Stick blender questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janis James

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a couple of questions regarding stick blenders. At what speed do you generally blend your soaps...medium or fast? Also about how long does it take for you to achieve light trace? I make cold processed goat milk soap no added water and pour into Milky Way individual molds and their tray molds. Thanks in advance. Happy soaping!

What do you mean by no water added?

I would certainly start with the lowest setting and only do 2-3 second bursts at a time. It’s very easy to over do it. I blend to get to emulsion and that’s it. I’m rarely using my stick blender these days. I’ll hand stir until emulsion unless I’m tired or it is my swirl recipe.

What do you mean by no water added?

I would certainly start with the lowest setting and only do 2-3 second bursts at a time. It’s very easy to over do it. I blend to get to emulsion and that’s it. I’m rarely using my stick blender these days. I’ll hand stir until emulsion unless I’m tired or it is my swirl recipe.
I mean all goat milk as liquid. No water added to goat milk. Some goat milk soap recipes have goat milk and water

It depends how big your batch is. If you are making a smallish (1kg of oils) batch, I would do as @AliensrReal has said. Lowest setting, 2-3 second bursts while 'stirring' the mix. Overall about 2 minutes of this will be enough to emulsify your oils and milk. It will depend on the types of oils/fats you are using as some will emulsify faster than others. But it's not like on the you tube videos where they mix for what seems like 5 - 10 minutes.

It depends how big your batch is. If you are making a smallish (1kg of oils) batch, I would do as @AliensrReal has said. Lowest setting, 2-3 second bursts while 'stirring' the mix. Overall about 2 minutes of this will be enough to emulsify your oils and milk. It will depend on the types of oils/fats you are using as some will emulsify faster than others. But it's not like on the you tube videos where they mix for what seems like 5 - 10 minutes.
I do a 3 lb batch at a time.

Ditto to all the above. My stick blender likes to bring out its spoon side most of the time with the rare 3-second burst. I stir for like 3 minutes to emulsion or light trace.

Agreed re the deep vs. shallow bell of the stick blender! I have one SB that just annihilates everything in its path with one pulse because it has a deeper bell. I just realized this was the reason. BTW, even though I feel like I have been doing this for a while, I'm so glad you asked this question and I am so glad to hear the answers.

Interesting about the bell shape. I have an old Braun SB that I have been using since I started soaping. It takes quite a while for my recipes to get to trace. I figured it was my recipe which is 55% lard, 20% coconut, 20% olive and 5% castor. Now I’m thinking it’s my stick blender. That’s actually quite comforting.

Latest posts

Back