Veggies in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DramaQueen

Reaction score
Hey, I know that you can sub the water in the lye mixture out for milk, and coffee. I have also heard that you can puree veggies and use those. How would you do this, and are there any veggies that you would not want to do? Or any other liquid that should be avoided? I know that you would not use alcohol. Thanks!

You don't want to use really acid fruit/juice like lemons.
I don't care for purees but I have used cucumber and carrot juice before. I used the juice as a full replacement for water, the carrot overheated due to the sugars but the cucumber was well behaved.
I really like aloe juice, I buy the premade stuff but I have made my own before, I added gel to water, blended it and strained.

You can use alcohol but you need to cook the alcohol off first. I used to make beer soap often.

I’ve made carrot purée soap and pumpkin purée soap- using cooked, puréed veges as half the water amount. I’ve also used apples, lychees, passionfruit, bananas…

None of them impressed me much, but I tried and got it out of my system.

These days I always include one of the following: aloe juice, coconut cream, rice water or oat milk.

I’ve made carrot purée soap and pumpkin purée soap- using cooked, puréed veges as half the water amount. I’ve also used apples, lychees, passionfruit, bananas…

None of them impressed me much, but I tried and got it out of my system.

These days I always include one of the following: aloe juice, coconut cream, rice water or oat milk.

Coconut milk & cream are 2 of my favourites in facial soaps, along with some silk & honey or coconut sugar. Absolutely fabulous for the face :) ❤️

Yeah, it's time to make a large batch of coconut milk soap, I do believe 😁 Measure tonight & make tomorrow!

You don't want to use really acid fruit/juice like lemons.
I don't care for purees but I have used cucumber and carrot juice before. I used the juice as a full replacement for water, the carrot overheated due to the sugars but the cucumber was well behaved.
I really like aloe juice, I buy the premade stuff but I have made my own before, I added gel to water, blended it and strained.

You can use alcohol but you need to cook the alcohol off first. I used to make beer soap often.

I am assuming due to the citric acid content. which affects the lye, and which would be impossible to recalculate the lye in relation to due to the citric acid content of the lemon being used not at a standard strength / level, for lack of a better term I am struggling to think of at the moment? Apologies, I am overtired & proper english usage is escaping me at the moment 😂

Has anyone tried a little bit of citric acid or salt in a coconut milk soap?

I have tried sugar & honey, both of which are amazing with coconut, but not citric acid or salt. I find coconut milk can make for a softer bar, along with the sugar / honey, so I'm wondering if the addition of salt in the lye water might increase hardness.

There is also distilled aloe which is available, and which I use in a lot of my products. It's shelf stable & beautiful stuff.

I am assuming due to the citric acid content. which affects the lye, and which would be impossible to recalculate the lye in relation to due to the citric acid content of the lemon being used not at a standard strength / level, for lack of a better term I am struggling to think of at the moment? Apologies, I am overtired & proper english usage is escaping me at the moment 😂

Has anyone tried a little bit of citric acid or salt in a coconut milk soap?

I have tried sugar & honey, both of which are amazing with coconut, but not citric acid or salt. I find coconut milk can make for a softer bar, along with the sugar / honey, so I'm wondering if the addition of salt in the lye water might increase hardness.

There is also distilled aloe which is available, and which I use in a lot of my products. It's shelf stable & beautiful stuff.
@DeeAnna provides lye adjustment numbers on her website for lemon juice, but I’m sorry I don’t have the link atm 🙈
I recently tried watermelon juice Orange Watermelon Soap and it looks great so far, but I’ll see how it plays out.

@DeeAnna provides lye adjustment numbers on her website for lemon juice, but I’m sorry I don’t have the link atm 🙈

I recently tried watermelon juice Orange Watermelon Soap and it looks great so far, but I’ll see how it plays out.

I had overlooked the fact that she has a website, actually. Please share the link, and thank you :)

I soap with vinegar at 50-100% of my water replacement in all my soaps. I do use fresh aloe, avocado, and carrot purees in my soaps and have used persimmon purees in the past when I was given a case of overripe persimmons. You just want to make sure veggie purees are very smooth and not chunky so they do not mold. Carrot puree with a tad of turmeric will give a really pretty yellow-orange color to your soap so I would use it with my high shea butter facial bars. I also infused HO sunflower oil with carrots to make Carrot Tissue Oil. Zany has a posting located here. I also made a lot of lotions and it did work well in lotions without going bad. Yes, I had it tested. Zany's MIY Carrot Tissue Oil

Latest posts

Back