My First Liquid Soap Adventure

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why I worded it the way I did, Zany. I qualified it by saying some can use it but it isn't recommended. The fact that the pH is too high is just that.... a fact. Not wanting to start an argument but just wanted to point out to a new liquid soapmaker that it isn't recommended even though some, like you, can and do use it without issues. This is not the place to get into this discussion. It's been written about many, many times and if the OP wants to look it up, she is more than welcome to delve into the fray. Just not here. And, incidentally, I grew up using soap based shampoos because it was cheap. My hair did not like it.... at all.
Before Alaiyna B (Faith) closed down the sales of her bath and body products, she was recommending and selling syndet shampoo bars. She also has this prominent warning on her blog:

As far as using liquid soap as shampoo - please note that not all hair types can handle high pH cleansers. High pH cleansers will lift the hair cuticle/shaft and all those tiny pieces of hair can get very tangled and damaged in the process as you massage and manipulate the lather throughout the hair. Lower pH conditioners can be used afterward to close the hair shaft but if you have damaged your hair, it will not reverse the damage. No, you cannot lower the pH of liquid soap to be neutral or acidic and closer to the pH of your hair and scalp.

incidentally, I grew up using soap based shampoos because it was cheap. My hair did not like it.... at all.
@Misschief No worries. What you wrote was fine. Thank you for making the effort. By the same token, my hair does not like Syndets... at all. That's why I think it's a real shame that Newbies who want to make natural shampoo rarely get the encouragement to try it.
The fact that the pH is too high is just that.... a fact.
As I recall, there was a member in a recent discussion who pointed out that the amount of water (pH 7) applied to the hair before shampooing dilutes the shampoo sufficiently so that it does no harm. Shampoo isn't a leave-on product but is only on the hair for a minute or two before rinsing. The real culprit of the "horror stories" that are passed around 3rd hand, to my mind at least, has more to do with not getting all the soap residue out completely. JMHO and in my experience.

@AliOop Thank you for that input. Good to know. There's no denying the popularity of syndets. But they're not for everyone. I only wish there was a way I could have been active on Faith's site to emphasize the importance of how best to prevent the build-up of soap scum on the hair and scalp when using a natural shampoo.

Granted, as with anything else, there will always be those who can't use natural shampoo and syndets are the way to go for them -- although I strongly feel I would just buy shampoo at the store instead of going to the expense of making a syndet. On a soapmaking forum, though, people should be allowed to pursue their dream of making their own shampoo as I do. It's a good thing and something I'm very proud of.

if you have damaged your hair, it will not reverse the damage.
It is good to remember that hair is dead. While you cannot reverse the damage, you can cut your hair into an attractive style while you wait for it to grow out -- shouldn't take too long and may be better than ever.

Thickening with salt water is a little tricky but easy once you get the hang of it. It is good for thickening 100% olive oil LS or similar. Generally speaking it does not thicken LS with coconut oil at 20% or higher, although there are exceptions.

There is more info about thickening LS on Alaiyna B's Blogspot linked above. My recommendation is to achieve a nice viscosity is by formulating with 50% coconut oil or PKO plus 50% liquid oils of choice, i.e., olive, almond, castor, etc.
I actually realized that i missed out the link that you had given me below in your previous reply, it's a nice source of knowledge for me to review before making a transparent soap;
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/what-to-expect-from-various-oils-in-ls.62864/
I'm in love with coconut oil, take it orally also, especially before my workouts at the gym but high percentage of coconut oil may become a little harsh for the other members of my family, especially my sister has a sensitive skin, she used roaccutane in the past due to her acne problems.

My superfat percentage was %5, is it too high ? Actually i'm a little confused about whether leaving some unsaponifiables by superfatting or not. I know that zero superfat means the best transparency.

Can i ask you all one more question, may be two :)

I order all the required stuff from an online store and they're selling a shower gel/shampoo base which ise Ecocert certified. Do you think the ingredients are clean ? Here is the list;
- Water (And)
- Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate (And)
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine (And)
- Sodium Methyl Oleoyl Taurate (And)
- Lauroyl Glucoside (And)
- Coco- Glucoside

My second question is about essence. They're selling an essence called ''Savage''. I think they imitated one of my favourite scent, ''Sauvage by Dior''. Can i add this essence to my soap which i'll use for shower gel purpose ? They also share the recipe, you just add some hot distilled water, glycerin, SCI, essence , and Xanthan Gum, that's all.

- Coco- Glucoside
These are ingredients for a syndet shampoo. You'll get more responses if you post it in either the Melt & Pour Forum or Bath and Body Forum. I used the "Report" button, (bottom left on your post) to call attention to Admin/Mods to move it for you. ;)

These are ingredients for a syndet shampoo. You'll get more responses if you post it in either the Melt & Pour Forum or Bath and Body Forum. I used the "Report" button, (bottom left on your post) to call attention to Admin/Mods to move it for you. ;)
No need to move; if you had said that the ingredients were clean, i might order but no need now.

Can i ask you all one more question, may be two :)

I order all the required stuff from an online store and they're selling a shower gel/shampoo base which ise Ecocert certified. Do you think the ingredients are clean ? Here is the list;
- Water (And)
- Coco- Glucoside

My second question is about essence. They're selling an essence called ''Savage''. I think they imitated one of my favourite scent, ''Sauvage by Dior''. Can i add this essence to my soap which i'll use for shower gel purpose ? They also share the recipe, you just add some hot distilled water, glycerin, SCI, essence , and Xanthan Gum, that's all.
Define clean. :)

By the way, i want to use Rosemary Extract to keep my soap clean and also vitamin E. I've just looked at the link that you shared on another subject previously;
https://classicbells.com/soap/ROE.asp
According to the information on the classicbells, i need to use around 0,5 gr Rosemary Extract per 1.000 gr of oils. Is it right ? But the problem is i can't be sure how much carnosic acid it contains. Here is the product specification;
Inci name: Water, Glycerin, Rosmarinus Officinalis Extract, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate
(Glicerin based, water soluble)

Can i use the above product as preservative ? I'm afraid i need an oil soluble extract.

Latest posts

Back