Underrated and Overrated Soaping Ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great thread!

I'm only in my second year of soap making so take everything with a grain of salt, but I have an opinion that not any of you seem to share. That is that I do not like olive oil in my soap. Any soap that I have OO in gets super mushy since my bars experience high traffic and my climate is super humid. Even bars that I buy from professional soapmakers that have OO in them, go mushy on me, no matter how well I treat them. From hearing everyone rave about it in soap, I figured I'd love it, but nope. It's just not for me. Just goes to show you that for certain ingredients, people can have wildly different results based on conditions and personal preference.
What do you use in place of olive oil?

Ironically, I was doing some searching for something else and came across a thread about substituting almond oil for olive oil in Zany's No Slime Castile recipe ~ I'll try to find the link and insert it but you can find it by searching for "Zany's No Slime Castile" in the search feature

ETA: I think this is the link
Post in thread 'What soapy thing have you done today?' https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/what-soapy-thing-have-you-done-today.42556/post-989626

In the first place I try to reduce my liquid oils as best can (not including castor). I like to keep them at about 15-20% and I prefer Sweet Almond oil over olive. I enjoy the results of even less than 15% liquid oils, but lower than that and the batch becomes hard to make intricate designs with.

Latest posts

Back