There MUST be a better way to clean up after CP making ??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit of Citric Acid in the dishwasher made ALL my stuff SUPER clean. My glasses looked like someone polished them :eek:
This is was Soaping stuff, just regular dishes.
We sometimes get that "wet dog" smell on stuff so I tried the CA. I think it is the eggs and Milk but DD says no... I think she is wrong

I do like may others, I don't have extra space so I wash everything after each batch or two. As I soap in my kitchen. I scrape and wipe as much out as possible then use blue dawn and hot water, let it soak for a few then wash and start over.

Same here. I typically do 5-6 batches at a time as I only get to soap on the weekends. I wash after each batch and start again. I do use dawn which seems to do a pretty good job cutting the grease but I think I’ll start using the alcohol trick, that sounds like it would really help.

Let me give you my recipe that gets that stubborn film off after you’ve washed. In a quart container combine 1/2 cup blue Dawn, 1/2 cup isopropyl alcohol, and one level teaspoon trisodium phosphate, TSP. Fill the rest of the container with water. Put that in a spray bottle and use it on surfaces with a greasy film. I it to clean all my Tallow rendering equipment.

I also don't have a sink plug.

I'm gonna try the dishwasher tomorrow with the CA and see how it goes.

I may go buy the big plastic measure cups so I can do up to 5, (2#) batches at a time, then it will be easier and all cleaning them at once. I was washing then doing another batch but was taking all day to do 2 batches

what's wrong with a little film on a ss soaping pot?
Nothing is really "wrong" with it, but if it's what you mix your lye solution with, that little bit of residue can start to saponify. And most people just like working with super clean dishes.
Oh and I think blue dawn maybe because that's the original formula and has the best grease cutting? IDK - I've only ever used blue dawn, and only knew of green being a different color for it. :shrugs: I don't think it matters...

I HATE the green and other scents. I am not even thrilled with the Blue but it DOES cut the grease better then the Green colored one.

My Lye/Water mix container is ONLY for that just for that reason of no other residue .

I scrape off all the batter I can, then stack my dishes in a dedicated bucket and wait a day or two.
I then hand wash everything in dedicated soft tubs with scalding water and detergent until no greasiness or smell remains, double rinse and dry on the dedicated rack.
I have made my Laundry Tub my dedicated wash up area. The hand laundry gets done in the bathtub :)
I am a bit strict on the hygiene.

...what's wrong with a little film on a ss soaping pot?....

There are anecdotes reported by reputable soap makers that residues left on the surfaces of silicone molds can trigger rancidity. So it's plausible that residues in the soap pot might do the same. I can't absolutely say this is true, but cleaning a soap pot is a simple task, so why take chances?

There are anecdotes reported by reputable soap makers that residues left on the surfaces of silicone molds can trigger rancidity. So it's plausible that residues in the soap pot might do the same. I can't absolutely say this is true, but cleaning a soap pot is a simple task, so why take chances?
I wash mine with Dawn (pink) and they are sparkling clean. My niece who also makes soap never washes hers with anything but plain water so I was just wondering if there was something that might happen because of that.

My DIL hates the smell of blue Dawn. She says it smells like a hedgehog! (Because that's what they use to wash hedgehogs at the shelter where she volunteers.)

TSP is sold in hardware stores and places where you can buy paint. My parents always used it when cleaning the walls before painting. My mom was a heavy smoker, and the TSP got the nicotine off the walls quite well. After dry, they painted. They did this yearly when I was growing up.

I'm in the lazy, er efficient crowd. I wipe out what I can, chunk dirty dishes in a big orange multi-gallon container from Home Depot, put a lid on it, and forget about it for a few days. Then I tetris-stack the dishes in my sink, squirt with a little dawn, spray with really hot water, and walk away for 30 minutes or so. The soap dishes practically clean themselves.

Balms on the other hand.... Oh how I loathe cleaning balm dishes...

I'm in the lazy, er efficient crowd. I wipe out what I can, chunk dirty dishes in a big orange multi-gallon container from Home Depot, put a lid on it, and forget about it for a few days. Then I tetris-stack the dishes in my sink, squirt with a little dawn, spray with really hot water, and walk away for 30 minutes or so. The soap dishes practically clean themselves.

Balms on the other hand.... Oh how I loathe cleaning balm dishes...

Tetris-stack is a good way to describe it.

I love it when I learn something new, not sure why I never spritzed oily buckets with alcohol. I am certainly going to try it when I return home and see it the oil goes away. We are never to old to learn.^^^ yes, the red label

Does anyone know if OxiClean will help? I know we used to use it on the boat to cut fish blood and slime. It worked well for that, not do not know if it would help with oil. It took all the blood out of the carpet from my step dads bad fall a few weeks ago. It was there for 2 weeks since my sister did not clean it up. OxiClean took it all out.

Last edited:
OxiClean is peroxide based which interacts with blood (and cat urine).

I keep a ton of peroxide around because of the cats (thankfully don’t have to use it often), it’s be nice to be able to us extra cleaning products for the extra oily soaping stuff. I’ll probably start using the alcohol trick soon. I use Ajax because it’s the only dish soap scent that doesn’t smell like perfume to me. (I find it’s a very weird trend to put gain flower scents in everything now)

Back