• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Soap Making Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED: Organic Tamanu Oil Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braveheartkim

Reaction score
I'm looking for Organic Soap with a high percentage (%) of Tamanu Oil as a main ingredient and fewer other ingredients. I prefer soaps that are fragrance-free and with basic ingredients of Coconut or Olive Oils and very few or NO other ingredients.

Currently, I have found soaps containing Tamanu Oil in small percentages. I found one that has 20% Tamanu Oil, but it contained a myriad of other ingredients that I do not want.

I would be VERY HAPPY to find a soap-maker that might even be willing to custom-make this for me to purchase.

Thanks so much if you can help or direct me to the right resources. :)

Why?
I wouldn't use anything that expensive in a wash off product.

Keeping in mind you want a combo with just coconut and olive oil, you'd probably make a better recipe leaving it out completely.

dagmar88 said:
Why?
I wouldn't use anything that expensive in a wash off product.

Keeping in mind you want a combo with just coconut and olive oil, you'd probably make a better recipe leaving it out completely.

That's why I came to the experts for direction because I don't know the whole soap-making process. I love Tamanu Oil and it's healing properties and wanted to find a soap that also used it, but it makes sense not to use too much of a high-priced item for a wash-off product.

I don't know that I particularly need BOTH CO/OO combination. I only know that those are common ingredients in many natural soaps. I don't like soaps that include alot of OTHER oils, glycerine, or other additional products. I don't know the best ratios or combinations, etc.

Thanks again for your in-put and suggestions. :)

:wink: Glycerin is a natural byproduct of the saponification process.
So it's rarely added to soaps made from scratch with oils/butters and lye.

It could be they either listed their ingredients the wrong way; by trying to list what is in the end product instead of what goes in.

Or you could have bought glycerin soap, or as we call it Melt & Pour (m&P); a ready made base.

dagmar88 said:
Or you could have bought glycerin soap, or as we call it Melt & Pour (m&P); a ready made base.
probably this! and IME, MP soap is not marvelous for skin issues. gorgeous stuff, it can be a work of art, but not as skin-great as CP soaps (tho yes, people can customize, still it has never been good for me)

Thanks for bringing this up. I've heard of tamanu oil before, but by name only (basically, I only see it in passing whenever I'm on SoapCalc looking to plug tallow into my formula). I just looked it up, though, and it sounds like a wonderful oil with lots of good properties.

I agree with the others- it's way too good (and expensive- eek! :shock: ) for soap. It would be very lovely in a body butter, though, where its healing properties could be better safeguarded and better utilised. Body butter is so easy to make, too. Have you looked in our Bath & Body sub-forum?

IrishLass :)

Tamanu oil

I'm looking for Organic Soap with a high percentage (%) of Tamanu Oil as a main ingredient and fewer other ingredients. I prefer soaps that are fragrance-free and with basic ingredients of Coconut or Olive Oils and very few or NO other ingredients.

Currently, I have found soaps containing Tamanu Oil in small percentages. I found one that has 20% Tamanu Oil, but it contained a myriad of other ingredients that I do not want.

I would be VERY HAPPY to find a soap-maker that might even be willing to custom-make this for me to purchase.

Thanks so much if you can help or direct me to the right resources. :)

Tamanu oil does not need to be used in large quantites to be effective. I just purchased 2 ounces and I may use 1/2oz in a recipe. It would effect the cost of the soap in the end but its great for sensitive skin and those with problem skin. Combined with tea tree oil, one could create a wonderful soap. Castor oil creates a nice bubbly lather and coconut oil with palm kernal oil makes a hard bar. I make soap with goats milk, a soothing addition on its own. Tamanu oil is not for those with nut allergies. If you are still looking for soap, let me know.

Last edited:
Back