Trying the Dutch Pour technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh... I see. Why not? You qualify and you're trying it.
I didn't quite qualify when it started and there was a bit of a thing around it, so I ended up having to sit this one out. Still having fun playing along, but can't officially be in until next month.

It doesn't matter if you qualify when the challenge starts; as long as you become qualified (and post an entry) before the entry thread closes, then you are eligible. You just can't post an entry of anything that has been posted in another thread.

It doesn't matter if you qualify when the challenge starts; as long as you become qualified (and post an entry) before the entry thread closes, then you are eligible. You just can't post an entry of anything that has been posted in another thread.
I believe this rule is changing, unfortunately! I did sign up originally but then I was asked to sit out for this month.
No worries though, there's always the next one.

I believe this rule is changing, unfortunately! I did sign up originally but then I was asked to sit out for this month.
No worries though, there's always the next one.
I’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully if the rules are changing, someone will make that clear to all of us so we know what to expect, and so we don’t misinform new people who want to join the challenge. @earlene can you clarify this for us? Or have an admin do so? Thanks!

Sorry, @Tara_H I put my foot in my mouth. I was not aware of some of the background with you not being able to enter this month's challenge. I'll explain a bit for other members and so that there is transparency between the challenge hosts and members.

A requirement of the challenges is to have a minimum of 50 posts. At the time of signup, Tara had 42. The challenge host corrected the signup list and reminded everyone of the rule. Other members suggested that Tara post to x, y and z threads to bring up her post count and be eligible for the challenge. This type of posting is what we call "fluff" posting, and we discourage it, as we want members to be contributing and learning within this forum - as well as sharing our adventures, misadventures, and achievements. The admins made the decision that Tara was not eligible for this month's challenge, but she will be for future challenges, and then edited the challenge thread to remove all relevant posts that encouraged fluff posting.

As challenge hosts, we rely on the admins to help guide us to keep the challenges fair, following the rules we [hosts] set for the challenges as well as the guidelines of the forum itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I think this will be my last attempt at this technique for a while! I've executed my vision to the best of my ability, I'm pretty happy with the result, and I've learned a hell of a lot along the way.

The scent is an outdoorsy but mild blend including rosemary, tea tree, eucalyptus and lime.

The design is inspired by the rocky and semi-wild landscape around our house.

The design and the slab are both a new attempt at a slow moving recipe, consisting of tallow, sunflower oil, and a bit of castor oil.

I was very happy with how the recipe behaved, even though the temperatures are still on the cool side here. I did warm the slab very slightly in advance, and used disposable coffee cups for a mildly insulating effect.

IMG_20210313_183319.jpg

When I unmoulded the slab, I kept the paper on this time, but trimmed it down to just give a very small lip, as a compromise between a tall edge and batter going everywhere.

As you can see, the pour was relaxed enough that I felt comfortable in pausing and taking photos 😄

IMG_20210313_183724.jpg IMG_20210313_183823.jpg

Added the soap pebbles I made a while back, for a bit of structure.
IMG_20210313_183927.jpg

Then I got engrossed in the blowing business! The batter being so much more liquid than the last time, the hairdryer had a completely different effect; low was too low to move anything, but high was so powerful I had to do it from quite far away and didn't have as much control as I would have liked. Some of the blowing I just bent over and used my mouth...

And here's the final result. It was just setting up and starting to gel in places (presumably due to the warmed slab) about the time I was finishing, so it's basically smooth apart from one or two tiny spots (and the pebbles!)
IMG_20210313_184645.jpg

I do wish it had slightly less of a child's drawing quality 😂 but other than that I think my Dutch pour urge has been satisfied for the time being.

Thanks Kim!

How does it resemble your inspiration? It reminds me of a flowing riverbank and is quite lovely.
It's not too far off; I was hoping for something a little more sweeping but it wanted to be more calm!

This is closer to what I had in mind, but an aerial view of a similar stream:
Screenshot_20210313-192641.png

Luckily the colours calmed down a lot over night; I took some shots this morning which are much closer to what I was going for:
IMG_20210314_102550.jpg IMG_20210314_102621.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to cut this monster! It's a foot on each side, almost 2kg of oils, and I didn't account for that requirement when I was placing the pebbles... 🤔

Luckily the colours calmed down a lot over night; I took some shots this morning which are much closer to what I was going for:
View attachment 55094 View attachment 55095

Now I just need to figure out how to cut this monster! It's a foot on each side, almost 2kg of oils, and I didn't account for that requirement when I was placing the pebbles... 🤔
it really does look like a pretty stream! :)

Latest posts

Back