thickness of wood

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
I ordered 2 liners from Nurture and a friend is going to make the molds for them. how thick should the wood be?

I am assuming the thicker the boards the more it will hold the heat? I have only used pvc pipe, plastic mold and milk cartons so far

Yes.
But I consider "full water" to be 2 parts water to 1 part alkali (33%) so gel temperature would be higher than is usual in most all my recipes.
Less water means that the gel phase is only available to the soap at higher temperatures. If I want to gel I will cover the mold with a 1x6 and place it in the oven.

Yes.
But I consider "full water" to be 2 parts water to 1 part alkali (33%) so gel temperature would be higher than is usual in most all my recipes.
Less water means that the gel phase is only available to the soap at higher temperatures. If I want to gel I will cover the mold with a 1x6 and place it in the oven.
Thicker will also mean heavier. I made a massive mould and used wood which is far too thick. The weight of the mould itself is unwieldy, before the 10+kg batter goes in, too.

definitely something to keep in mind--at this point I do 2-3# molds. but then again the higher weight might cause more pressure on the sides causing bowing?

Western cedar would be fine - that's the cedar that's often sold for making decks and suchlike. Pine, fir, or spruce wood is about as light, usually easier to find, and often less expensive. It's more important that the wood be straight and smooth with few knots.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back