We have a WINNER!!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made my 1st batch and cut it yesterday. It's got a decent spoon swirl, but the colors ended up a bit muted. I just don't see anything special about it. Agree with Newbie, this could fill my soap rack I a hurry....and it's already pretty full. My solution...I found this 3.5" x 6" x 2.5" container this weekend. It should make 5 perfectly sized bars, so I'm going for smaller batches to get the end result for the blankety-blank challenge. Between family, work and Christmas, I don have time to build a small mold, so this is a quick-and-dirty solution.

image.jpg

Last edited:
That's exactly what I did. I've been using my one pound mold to make things because I know I will repeat or change to try different things and it makes me crazy to have 7-8 bars of practice soap. Even so, I still have a boat load of relative junk (it will wash and looks okay but isn't any sort of great design), except for 2 that I think may make the grade.

I have practice #2 completed 42 hrs go, and I can't get it out the bleeping mold. I used a new fo that I think slowed saponofication, reversed it, and is keeping is super soft. I know no other reason other than the dad gum gremlins and the fo. I have it freezing now, and I will have to use my new mold I made outta a box to try #3 seeing as this mush pad isn't budging. What in the world?! I've unmolded every single soap I've made in this mold just fine, without any problems....now it's like a wet mess. It had potential too, and now I have to shave off every side IF it ever becomes solid enough to hold!!!

What FO did you use? Hopefully freezing will get it out and then some air drying will help it firm up. You just never know what's inside these buggers.

I used lavender cedar from bb. I seriously think it slowed trace. I put the silicone mold on my tray with towels on all sides, a piece of cardboard for a lid, and set the tray on a styrofoam box. This always gells it, and in this case it felt not nearly as warm on the bottom, and remained so wet. It then leaked water on top that zapped like licking a down power line. Well, I said, meh, I know I used the right measurements and I KNOW I dissolved all lye, so I said "it'll go away", which it did. Now the soap is finally hardening and zap free everywhere.

I swear I have the weirdest things happen, and I've come to not freak and let it slide. So long as I measured accurately, dissolved lye fully I know it will work itself out eventually.

I should've left it alone another day or two, but my irritation with it made me squeeze it out. Too bad because after I cut, it looks awesome inside!

At least I now understand the swirl technique better.

I did two tonight just in case one isn't good but the other is. I should have water discounted my recipe because this took FOREVER to trace! If I was doing a drop swirl these would have been on point for that. Ah well. I heated up the oven for an hour and stuck them in and turned the oven off to let them rest in there since the basement is getting cooler.

Also, this is my first time recording myself and that was no fun. I didn't really have anywhere to set up the camera so it was a weird angle. Ah well, too tired to care tonight!

Grrrrr. Just posted about using what was supposed to a 50% lye solution from a supplier. Actually had a good spoon swirl...I believe. Good color combination and layering...had a lot of potential until it separated. Will try same again tomorrow but mix my own lye!!! Thank goodness I had used the small mold shown above

Okay, Lion Princess, now I want to see your squeezed swirled soap. If you aren't using it for the challenge, will you post a picture?

I have loads of empathy for you, Daryl. I have had many a separation. In fact, I just started not gelling soap that I poured thin, then unmolding at about 24 hours, slicing and then slowly heating the slices. They will gel but you can control it more. I have to figure out a way to pack them in so they don't ploop out on the sides, but even when they do, it's not bad and works out okay. I did this with my Hot Wheels soap. Here they are in gel phase. If you pour thin and have problems with separation, it can be worth a try.

IMG_4725.jpg

I will Jules. In fact, it's my typical go to recipe. It should've worked fine. Got brand new lye after that poor soap. Should be good to go. May weigh my empty bottle to tare out the new one and see moisture lost (must find Susie's post on how she does that).

Newbie, my blog will have a post for the link up and everything. After my spoon swirl challange blog post, I may do a follow up post of my soaps I attempted before submitting, with pics and all. I need to get writing on that thing! It has, oh, 3 posts so far hehe. I will post the pic, however, in a bit here.

I've been having a pretty good RA (rheumatoid arthritis) flare the last two days, so I took some prednisone last night. I hate taking it and haven't used it in over 6 months, but I can't soap this weekend feeling like I've felt the last two days. You know you're addicted to soaping when you take medication you hate to take just to get enough relief to soap! No, not for anything else, but only so you can soap.
:think::eh::cool:

Amy, wish I'd seen your post earlier. It bothered me all night (Obsess much?) so, I got up this morning first thing and pitched it. I had used two of your mica samples too. :( I have enough of each to try again today.

I have a huge soap ball with all I cut off of it. The merlot mica, I didn't realize, turns so pink/mauvy...so not quite what I was going for.
My lighting was crummy this morning, so forgive the dull pics.

IMAG2521.jpg

IMAG2520.jpg

IMAG2523_1.jpg

IMAG2522.jpg

Oh that's beautiful! Nice movement in there too. You can't tell from the pics that you trimmed them up but yes, you can tell how sticky soft if was in the other pictures. Nice save!!

RA is no fun. I do think it's kind of funny that you will choke down a prednisone to soap, but you know we'd all be doing the same. It's a powerful motivator!

Well just tried my 2nd attempt - complete failure. As I feared the Tuberose Moss from BB is too fast for this project (now we know, Amy). Barely got it layered in the mold. I am pretty sure I have lots of air pockets.

I do like my colors though...

Next...

Latest posts

Back