Using beer as your liquid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used Blueberry beer. It turned green when I added the lye and then to amber. Soap ended up a light beige color. It was very interesting to watch. Lol.

I used to make beer soap for parallel 49 here in vancouver. The easiest way to get rid of carbonation is to pour it through a coffee filter once or twice. Mine tended to volcano a tiny bit, but if you pour the lye in slowly then you should be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

For comparison purposes, here's a pic of my latest beer soap just after pouring and then after cutting. Beer was a dark amber color and I added indigo powder just to see how it would turn out. Didn't expect green but it is what it is . . . next time I will use a lighter beer when adding colors.

beer_soap.jpg

indigo_beer_soap.jpg

beer adds lather to your soap, due to the sugars and carbs found in it. some say it has conditioning properties as well. for me i find it adds to the lather , hard to say about condition properties since i SF at 7%.
be sure to get the carbonation out of the beer and the alcohol as well
What if the alcohol is not removed?

What if the alcohol is not removed?

removing alcohol from beer seems to be a choice, some consider it drying to the skin , and the alcohol may react just like if you use a FO that has a alcohol base in it , it can speed up trace, cause seizing, or ricing. what is consistent is the removing of carbon/ making that beer flat.

(good to see you sososo)

Thanks everyone! Pink Cupcake, I learned the hard way about the nasty mold at room temps. Was going to make the soap and when I checked on the beer it had a growth of nasty floating on top! Have to pick up some more beer. Right now I have the red wine to make wine soap.

Has anyone tried home brewed wine. I have several bottles an uncle gave me. It was way to sweet to drink but is a beautiful burgundy color.

I haven't tried wine yet but I am saving all the red wine I have opened and not drank for soap making! Even have some already cooked down in the fridge ready to go!.

wine soaps are nothing but label appeal to me. i've not seen and feel anything special from them. i would rather drink the wine.

For both beer and wine, I first burn off the alcohol by simmer them on the stove. Once cooled off, I put them in the freezer until I am ready to make the soap. They move fast due to the sugar content, so I get everything ready(mold & scent) when I am making alcohol soaps. Though beer soap will keep its own color(beige/tan) but the wine will lose burgundy color to tan for over a period of time.

Thanks all for the information. I haven't tried any alcohol in soap yet. Trying to learn all the possibilities first.

Latest posts

Back