curing soap in boxes during evacuation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
This is a general question about curing soap under "unusual circumstances." I live in Nova Scotia, where forest fires have been running wild for about a week now.
My family and i have been evacuated. So I grabbed a few boxes and packed up the soap that was made for a special church occasion. Most of it is fully cured, but some of it needs a few more weeks. I layered the soap between parchment paper and just crammed as much as I could into each box.
Has anyone ever had experience with curing soap in layers?
At the moment it is still in the boxes, in our vehicle. I would like to bring it inside and lay it out, if there is room, but I'm not sure that is possible.
Thought about putting rice in the boxes to help with the moisture.
And what about the scents mingling with each other? Hoping the parchment paper will prevent that.
Any ideas?

Hi, they should be ok for awhile. Maybe bring box inside and open lid. At least let air exchange. Rice or those silica packs that absorb water should help also. You have to do. What you have to in emergency. Good luck.
Thanks so much for your thoughts! I think I will do as you suggested and bring the boxes in, open lids etc....as long as the other people here don't mind the smell of several different EO's and fragrances floating around! I only had access to cardboard boxes...not plastic ones, so probably they aren't airtight. Which is what I want right now.
We got some rain today! No word on when people can go back home, but hopefully these fires will at least be dampened. We have been blessed and protected during this surreal experience...God is good! But so sad for those who have lost something. Some families have nothing left. I noticed you're from New Hampshire....is the smoke drifting towards you? Saw on the news that folks in Connecticut have been getting some of our smoke, and possibly ash. Thankfully, the fires won't jump across the ocean from NS to New England!
Anyway, I digress. Thanks again for your advice!

Hi, yes. We have been getting a little haze from the fires. Hopefully the cooler, wet weather will help. Small world, my dad's family is from New Canada. Up towards Bridgewater. Good luck.
Hey there! Wow, Bridgewater is only 1.5 hour drive from where i live! We go there often! You're half Canadian! And I'm half American. thankfully, Bridgewater has not been affected by the fires. Wishing you a great day!

Sending prayers to you and your community. ❤️
Hi Chaiat5! Thank you so much for your kind words and prayers! They mean so much to us. In fact, everyone here has been very kind, and you've all been a real blessing to me and my family. It is true what they say....any act of kindness, whether small or large, has a profound impact on the receiver. You may never realize in this lifetime just how much a simple smile can lift up a hurting soul. You are all precious to me for being "the uplifters"! Hugs to all of you.

Hi everyone! I just wanted to thank you all for your kind comments during the fires, and all the helpful advice. We are all fine, and back in our homes. There are some families a bit further away who have no home to return to. But the community support has been wonderful, and the prayers are so appreciated. So I just wanted to send hugs and many thanks to everyone who took the time to show they care. Such a lovely group of women and men!

Back