Transporting soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any ingenious ideas about how to transport soap to and from several farmers markets weekly. I’ve been doing it by putting in totes and layering with tissue paper. But, if you know of some trays or other idea I’m all ears…. Probably taking between 50-75 bars

Any ingenious ideas about how to transport soap to and from several farmers markets weekly. I’ve been doing it by putting in totes and layering with tissue paper. But, if you know of some trays or other idea I’m all ears…. Probably taking between 50-75 bars
Hello,
I'm really into up cycling every day things and put those ideas into good use for different purposes from the original idea.
Yes, I'm crazy, but hey, 9 more and we can start a cult! ;)
It beats things going to the landfill.
Have I got ideas for you and then some. Others around here who do craft fairs and such. That need storage at home for curing or displays.
Speaking of displays, transporting your soaps. Here's an idea.
When you go shopping do you ever see an empty display box, those nice and sturdy ones on the shelves?
Ask the management if you can have them. They will probably say yes. The employees spend a lot of time having to break down boxes in the back to toss out in the trash. They don't want to.
If the boxes are good enough for shipping and handling, into store displays. You just got free stuff that your looking for.

Here's another. I think you'll enjoy her YouTube channel and her company.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAteIoBz0B0-NqrMPYV1ONQ

Munky.

@Wax Munky I love the Posh Paper Lady! So many fantastic ideas!

@Crazy Goat My friend who does shows and craft fairs packs a lot into her wooden crates, which are then used as display containers on her table. If you use the search function at the top of this page, you can find a lot of SMF threads with pictures showing and discussing craft fair displays, set-up, and transportation.

I bought some boxes like these:

Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 4.47.39 PM.png

Someone else mentioned them in the forums, and I think it was @Ford, but I may be wrong.

They work perfectly for storage in the house, as well as for transporting. I use the boxes for both scenarios.

The divided areas make it easy to keep one scent of soap separate from others as well, and they don't take up much room at all in the car. The lid keeps the soaps protected from sun coming into the car & also allows me to put my 'business bag' with all of my receipt books, order forms etc on top of it, so I can easily carry everything into shops when needed.

You can easily fit 75 ++ bars into one of these boxes. If need be, I put in a little bit of tissue paper or left over bubble wrap or whatever to keep bars of soap from moving around as I am driving or carrying the boxes.

It's an inexpensive solution which is very much multipurpose. The boxes are also very strong. I will be using them for years. They store very conveniently when full of soap on shelves, under sofas, whatever the case may be due to their shape & size.

The other nice thing about these boxes is, even if you buy 10 of them, they come flat packed, so they're easy to store under or behind something until you need them. Just put them together when required.

I really love them :)

Last edited:
They're called baseball card boxes (or at least the ones I used to use were). I need to buy some again, they are really convenient for storage once your planned curing period is done. I liked to let my bars cure for at least two to three months then put them in the boxes. Just looked at @dibbles' link, mine were just like that.

ETA: @Wax Munky and @AliOop, the Posh Paper Lady is awesome!

I made some cardboard dividers for plastic containers - I used to use 4x4x12 cardboard boxes that closed inside these same plastic containers but if I needed to get more soap out it was time consuming and fiddly. The dividers are not perfect but I have the soap facing up and they are either 4 or 5 bars high. Like this.
IMG_2759.jpeg
I just watched this video and if you have infinite time and patience these look very tidy and clever

I bought from a place which called them 'shoe boxes', which they clearly are *not* 😄

As @not_ally said, they are often called baseball card boxes, or even collectible card boxes. I even saw Walmart selling them online. They come in different configurations, up to 5 columns or sections, if I remember correctly.

I can see these lasting me a good, long while as they are very strong, very stable for stacking, can hold a lot of soap, are easy to carry. I have also found they help retain scent, oddly, as cardboard absorbs things, including scent. You would think this would cause scent from soaps to be lost, but I have found the opposite. And if you are using natural colorants, or any type of colorants which are prone to fading, they slow this process significantly as they block out all light.

Well worth the purchase! :)

I use the single style box for storage. I add a stick-on pocket for a business card on the outside to add a scent name label.
That’s a good idea. I have just been using post it notes, which eventually fall off.

ETA. And then play a fun game called I wonder what’s in here 🤪

I get the fruit boxes from our local grocery store for free. The ones they ship starwberries, etc. in. They work perfectly and, as i said, are free. They even stack.

I made some cardboard dividers for plastic containers - I used to use 4x4x12 cardboard boxes that closed inside these same plastic containers but if I needed to get more soap out it was time consuming and fiddly. The dividers are not perfect but I have the soap facing up and they are either 4 or 5 bars high. Like this.
View attachment 76617
I just watched this video and if you have infinite time and patience these look very tidy and clever

I love this. If needed, they can be redone to fit fancier soaps.

I'm currently using scrapbook paper containers. Their full weight is something I can easily handle but I do find they get dirty pretty easily because I have to lay some of the soap on their sides because they don't fit the fancy soap inside. The height isn't conducive. Which in turn can make my soap boxes messy looking. I've been looking for viable alternatives. I don't think the baseball card boxes would work for me.

I bought some boxes like these:

View attachment 76608

Someone else mentioned them in the forums, and I think it was @Ford, but I may be wrong.

They work perfectly for storage in the house, as well as for transporting. I use the boxes for both scenarios.

The divided areas make it easy to keep one scent of soap separate from others as well, and they don't take up much room at all in the car. The lid keeps the soaps protected from sun coming into the car & also allows me to put my 'business bag' with all of my receipt books, order forms etc on top of it, so I can easily carry everything into shops when needed.

You can easily fit 75 ++ bars into one of these boxes. If need be, I put in a little bit of tissue paper or left over bubble wrap or whatever to keep bars of soap from moving around as I am driving or carrying the boxes.

It's an inexpensive solution which is very much multipurpose. The boxes are also very strong. I will be using them for years. They store very conveniently when full of soap on shelves, under sofas, whatever the case may be due to their shape & size.

The other nice thing about these boxes is, even if you buy 10 of them, they come flat packed, so they're easy to store under or behind something until you need them. Just put them together when required.

I really love them :)
Thanks so much for this! I love em!

Latest posts

Back