Views from soapers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodders

Reaction score
As a soaper
I've tried all methods. Started straight in the deep end' jumped both feet in and made a cold process soap..
All though very basic using pomace oil and coconut milk
Still turned out ok.
Next tried the melt and pour . Which is very quick and easy and can get some great results with a little time and patience and
A great thing to do with children and grandchildren. I've now moved on to the hp method. I must admit I do like this method and love to use pork tallow as my main

Would just like to know what the rest of u all think. What methods do u like most of all

I personally love cp, but I will admit that I haven't tried the other methods. Truthfully, I have no desire to try other methods for one reason or another, but each to his own.
Happy soap making!
Cheers!
Anna Marie

Happy soaping! I love doing cold process. Something about going from a liquid to a solid fascinates me.

I started out with HP and do like making it. But my main reason for doing CP is the time constraints- more specifically time on task. I work long hard hours and find I can measure my oils one evening, line my mold another, then make the CP soap in just a while. But there are times I miss HP.

I did do M&P years ago. Haven't done it in a long time. But I am thinking about ordering some to make embeds.

I first made candles, then tried the melt and pour because I was initially scared of the lye. It wasn't enough for me. I considered making my own soap with lye for years before I actually did it. I wish I did it sooner. HP has its own kind of love. To me its just a different way to make art. So far in my limited experience I like making CP, but that may change in years to come when I do practice HP more. I like the look of M&P but it just lacks the feeling (to me) of 'I made this with ingredients I chose'. I don't mean for this to stand for everyone, this is just my personal feeling.

Curiosity has gotten me into all sorts of things good and maybe not so good. I wove a basket at a YMCA as a youth and that seems to be the first of many different hobbies.
My soaping obsession began after the purchase of a bar of Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap. Loved it. How do they do this? Lots of research led to the SoapMakingForum where I found a link to a first timers tutorial. It's no longer here but it was perfect for me at the time. Gallons of different oils later I still am hung up on CP and may or may not go into anything else. I love the planning, gathering, and execution with mostly great results. :roll:
Then there's those danged mold liners...I haven't completely given up on perfecting that skill so I'll be around for a while.
Much credit for my soaping successes go to this forum. It is maintained as a very civil, friendly, helpful and motivating resource.
Ok, I'll shut up.

To Hodders: There's no such thing as "pork tallow." If it's from pork, then it's lard - which is fine. Just sayin'

HP for me!!! I started off making cp, but after trying hp, I can't make myself go back to cp. HP clean up is so much easier, and I like knowing my soap/lye is fully sponified. I miss some of the swirl methods of cp, but have learned some great coloring techniques for hp. HP all the way for me !!!

Hp all the way. I love that everything has saponified. I love the rustic look and have no interest in Cp. It seems like too many people have issues with Cp and I feel hp is really straight forward. I've never had issues with it.

I've only ever done CP but have no desire to try any of the other methods. I like the mad scientist feeling I get from turning a caustic substance into a creamy, softening, practical product that I can use.

i started with candles. then i found out it was a PITA to pipe wax, so i moved to MP. the bloody same thing happened, it was a PITA to pipe MP. moved on to CP, got what i wished for, which was to make cupcake soaps :D These days, I like them all (CP, HP, MP). HP and MP are good for when you need things quickly.

Cold process room temperature method. Thought about trying hp but no desire really. CPRT gives me to run up and down stairs without worrying about temps. Gives me a sense of freedom. Right now I have the lye/liquid combined for three 5lb batches soap: 2 double butter and one olive palm. I'll go down later and finish them.

I make more cp soap than M&P, but if I want to get fancy I use M&P and the many decorating options available. Melt & pour soap's transparency is great when using embeds, mica, charcoal etc., because the beautiful colors do not hide what is in the bar. I like to use cp soap for swirling, layering and soap cupcakes. Each method is fun and exciting once you try it.

I started with HP and loved it moved on to CP and love it for all the swirls and options for design. But I love them both, I keep half of each kind on hand at all times. I haven't tried CPOP yet. That's my next one.

My first dip was MP, which I didn't really like because I didn't feel like I was really "making" the soap and couldn't control the ingredients. I then went to CP and overall love the results. However, I have tried HP when I've had a catastrophe and I love the speed of it just not an overall fan of the rustic look. So with all that said I love soap making and I think every method like any other art has it's place depending on the result you're looking for.

I happen to absolutely hate hp, only use it when using known bad fo's. I just do not like the look or feel of hp, jmo. I love what my daughter can do with mp and we have a fantastic veggie base made with lye and veggie oils. It is a very high quality mild glycerin soapbase made for us. I happen to *suck* big time at mp so I leave that to her. She is epileptic and it is just not safe for her to play with lye. She goes through 1-1.5 pallets of mp a year. That is a lot of mp!!

I did CP, rebatch, HP, CP again x 3. Now I am making liquid soaps: handwashing soap, liquid laundry soap, dish soap, more handwashing soap, shampoo gel.

I like CP, but it takes so much less WAITING to do liquid. I am not fond of HP texture. So, my favorites lie somewhere between CP and liquid right now.

I started out making candles. Then I added M&P soap and loved it but always wanted to make my own soap from scratch instead of a base. Thinking of using lye kept me away for a few years until I felt brave enough to try CP. It was instant love! I make mostly CP soap but I also make CPHP too. For me its a particular recipe or scent that is the deciding factor. I love making both. Recently I started working with KOH so I am learning to make cream and liquid soaps. I enjoy learning all about each method. I think the knowledge enriches all of your soapmaking by showing you new ways to do things. I still make candles BTW but no more M&P. I just never liked not having complete control of what goes into my soap so M&P and I have departed.

Mostly I do CP. I love being able to do fun colors & swirls & things. I do HP for my "all-natural" soaps, since I can add in the EOs after the soap is done cooking. I've tried MP, but I just didn't enjoy it.

Back