Refining a Triple Butter Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a triple butter recipe that I like, but I don't exactly know what I'm looking for and hoped maybe you all could help me workshop it a little before I get carried away.

The first one I made was 24.6% Coconut Oil, 24.6% Olive Oil, 15.4% each Shea Butter, Mango Butter, and Cocoa Butter, and 4.6% Castor oil with 8% superfat. It made a nice hard bar, but it was a little too grippy for me, and ideally I'd like some fluffier bubbles. I've included a picture of the bars after cutting just for fun, it was my second soap ever!

I'm working on a new version, I want to drop the coconut and butters a little bit, and thought about adding some palm oil to help keep the bar from getting too soft after reducing all those hard elements.

Right now I'm looking at 25% olive oil, 20% coconut oil, 20% palm oil, 10% each on the butters, and 5% castor oil. Does this seem reasonable? I'm happy to hear any suggestions :)

Attachments

• IMG_5171.jpg
    IMG_5171.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 0
The soap is pretty, really great for your second time. What does "grippy" mean?

The new recipe looks good, too. One question, what is your SF on this one? I would think dropping it to between 3-5 % would also help with lather (and your pipes/will help reduce soap scum if you don't use a chelator.)

The soap is pretty, really great for your second time. What does "grippy" mean?

The new recipe looks good, too. One question, what is your SF on this one? I would think dropping it to between 3-5 % would also help with lather (and your pipes/will help reduce soap scum if you don't use a chelator.)
Thank you :) I had thought to leave the SF at 8% but for no real reason, I do everything else at 5% so it makes sense to drop it. I've used citric acid for soap scum once before but that soap is still curing so I don't know how I feel about it yet,

By grippy I just mean it doesn't slide across my skin as easily as some of my other soap, it kind of gets stuck to me. I run them up and down my arm to test how they feel, and it's not a smooth movement with v1.

I reckon reducing your super fat will help with the grippy problem, and also promote more bubbles. Why not try the same recipe with a few tweaks before including the palm?
20% CO
24%OO
17% each butter
5% castor oil
2 % super fat.
Oh I've yet to do a soap with a super fat so low, I'll give it a go. Thank you!

Your recipe is very close to mine. I use a 5% SF, I have hard water, and am very outdoorsy, so I like a little conditioning left on my skin after a shower. I add sugar to my lye water for bubbles, and kaolin clay to help with the grabbiness.

ETA your soap is very very VERY pretty! Well done!

Last edited:
Your recipe is very close to mine. I use a 5% SF, I have hard water, and am very outdoorsy, so I like a little conditioning left on my skin after a shower. I add sugar to my lye water for bubbles, and kaolin clay to help with the grabbiness.

ETA your soap is very very VERY pretty! Well done!
Thank you :) When I made this one I didn't know about kaolin clay and sugar yet, those are both very good ideas for the next version I do of this one! I think between adding those and dropping the SF a little I'd get something more like what I want. I'll have to bump this a little higher on my to-try list.

Latest posts

Back