VERY STRANGE PHENOMENON--REPEAT

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcornett

Reaction score
About 4 months ago I made my first pink grapefruit soap. I used pink flamingo mica and a blend of pink grapefruit & summer sorbet fo, and the stangest thing happened, as I cut it I noticed the center was pale yellow but turned darker over a matter of minutes. I didn't know if it was the mica or the fo as it was my first time using both. Well, I just made another batch, but this time I had my camera ready. :) (And I learned something)

I tried to get a few pics of the gradual change as the center goes from yellow to the pink it should be, and does end up being.

What I learned is that it must be the mica, because I also made another log of cherry almond, coloring it this time with the pink flamingo. It's not quite as noticable since I used TD and added swirls, but it still underwent the "change" and in this one it not only went to pink but it momentarily went to a hot pink (you have to look closely) and then back to normal.

I just think this is sooooo strange! Besides that I hadn't shared any pics in a pretty long time. :)

I had a similar thing of bright orange into pink and back to apricot.

Wow that is amazing! It's great that you were able to capture the change! Love the look and smells sound beautiful!

Gorgeous! Will the colour change stay? They look amazing.. i wish i had a smell-o-mac computer and could enjoy the scent too.

Put up some pics if the colour changes again. Great swirls too.

Thanks for sharing.

Dragonkaz said:
Wow that is amazing! It's great that you were able to capture the change! Love the look and smells sound beautiful!

LOL! Yeah I was ready for it this time, because it had happened before and I learned then that in the time it takes to get the camera it has already changed considerably. I'm just glad I cut the grapefruit first, I wasn't really expecting to see this with the cherry almond.

Nurse-when the center turns pink like the rest of the bar it doesn't change back...strange isn't it? :)

This is very strange but the soaps look great. I love the swirls. Sounds like you're always going to have a surprise when using this colorant.

Hazel said:
This is very strange but the soaps look great. I love the swirls. Sounds like you're always going to have a surprise when using this colorant.

Yeah, I can just kind of look for it I guess, but it sure is a super nice pink so I'm bound to keep using it. :)

So where did you get the pink mica? I've only been able to find red, blue, green, purple, gold, silver. No pastel colors. Do share!!

JackiK said:
So where did you get the pink mica? I've only been able to find red, blue, green, purple, gold, silver. No pastel colors. Do share!!
I get this one from soap supplies, she has some beautiful micas.

I haven't used the red mica Hazel, and I do get most of my micas from tkb. What I normally order from ss are the oxides, I use red, black, brown and green, and they color great but can end up on your rag if your not careful. I've used a few of ss micas though and the ones I've used have stayed true in soap. I love this pink, it's awesome.

Hazel said:
Thanks for the reply. I may have to try it some time.

Like I need more colorants. :roll:
LOL!! I know what you mean. I had to build a shelf just to house my ever expanding line of soaping supplies...I'm especially bad with the fo's. :shock:

Latest posts

Back