Is Hot Processing too hot for delicate ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B00pie

Reaction score
As a newbie trying to decide whether to focus more on hot or cold process, I'm concerned about how hot hot process gets while cooking. I intend for my soaps to be predominately lard and/or tallow, with a couple other oils, such as castor, coconut and olive. I want to use many remedy-type herbs from my garden for my soaps. I also want to use milks, honeys, veggie purees and other food-based additives. I'm concerned hot process may be too hot for these delicate additives. But, I really like HP better:), as I am a rustic-gal. What do you think? Would HP kill all the good stuff I plan to make my soaps with?

I don't have a lot to share about HP. It's not my personal favorite method. I think, though, that whether it's too hot or not, the lye is likely to affect the benefits of those special, "delicate" ingredients. I will point out that soap only stays on skin for a moment or two before being washed off. I don't think you will experience many benefits, either way.

As a newbie trying to decide whether to focus more on hot or cold process, I'm concerned about how hot hot process gets while cooking. I intend for my soaps to be predominately lard and/or tallow, with a couple other oils, such as castor, coconut and olive. I want to use many remedy-type herbs from my garden for my soaps. I also want to use milks, honeys, veggie purees and other food-based additives. I'm concerned hot process may be too hot for these delicate additives. But, I really like HP better:), as I am a rustic-gal. What do you think? Would HP kill all the good stuff I plan to make my soaps with?
When using dairy with HP soap, I usually use full cream and add it at the end of the cook. It doesn't take a lot, about 1/8-1/4 cup. You would be surprised at how it smooths out the HP soap.

I don't have a lot to share about HP. It's not my personal favorite method. I think, though, that whether it's too hot or not, the lye is likely to affect the benefits of those special, "delicate" ingredients. I will point out that soap only stays on skin for a moment or two before being washed off. I don't think you will experience many benefits, either way.
Thanks for your input. I'm still doing research. I did find that herbs generally have a high flavonoid (antioxidant) content. And, most flavonoids are quite stable to alkali and heat, so they should be fine in the soap-making process. However, the vitamins are usually destroyed. Due to the skin feel of various soaps, I can't help but think though most ingredients do tend to go down the drain, some do remain. Should I ever grow into a soap-making business, I do think I'll keep the herbs if for nothing else than 'marketability.' Regarding purees, again, if for nothing else, they will help 'brand' my naturally-colored soaps. As an aside, I've always hated chemistry! I guess I'd better learn to embrace it. LOL

When using dairy with HP soap, I usually use full cream and add it at the end of the cook. It doesn't take a lot, about 1/8-1/4 cup. You would be surprised at how it smooths out the HP soap.
I've heard this by many people. Only they've suggested yogurt. I plan to do my first batch today. I am excited to try it out. When you say 1/8-1/4 cup, what size batch are you referring to? Since I'm still learning, I plan to only do small batches to fit my 1-pound mold, so as not to waste product. How much cream do you think? (Also, I think I might give buttermilk or sour cream a try at some point.)

As an aside, I've always hated chemistry! I guess I'd better learn to embrace it. LOL

I don't fuss with the chemistry, other than understanding that the reaction happens and what it does. You don't need to study chemistry to understand what saponification is and the calcs all manage the other parts.

I've heard this by many people. Only they've suggested yogurt. I plan to do my first batch today. I am excited to try it out. When you say 1/8-1/4 cup, what size batch are you referring to? Since I'm still learning, I plan to only do small batches to fit my 1-pound mold, so as not to waste product. How much cream do you think? (Also, I think I might give buttermilk or sour cream a try at some point.)
It depends on the size of the recipe. If it is a 2 lb. batch, then I would try 1/8 cup cream or enough water with powdered milk to make 1/8 cup.

Latest posts

Back