Tips for Facial Cleansing Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was really in a funk last night and soaping brightened my mood way better than any anti-depressant.
Isn't it great?! Soaping has dried many a tear from my eyes! Hang onto that thought. It will come in handy through the years.

On the subject of Sweet Almond Oil as a stand-alone ingredient, I once had a customer ask for SAO liquid shampoo. I had my doubts but went ahead with it. I was amazed at how well it turned out... cleansing, light lather, conditioning. It made a very nice liquid shampoo with no negative effects. The customer was pleased. I recommend it as a single-oil bar or LS without reservation. :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to reading more about your soapy adventures, Hope. Enjoy the journey. ;)

With the suggested oils here how does everyone get their bar hard. I ran a test recipe with suggestions here and the soap would come out very soft.

With the suggested oils here how does everyone get their bar hard. I ran a test recipe with suggestions here and the soap would come out very soft.
Any of the recipes here will create a decently hard bar of soap after cure. But I do not recommend 100% Sweet Almond Oil soap, it makes a lousy bar of soap. I find it drying and non-lathering even with a very long cure. It is a nice oil in soap around 20% but not much higher.

Did you actually try the recipes, or are you just looking at the hardness number in the soap calculator? Because a low hardness number doesn't necessarily mean the soap will be squishy or anything like that. My high-lard soaps show as lower on the hardness scale in the calculator, but are very firm to the touch in real life.

There's an oil cleansing method. I don't know if it's been discussed here or not. I made some many years ago and my husband, some friends, and myself all loved it.

I use my 50% lard recipe as a facial bar. 18% CO and then add your favorite liquid oils for the rest. I’m 48. I beg to differ if that makes me “mature.” 🤪 I just know that my skin feels good after cleansing.

Last edited:
There's an oil cleansing method. I don't know if it's been discussed here or not. I made some many years ago and my husband, some friends, and myself all loved it.
I used to wash my face with coconut oil. I only stopped when I started making soap and only then because I was testing recipes. But I still like how my skin feels “washing” it with coconut oil. Because it is water soluble, it rinses off very easily with a warm washcloth.

Latest posts

Back