Using patchouli leaves

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanchingmaa

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice for using the leaves or ground leaves into a powder for a patchouli soap similar to the Zum patchouli bar? I just picked up 1lbs of dried leaves and really love the scent but assume the scent will only come from the EO.

You could infuse the Patchouli leaves in one of your soaping oils, or grind the leaves to a fine powder and use it as an additive or a natural colorant @ 1 Tbs ppo. You won't get much scent either way, but using the powdered leaves may render a little "earthy" scent.

How strong smelling are your leaves? I used some ground, this has been years ago, and it gave my soap a mild scent. I am not a patchouli fan so it was obvious to me. But my leaves were very strong smelling. So much so they scented everything they were stored with.

What about making a tea with the leaves to mix with the sodium hydroxide? Then adding ground leaves as well. I do this with some of my soaps.

Back