transparent soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aditya369

Reaction score
hi this is aditya, i have tried tranparent soap, when i pour it into the mold its fine but when its got cold is opaque,i have tried with two recipes both of them never worked
recipe1:
glycerin : 94.2g
ethanol : 232.8g
coconut oil: 138g
palmoil : 117g
NaOH : 72g
distillled water :153g
sugar :101.4g
distillled water : 78g
recipe2:
stearic acid : 113.4g
coconut oil : 283.5g
castor oil : 184.3g
distilled water : 191.4g
NaOH : 92.1g
ethanol : 205.5g
distilled water : 70.9g
granulated sugar ; 113.4g
glycerin : 113.4g
plz help me if any mistakes are there , and ur suggestions also to make my soap transparent

Do you have Failor's book on making transparents? What technique/method did you use? Cathy Miller's site has some good info on making transparent soap. Here's a link:

http://www.millersoap.com/glycerinsoap.html

Scroll down to Kristy's detailed tutorial. It's the best I've seen on line. I make transparent soap but my method is different from the norm and would take an enormous amount of time to write out, as I haven't made some in a good long while. I'm happy to help troubleshoot, but I would need more info than you have provided.

Also, I found this link to TOPH's ROSIN TRANSPARENT here:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=62228

Also... LSG’S PEARS TRANSPARENT SOAP DUPE

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=43252

Last edited:

Thank you for posting that, Aditaya. I've tried a few recipes for transparent soaps found on the internet and that's not one I am familiar with. My best advice is to ask the Curious Soapmaker for help because she is familiar with her recipe and is the best person to trouble shoot her process. Also, she recommends buying Catherine Failor's book -- good for trouble shooting batches on your own. My local library has it, so you may want to try that option at your own library.

I wish I could be more help... hopefully, topofmurrayhill will jump in with better advice.

Glad to see another Indian (from your name) . Are you sure you added palm and not palmolein? As they have diff SAP values I believe. I tried finding palm where I am from ( Hyderabad) and couldn't find any.

Millers soap site is the only place I found that had enough information to give me the confidence to try it. The detail is fantastic. I don't know if it's worked yet because mine is still cooking (and I just want my dinner!!) but if it doesn't work it's because I did something wrong, not because of the instructions.

Millers soap site is the only place I found that had enough information to give me the confidence to try it. The detail is fantastic. I don't know if it's worked yet because mine is still cooking (and I just want my dinner!!) but if it doesn't work it's because I did something wrong, not because of the instructions.
Hi Kelley,

By any chance, did you use Kristy's Instructions? (See my previous post on this thread) I agree, her detail is pretty darn awesome. We were both members of a small private forum during the time she was working on it. It was amazing when she shared her step-by-step method with our group. A lot of thought and Trial & Error went into it. And it shows. Be sure to cut your batches in half at first. And don't be in a hurry. It will take time to get the hang of it, but when you do, you'll be glad you did.

Hi Kelley,

By any chance, did you use Kristy's Instructions? (See my previous post on this thread) I agree, her detail is pretty darn awesome. We were both members of a small private forum during the time she was working on it. It was amazing when she shared her step-by-step method with our group. A lot of thought and Trial & Error went into it. And it shows. Be sure to cut your batches in half at first. And don't be in a hurry. It will take time to get the hang of it, but when you do, you'll be glad you did.
I used hers and Jeffs too. I found his instruction a little easier to follow. My finished soap was disappointing. It wasn't clear. More opaque but still a nice bubbly soap. I decided, the next day to try and fix it. I melted it down and added more sugar solution. My soap melted very easily and it came out completely transparent. I think maybe I rushed the final step in the original batch because I was tired. Now I'm wondering if it could be a good idea going forward. Make the batch up and leave out the sugar solution and then melt again when needed and finish the soap? However, I don't know if it was pure luck or even whether it only worked because it was within 24 hours of the original cook. I tried to do the soap scrap method from the site but it failed. I realized that it's likely to be because I rarely make a soap without kaolin clay so that's no good!
It's all pot luck for me. I just wish I knew when I get it right, why its right!

Latest posts

Back