Soft soap -sticky when unmolding

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy2018

Reaction score
Hi,

The black one is charcoal, the other basic, no EO no FO

They have been sitting in the molds for 48 hours, 2 days, and tired to unmold them.
You can see sticky and softness.

Both Lye and oil was at 54 C and 55 C when I mixed.

Also I do realize there is air bubbles, I thought my stick blender was fine. No, I found the article here about stick blenders and ordered a new one.

Do anyone have any idea of why it is still sticky after 2 days?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8575.JPG
    IMG_8575.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8578.JPG
    IMG_8578.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Hi,

5 % superfat
30% water
tallow 53%
coconut oil 23.50 %
soy oil 23.50

Will it still harden up, but take longer?

Thanks!

I have no experience with animal oils.
What are your molds made out of? If they are clear plastic molds, they work better for melt and pour soap. I mutilate my cold process soap trying to get out of those molds. You can also line the mold first with vaseline.
I also use sodium lactate which can speed up unmolding. I am at the high end and use 3% of total oil weight. I unmold from silicon molds after 24 hours.
Good luck.

They are silicone molds,

I was watching a video, I think Bramleberry??? And it was talking about water percentage, and said that most soap calculators have a standard at 38 % and that is too high but is better for 30 % but one could go lower.

I did wonder if I have too much water, do you have any experience with a lower water percentage?

It never occurred to me it could have been the oils. Until Blufuz said mentioned it.

Thanks

Last edited:
I think a high amount of water also means it takes longer to unmold, but it also depends on which oils. My experience has been patchy; high olive oil soaps took forever to unmold, coconut oil was really quick, then I did an experiment with 100% sunflower and various additives, and somehow the beeswax actually took the longest to unmold. I noticed that some soaps that came to trace really quickly, especially ones that I ended up having as a thick trace, were quick to unmold. I’m still working it out, but the more details you provide, the more somone here might have an idea 😅

30% water is fine. Individual silicone molds always take a long time to harden up. There's less soap so less heat with no insulation. It typically takes 4-7 days for mine, depending on the intricacy of the design, while the loaf will be ready in 24-36 hours.

Thanks for the reply on the water.

Wow, 4- 7 days,

I had no idea.

I greatly appreciated your replying.

Do anyone have any idea of why it is still sticky after 2 days?
How's your weather? You're also using individual molds and so there isn't a lot of heat being generated during the saponification process. I made a bunch of 2oz wedding soaps last May...I had a whole batch get ruined and I waited two days to unmold. We had a lot of unseasonable wet, cool whether which affected my soaps. I increased my Lye Concentration from 33% to 35% which meant using less water. I doubled the amount of Sodium Lactate and I brought them into the kitchen and let them sit for a week.

Oh,
I mean, I never even thought of weather, we have had an unusually run of rain for the last week , week and a half.

Thank you so much for replying.

Latest posts

Back