my products especially when I call them all-natural.

I read one entry who said citric acid is a preservative but some are disputing this fact. Very confusing!

If I make a lotion, without water (is that possible?), do I need to add a preservative? Furthermore, must bath salts have a preservative? Which do you use and why?

Available through my supplier and advertised as natural preservatives are:
- grapefruit seed extract
- potassium sorbate
- Tinosan SDC

Thoughts on these?

Back