What other hobbies and homemade goodies do you make?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've grown just about every kind of mushroom that you can grow indoors. Shiitake are awesome but they do best on full logs you can grow on woodchip/sawdust but it's more difficult. Button/portobello mushrooms are foul if you ask me I just hate the flavor and the substrates are REALLY unpleasant, I grew them once but never again. If you ever want to talk fungi drop me a line, I've spoken at the Telluride mushroom festival and I know a few things when it comes to mushrooms.

I've tried growing mushrooms three times and my total so far is one. It was a very nice mushroom, and I cooked it in butter and divided it between us. I am not going to give up, but I think I need to do some research!

I do all sorts of needlework (mostly embroidery and knitting), bake (mostly bread and biscuits) and make leaded stained glass panels.

Besides soap, scrubs and gardening, my favorite activity is my job. I dont know if that counts, but I teach pre-k in public school and feel so fulfilled that I have no desire to quit, even though I am the oldest person on my campus and probably in the entire district. I just have fun doing it! I'm looking forward to next year even more. I'll have a new team teacher who is as wild about this as I am.

Even though I cook all day long (I am a baker/pastry chef), I love baking bread, crackers, dog treats, and especially cookies. I also love candy making (truffles, pralines, caramels, etc.) doing beaded embroidery, growing herbs, and reading, especially biographies.

I love cooking and baking and inventing new and interesting things in the kitchen...this ranges from infusing gin with herbs to experimenting with green avocado frosting for birthday cakes :) My creativity in the kitchen mixed well with my approach to soap making when I started soaping a few years ago.
I feel like I have more hobbies than that, but between time with my husband and son, my "regular" job, and always trying to grow my soaping business, there's not much time for anything else :)

Photography is my other great hobby love! I get downright depressed if I can't go out picture taking. I enjoy drawing and painting as well though I'm quite out of practice. Cooking is fun too! I spend many a late Sunday night (Monday's are grocery days) looking at food blogs and drooling, lol!

Other interests of mine include...

Traditional archery (wood bows).
Tent camping.
Leather crafts.
Gardening (especially garlic and sweet potatoes).
Field-type English Cocker Spaniels.
Nubian dairy goats.
Cattle.

I have recently took up wood crafting. It all happened by accident and as a result of me being cheap. :) I wanted something different to display my products at craft shows and not the average table. So in my pursuit to be different and cheap (did not want to pay anyone) I created benches to display my products.
The frame of the bench folds up to make it easier for transporting.

20140506_180525[1].jpg

20140506_180623[2].jpg

20140329_193824[1].jpg

Iluminada,

Would you be wiling to share the plans for how you built those? I've been asking my husband to make some for me. You did an awesome job!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making App

My interest are oil and acrylic painting, scratch art. Photography so I have references to paint. Playing with old family photos and making DVD slide shows. I love to bake, collect recipes, cook both healthy foods and candies. Reading, loom knitting, crochete, soaping and last but not least time with family and friends. Oh and my full time job which I both hate & love depending on the day.

I make candles and do a bit of gardening. I love making jams. :)
And that is pretty much it. I study at the moment so big chunk of my free time goes on assignments, reading, etc. I haven't made any soap in 6 weeks. :(

Other than soap and other BB products, I have started to learn the cello. I used to fence and shoot, but those aren't an option at the moment - maybe in the future. I love to bake and also make things like Sloe Gin and so on. A bit of wood working - I have some plans drawn up but need more time to get it worked on.

As for cheese and wine, yes, also a hoby - but consuming rather than making.

I think this is the longest time in ages that went without soapmaking. :)
I'll get back to it, only 3 more weeks until exams are done.
At least cured soaps got chance to be used up, my soap storage in pantry was getting out of control. :D
I am down to about last 4-5 batches.

I have started with bracelet when I was young. but today I knit, crochet, build anything I find on Pinterest :D

I think I'm going to start raising quail. We are moving and chickens will not be allowed. Quail are quieter, eggs are smaller and they will make less mess to clean. I could keep males and raise babies.

Latest posts

Back