tinglingclean

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinglingclean

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with homemade soap and the drain in the bathroom sink.
I have had to plunge the sink, after several episodes of drain cleaner, and there appears to be a gunky substance come out.
I would appreciate hearing if this is a problem for anyone else.

thanks

I am not sure when you are having trouble. I never empty my clean- up water from soap making down the drain. It goes on our gravel driveway

Yes, my bathroom sink gets sluggish. It runs better with hot water when this happens. I have a granulated drain cleaner I use when it starts to happen. It cleans it out in one usage. Heck, I should just use my lye!

I am not sure when you are having trouble. I never empty my clean- up water from soap making down the drain. It goes on our gravel driveway
Thanks for the reply.
I always wait 24 hrs. to wash up the utensils after making soap, and never use the bathroom sink, I was assuming it was hand washing with handmade soap that was causing the problem. we have very hot water which I run down the drain, but that doesn't seem to help.
I do notice a scum that forms on the tub and sink, which I didn't notice when I bought soaps, so figured it continued down the drain.

I guess it is time to call a plumber.

Thanks again Happy New Year

Yes, my bathroom sink gets sluggish. It runs better with hot water when this happens. I have a granulated drain cleaner I use when it starts to happen. It cleans it out in one usage. Heck, I should just use my lye!

Hey, never thought to use lye, good old fashioned method.
I will give it a try.

There's definitely more soap gunk with hand made soaps than store bought. My Mister is actually concerned about using my soaps in our boat lest it funks up the plumbing there.

Back