vegitable oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure of your question as most people prefer all vegetable oil and vegan soaps. Its just a matter of personal preference. Those that are vegetarians may feel uncomfortable about using a soap with animal fats. Also, there are those who specifically ask for the old fashioned lye soap and what they really want is soap made with lard or beef tallow. Either way, a well made soap can be made using all veggie oils or animal oils. Depends on the the quality of the ingredients and how they are put together.

Here in the US "vegetable oil" can be canola oil, soybean oil, or blend of those or other oils. So we don't speak on terms of "vegetable oil", b/c that's a category of oils, not a specific oil. I make sure to read the label on the back to make sure i am getting 100% soybean oil, or 100% canola oil.

Not sure of your question as most people prefer all vegetable oil and vegan soaps.

Sorry, but I disagree with this statement. IME most people very much prefer soaps made with a blend of animal and plant oils. Only a very small percent want all plant-based products.

As dixie said, vegetable oils are a large category of oils. Many soapers including myself avoid oils like canola, corn, etc because they don't bring the qualities we are looking for in to the soap and they have a tendency to go rancid more quickly than more stable oils such as olive and coconut. Others use them without issue, it's really up to you.

New12 -

I disagree a bit. I think that "all vegetable" has powerful label appeal in the soap and toiletries market. People ask me why I use lard - but they don't ask about any of the plant oils. When I go to craft shows, most of the soapers are selling all vegetable, so I am assuming that is what the market wants.

I avoid blanket terms like "all vegetable" oil...cuz even though there may be no animal oils in the mix......there will still be things I need to avoid. Example....friend of mine likes the canola/olive blend. And it IS all vegetable......but another customer of mine........allergic to olive oil. Also....the term is used to discribe soybean............and stuff blended with soybean. I perfer "pure" or "100%" for content. No math or percentages that way. If something is gonna be blended...I'll do that myself.

New12 -

I disagree a bit. I think that "all vegetable" has powerful label appeal in the soap and toiletries market. People ask me why I use lard - but they don't ask about any of the plant oils. When I go to craft shows, most of the soapers are selling all vegetable, so I am assuming that is what the market wants.

I get what you are saying, but as I said that is just my experience. I think "label appeal" is very powerful and proclaiming "All Vegetable Soap!" really makes it sound like they ought to like that. It certainly scans better than "Made With Pig Fat and Cow Scraps!" kwim? Kind of like:

"Made With One Quarter Moisturizing Cream!" (that would be Dove - despite the fact that the ingredients list is nearly identical to another of their products, deodorant soap Lever 2000), or;

"So Pure It Floats!" (Ivory, because someone walked away and left a mixer on and whipped too much air into the soap!).

It's all in the marketing.

Again, just my experience, but unless a customer is a vegetarian or vegan, has religious requirements, or has allergies, they really don't care what is in the soap. They care if it smells good, lathers, gets them clean and makes their skin feel good. Sending out many many many different soaps and asking for feedback (which I still do when working with something new) has yeilded about a 95% preference for soaps made with animal fats, regardless of the scent. They prefer the soap even if they don't prefer the label.

Legally dove can't claim to be soap as they added several chemicals turning it into detergent. And Ivory hasn't floated for years. Hahaha

Is there a reason ppl dont want vegitable oil soap

It might help if you could explain your question further. Do you mean that customers / consumers don't want to use vegetable oil soap, or that soapmakers don't want to use vegetable oil in their soap? Are you talking about "vegetable oil" specifically (eg. oil labeled "vegetable oil" containing soybean oil, canola oil, etc.) or any oil that is plant based? Some people choose not to use palm oil due to environmental concerns and might substitute animal fats, for example, but that's a completely different discussion.

So the stuff in uk shops labled vegitable oil
Is a blend of oils

It seems to vary by location or brand. The kind that I find in local stores is Crisco brand. On the label, it says Pure Vegetable Oil, but if you read the ingredients, it's actually 100% soybean oil.

No specifically....but can be. Mostly its soybean oil....which is good for skin....but soy tends to have issues. I perfer canola personally........but I'm still gonna double check that the label says 100%. If there's no 100% , then the oil could be a blend.

Thanks i guess my confusion was fown to the turm vegitable oil on label

Yep google auto corrects rape seed oil soap to canola oil soap lol
That clears up why i never see recipies listing vegitable oil

You may want to fix your google. Mine say canola........cuz I put canola in it. Rapeseed oil is a strong version of canola oil.........and canola sounds better.

I typed in "rapeseed oil soap" and tge auto conpleate sergrstion was "canola oil soap" it made me lol

Its all the same oil. Canola oil comes from the rapeseed. In some locations they don't call it canola.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh that explains much. Here is called canola (canada -oil- low acid) and here in the usa.........it has gained in popularity to the point that its now grown here...in north dekota. Its some wonderful stuff through........replaces olive oil for those that are allergic or cheap.

Latest posts

Back