Sugar Scrubs and Fragrance Amounts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, if, when making soap, I have a total oil, water, lye weight of 90 oz., and I assume 12% evaporation of water after curing 6 weeks, then the total weight, without fragrance oil, would be 79.2 oz. Then I calculate 6% of 79.2 oz (4.75 oz.) and add 4.75 oz fragrance oil to the oils, water and lye weight. The total batch (oils, water, lye, fragrance oil) weight is now 83.95 oz. 4.75 oz is 5.65% of the total batch weight, and as long as the IFRA for the fragrance is at least 5% for category 9, then I feel satisfied I'm not exceeding the guidelines, even though 4.75 oz would be almost 8% of the oil weight.
Do remember that at some point, the amount of extra liquid (in the form of FO) does affect your batter consistency. That’s why a lot of soapers do use the percent of oils reference. It is an easy way to ensure they aren’t crossing into that territory where all that extra liquid from large amounts of FO will cause their batter to behave badly.

Do remember that at some point, the amount of extra liquid (in the form of FO) does affect your batter consistency. That’s why a lot of soapers do use the percent of oils reference. It is an easy way to ensure they aren’t crossing into that territory where all that extra liquid from large amounts of FO will cause their batter to behave badly.
A good point to keep in mind. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back