The Solution to Eliminate Ash

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c0ntrite

Reaction score
Ok, I've learned a lot through this forum and thought I'd share my findings with regards to ash. This has been tested and proven.

So what is ash? Ash is the white layer on top of your soap as it cures on the mold.

So what is the cause of ash? Before I thought you need to seal tight your mold to prevent ash. It helped but it didn't eliminate it. Then I was wondering why just the top portion of the soap? What goes up and makes ash? :idea: BUBBLES / AIR.

I have TOTALLY eliminated ASH by making sure my stick blender doesn't have air at the bottom when I start mixing. What AIR am I talking about? Just imagine you put a glass with its mouth facing the bottom, you submerge it on a bucket of water. What do you see on top of the glass? Air, so how do you eliminate air under the stick blender? Simply tilt is a few degrees as you submerge it, then shake the stick blender to release the remaining air then start mixing. Making sure that you don't expose the bottom part of the stick blender while you mix.

Tips:
If you are going to check for trace, don't lift your stick blender up. The only time you lift or expose the bottom part of your stick blender is when you're done. NEVER check trace using your stick blender, use another stick or spoon.

I would love to share some photos of my ash-less soaps but I just don't have the time now. I'll try to post some pics some other time.

I have other things I would like to share, but I just don't have the time to write them all down. Till then.

EDIT: I stopped covering my molds since I skip gel phase but I still get ash-less soaps :wink:

I mostly (carefully and slowly) hand-stir my soaps, since I soap pretty warm and with a relatively high lye concentration, and still I get ash sometimes.

I'm glad it works for you, but sadly it won't fix mine.

Won't fix mine, either. I press freezer paper onto the top. Don't peel it off for a couple of days. That seems to stop it. And I thought I read somewhere (Natural Soapmaking?) that it's not really ash or soda like people think, but just "dried" soap? Anyone else remember reading that anywhere? I think the author had it tested by a chemist. Is this true?

Soaplady22 said:
Do you spray the alcohol on top after pouring or after the soap is out of the mold??
Thanks ~

I spray mine after pouring. Then I put in the oven to gel. When gelled I spray again and then again in 10 minutes or so.

Thank you, griffin. I'm going to try this - My last soap got that light covering of whitish soap/ash so am going to make it again and spray it this time. Got some 92% rubbing alcohol so I'm all ready.

I don't know if this is a good thing to do...but after I pour into my molds..I cover with saran wrap for 24 hours....and I have not had any ash (knock on wood).

:lol: :lol: ....ash....knock on wood....that's a good one! It just dawned on me that the alcohol spray would be nice for textured soaps. So I'm wondering...does the alcohol affect things like dustings of mica or body glitter?

Back