It is what it is

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for checking in. I had my first PT on Tuesday and will have another tomorrow. Then twice a week for the next few weeks, and evaluation at that time. There is only so much they can do for me at home. Pain is mostly manageable with Tylenol and ice. I’m sleeping pretty well. Just doing my best to stay positive and be mindful of how much my hubby is dealing with.

Keep up your physio, dh had to do physio for a year, for a shoulder op years ago. His outcome was nearly 100% use of his shoulder because he keep up with it, a friend who had the same op did not have the same outcome because he didn't keep it up because it hurt. Of course it hurt, I don't know what he expected. Glad your sleeping OK.

I have an update. My first post op appointment was today and my cast is off and my foot is now in a boot. Still no weight bearing so no change in mobility or what I can do, but definitely more comfortable as I can take it off when I am sitting in a chair. I have to wear it when I am sleeping, which isn’t ideal but still a tiny step forward. I also found out that surgery wasn’t because of the ankle fracture, but because there are two broken bones in my foot. Overall I am feeling like a bit of progress has been made. Next appointment is in three weeks.

Today I get to start the 10 finger count-down to finally being able to start taking steps. I will start with 25% of my body weight on my surgery leg for 3-5 days and progress from there. Just being able to touch that foot to the floor is huge!

I have finished home PT, and can do some things independently but still rely on hubby for so much. We are both excited for this next 'step' in the healing process. After so much time 10 days seems still so far away and so close all at once. The ability to do so many things is almost within reach now.

Today I get to start the 10 finger count-down to finally being able to start taking steps. I will start with 25% of my body weight on my surgery leg for 3-5 days and progress from there. Just being able to touch that foot to the floor is huge!

I have finished home PT, and can do some things independently but still rely on hubby for so much. We are both excited for this next 'step' in the healing process. After so much time 10 days seems still so far away and so close all at once. The ability to do so many things is almost within reach now.
Great news that progress is being made! It probably seems like you have been broken forever. Hang in there with the PT. I broke both ankles 23 years ago and my doc didn’t recommend PT. I wish he had. I’m a huge believer now and wish I had pushed for it.
Do you know if you might be able to use a knee scooter as you heal? I used them after an ankle surgery and again when I broke my ankle last year. If you get permission it may be cheaper to buy one from Amazon or cheaper yet if you can find one on FB Marketplace. Get one with a basket and that will completely change your life. 😊 Just being able to carry my own coffee cup was liberating.

I somehow missed this whole thread, and certainly hope you're going to progress through this last phase of recovery successfully. I'm so sorry to hear (even belatedly!) about this painful incident. It sounds like you followed your doctor's and physio's advice perfectly, and that's not a small success; I've seen first hand what skipping the therapy can do to a person.

Great news that progress is being made! It probably seems like you have been broken forever. Hang in there with the PT. I broke both ankles 23 years ago and my doc didn’t recommend PT. I wish he had. I’m a huge believer now and wish I had pushed for it.
Do you know if you might be able to use a knee scooter as you heal? I used them after an ankle surgery and again when I broke my ankle last year. If you get permission it may be cheaper to buy one from Amazon or cheaper yet if you can find one on FB Marketplace. Get one with a basket and that will completely change your life. 😊 Just being able to carry my own coffee cup was liberating.
I’m sorry you have a somewhat shared experience. My therapist thought a knee scooter wasn’t offered as an option because of the location of the break of my ankle. At this point, I will start weight bearing on that foot and progress to 100% over two weeks and be able to just use a cane, I hope. Thanks for the encouragement.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back