What do you do for work?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
I can't remember if I've seen a post like this here before, but I recently saw it on another forum and thought it'd be fun!

What do you do for work?

I'll start. I went to school for Child & Youth Work/Social Work but ever since I've been out of college I've been working as a front desk receptionist at a hotel. Right now I only work 4 days a month. :\

How about you??

I used to be a restaurant manager. Practically 24/7 for three restaurants at a time. BLAH! I decided that was way to stressful after being Dx'd with MS. Now, I work from home as a Medical Transcriptionist! It is great! No office politics, no dealing with the public (you know what I mean Ashley!), no BS, just do your job. Oh, that would be between spending way to much time here!

Great post Ashley!

I haven't worked outside the house for the last 8 years (SAHM and homeschooler now), but I used to work in the warranty department of a major spa manufacturer, taking calls and troubleshooting broken spas. That job made me despise phones with all my heart, lol.

i'm a construction electrician. but have been laid off for most of the past 5 years on and off. last year only 6 weeks of work. so, i may have to go back to school,yuck. not looking forward to that and i'm no spring chicken. i told my daughter, that her and i will be in the same class, she's gonna have to be my tutor. lol. she's smarter than me anyway.lol

hopefully obama will toss some stim money over to michigan and get us goin again. my trade used to do a lot of work in the auto plants, me and my family members are really being hit hard by all this..many of them work in the plants.

Remember Buy American!

renee

I do freelance web site design, and also work 2 days per week at the chamber of commerce in our town handling all the computer/graphic design stuff for the chamber & its members.

I have had all kinds of jobs in the past from Motel manager, pawn shop worker, worked for someone that had juke boxes, pinballs, viedo games and pooltables, I moved them worked on them and collected money.

After that I went back to school and got degrees in computer programming and electrical engineering technology. While I was in school I got on with USPS as a rural carrier sub, that was a little over 17 years ago. Guess where I'm at now, you guessed it the Post Office. I finally got on regular a little over a year ago, so I deliver mail 6 days a week. Now I worry that I might not have a job, we were told last fall that employees with less than 6 years in as full time might be layed off.

x

since the economy tanked and my husband is partially disabled i've had to go back to truck driving. i run the 48 states and canada. we had sold our trucks and semi-retired out in the country.

we had lived outside seattle where i had built a pretty thriving business selling soap to different health food stores and day spas, bed a breakfasts, etc. it just got to the point where the cost of living, taxes and traffic was out of control. we fell in love with this resort-like area with year-round fishing. property was Sooo much cheaper and so was the cost of living. it was like stepping back into the 1950's!

there are no jobs where we live in alabama, unless you want to work at a tyson chicken processing plant, nursing homes or a no-pay job like walmart.

with mounting medical bills i went to work for a really nice outfit and just squeeked thru a massive 175 driver layoff just after xmas.

i count my blessings even tho i'm gone from home sometimes for 3-4 weeks at a time, we still have it better than a lot of others out there. and we still have eachother. i couldn't have found a better soulmate.
i consider myself lucky in many ways.

monet

I'm a licensed medical esthetician. For the past 12years or so I have worked in either a spa or dermatology office. This past September I switched over to a chiropractic office.

I'm the office manager at a holistic healing and wellness center. We offer all kinds of holistic and naturopathic therapies, nutritional counseling too.

I'm looking at schools to get certified as a massage therapist, something I plan on doing in the next year.

Danielito said:
I'm the office manager at a holistic healing and wellness center. We offer all kinds of holistic and naturopathic therapies, nutritional counseling too.

I'm looking at schools to get certified as a massage therapist, something I plan on doing in the next year.

hellll yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah another LMT in the making :)

I work in commerical construction, mostly doors and thier hardware. When times are slow I get to study and create new products. And there has been alot of that over the last few months.

Bruce

In the 80's I was a professional union actress working film, television & stage as well as doing photographic modelling. I decided I didn't want to move to LA and it wasn't time for me to move to Vancouver so I went into automotive sales. I took a break from that for a while and went into graphic design and architectural sign design. I ended up going back to the auto industry as a Commercial Lease manager because the money was just so good. 18 months ago I broke my foot which wouldn't heal but because of blood clots we didn't want to operate. After 6 months the bone finally started to knit, but I also had 3 bones that are piled on top of each other and another joint that is dislocated but has healed like that. So I ended up off work for 9 months which meant they couldn't hold my manager's position, I also discovered how badly I was being affected by all the stress of running a lease team so decided it was time to change my life-style which also meant lowering my income. Now I am starting up my soap business and loving it!

I work a full-time job and a part-time job - hence, very limited time for soaping. My full time job is as a Program Assistant (a fancy name for secretary) for the World Bank in Washington DC. I work in the Privatization and Finance department for the European and Central Asian Region (mostly former FSU (former soviet union) countries). I've been working there for 20 years and I HATE it! I want out. There is an FBI and forensics lab 10 minutes from my house. I keep looking to see if I'll find something there which will be closer to home and more interesting, wish me luck with that.

My part-time job I work from home doing research for a company that my baby sis is part-owner of. If you all get the chance check out:

gosnopping.com

and give me your comments, ideas, thoughts about the site. It is in beta testing right now and we're in the process of getting ideas and thoughts from friends and family. BTW - My love of soapmaking actually started because the first "street" that I did for gosnopping was, yep, you guessed it, soapmaking street. it's not up yet but when it goes up I'll let you all know.

I am a maternity/baby/product photographer by day, and at night I own my own home business (soap/B&B, detergent, cloth diapering items..)..

Hubby is a photographer too (and newspaper editor) so we run the studio together. :)

Library clerk at the public library. That's how I got interested in soap making - a soap making book caught my attention! Never would have dawned on me that I could actually make soap until I saw the book, hehe.

I am a geologist and work as a project manager for a large environmental, architecture, planning, engineering firm. Wow....that's a mouthful. Basically I clean up hazardous waste sites or sites with soil and groundwater contamination.

7053joanne said:
I am a geologist and work as a project manager for a large environmental, architecture, planning, engineering firm. Wow....that's a mouthful. Basically I clean up hazardous waste sites or sites with soil and groundwater contamination.

That's really interesting work! My FIL used to own an enviro clean up company that did alot of work back in the 90's cleaning up superfund sites, especially old gas stations with leaky underground tanks. I wrote most of his initial abatement reports for the Virginia DEQ. It was horrifying seeing the levels of nasties in the ground water.

Norai said:
Library clerk at the public library. That's how I got interested in soap making - a soap making book caught my attention! Never would have dawned on me that I could actually make soap until I saw the book, hehe.

Hey, Norai, I'm a library clerk too. I worked in a large public library for 20 years. Then I decided to leave the city for the country and I now work in a college library.

I work at an Accounting Firm by day. I'm learning quite a bit about rules and such mostly for new york city. Thank god its over in one more day!!

Latest posts

Back