There MUST be a better way to clean up after CP making ??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
I am wasting a TON of hot water washing the stuff after making CP in the kitchen sink. And sometimes they are still Oily ! I use a BUNCH of soap too. It is usually just the melting pot I use but still.

Tell me there is a better way of doing this ??

Maybe someone has a Trick ? Please ?

I only have a kitchen sink, no basement one or outside one. Was told NOT to use the dishwasher...

I wipe everything out with old bed sheets that I cut into rags. I throw the rags in a box under my work table and when the box is full I throw in the washer with a tablespoon of detergent. My dishes then go into the sink in hot water and lots of Dawn blue. Occasionally I might have a oily residue after that, so I spritz it with rubbing alcohol and wipe off. Seems to work.

First, I use my silicone spatulas to scrape as much batter as humanly possible into the soap mold. My equipment is usually very clean by this time.
Then I do what amd does -
I wipe everything out with old bed sheets that I cut into rags. I throw the rags in a box under my work table and when the box is full I throw in the washer

I also then wait at least a day (usually it's a week since I only soap on weekends and have a dedicated area) then wash by hand. If they are still a little oily (which is rare) I throw them in the dishwasher. Works great.
Never thought about using rubbing alcohol. I will try that next time!

I wipe everything out with a microfiber cloth, let it sit for a day (or multiple), and then run everything through the dishwasher set to hot. I also use a Lemi Shine to get all the film off everything.

I just chuck the cloth into the laundry with the next load of towels.

I am ocd about anything pertaining to dirty dishes in my kitchen, I even wash all soaping utensils including my soaping buckets between batches. I also squeegie out every bit I can then wipe out with rags. I use dish detergent mixed with degreaser to wash everything. My buckets always feel a bit oily but they are for soaping so I do not stress it

OMG TY ! I thought i was doing something Highly wrong since i still had some slip on the stuff... oil.
I have a tiny kitchen and no counter space.

I do squeegie out most of the batter and sometimes wipe it out. But i hate to waste the paper towels. I am going to go cut up an old sheet set ;)

Wait, 2 things.... I can do more then one batch in the mix bucket? I guess I could if I wipe it out, didn't think of that ! And I have 2 Stick blenders !!
AND... can I really put them in the dishwasher ? I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't do that ?

I am so used to doing HP and the clean up is a breeze.

TY all , I thought I was going to get all sorts of Eye rolls for this question :rolleyes:

AND... can I really put them in the dishwasher ? I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't do that ?

It might depend on how picky your husband is too... mine won't let soapy stuff in the dishwasher, even if I've handwashed it first. :p

You shouldn't put soap in the dishwasher b/c it bubbles and your dishwasher isn't meant to handle that. One time, I made peppermint soap and swirled it white and red. I got lazy with wipe down and put everything in the dishwasher. 20 minutes later, pink peppermint foam is spewing from the bottom of the dishwasher. It looked like my dishwasher had rabies. I figured since the dishwasher was already full of suds, might as well let it finish. I just mopped the kitchen every 10 minutes or so until it was done. My kitchen smelled AMAZING and it got rid of my sugar ant problem!

But I don't recommend it.

No Hubby here so I can do as I please (except I have a teenager here :( )

I may just try to wipe it all out and do it that way. Off to the Linen closet

I don't really have room in the kitchen for soapy dishes to sit around either so I put them outside in a big Rubbermaid tub.
Gets them out of the way and keeps them safely away from stray animals.

I don't mind my bowls or buckets being slightly oily but I like my spatulas and silicone molds clean so they go in the dishwasher every few uses.

It seems that I do a combo of everything listed. I wipe everything down with paper towels or rags, wait 24-48 hours (I have a tote that I can store my utensils & such in until I'm ready) and then wash everything. When possible, I use Dawn or, if my soaping rags are particularly soapy, I'll use them to wash my equipment.
Almost forgot, I spritz everything with rubbing alcohol & allow it to air dry before soaping.

Last edited:
OMG so much better then piling in the sink.
Scraped then wiped with a rag, put in a box, did another batch, repeat, another batch, repeat. Stacked them all together since they all match, 3pitchers, 3 smaller measure cups, 6 glass small bowls for scent.
Looks all nice and neat and tucked in a box.
5 batches today so I should be good for a bit and wash tomorrow night.

TY all. And the Spray with Alcohol is a nice trick !
I spilled OO on the table, paper towel to get it up then spray with Alcohol, GONE ! sweet ;)

I do all of the above, plus a bit more. I squeegee to get as much as possible out. I wipe with leftover paper, to get any oily residue out, when super oily after a few wipe downs, I spray with 70% rubbing alcohol because it effectively cuts grease, I wipe it again. Then I add dishwashing liquid (I use a cheap brand I buy from Sam's Club) and start adding the smaller items into it as I do the same with them. When the bowl is as efficiently full of soaping items, I fill it all with hot tap water before carefully carrying all that to the shower down the hall. I place the full bowls of soapy soaping dishes on the floor of the shower and close the shower door. They stay there overnight, or even a few days when I have forgotten about them once or twice. Then I wash them in the sink and let them air dry in the dish rack.

I know not everyone has a spare shower that they can store their soapy dishes in. My brother keeps a dishpan under his kitchen sink and stores dirty dishes there until it is full and then he washed the dishes. (But he doesn't make soap.) Both of us apparently have a 'thing' about dirty dishes in the sink. We don't tolerate them sitting in the sink for long. My other brothers, I am not so sure how they respond to sinksful of dirty dishes, but when I visit they know I will wash dirty dishes if they are in the sink. It's just the way I am. It's a good thing my husband feels the same way because otherwise, we'd probably fight over dirty dishes. :rolleyes:

I toss my soapy towels and cloths into a small bucket, where they sit for only a day or two before I wash them with a load of laundry such as towels, sheets, socks or whatever (not with our good clothes, though). Since I try to do a load of laundry at least once every day, none of it sits around for long.

I do like may others, I don't have extra space so I wash everything after each batch or two. As I soap in my kitchen. I scrape and wipe as much out as possible then use blue dawn and hot water, let it soak for a few then wash and start over.

I would not put oils utensils in a dishwasher, but that is just me. There is residue that will get in the dishwasher
This is my experience. If I just wipe down and toss in the washer, I end up with cloudy dishes.

This is why I use the Lemi Shine.

Granted I also only do 'soaping' loads in the dishwasher too. I try not to wash them with pots I cook in or dishes that I eat off of.

Latest posts

Back