Temperature pointer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sexymess

Reaction score
My Dh says his temp. Pointer has different settings and oil isn't one of them. Is this going to be a good investment for me. And no I haven't tryed out his. He is very particular about his tools :roll::roll::roll:

For cp soaps? I use the hand technique. Using cheap stainless steel bowls from Walmart, I heat my oils directly on a low stove setting, and I mix lye into water (in the smaller bowl) in my sink. Once oils melt, I remove from heat. Once the lye bowl cools to the touch on the outside, and the oils bowl cools down a lot to the touch (slightly luke warm, oils still fluid), I begin. You can buy fancy thermometers, but I see it as a costly investment (for me anyway), and it really isn't necessary (for me at least) imo.

Edit: on your husband being a tad particular on his tools, aren't they all lol?!

For cp soaps? I use the hand technique. Using cheap stainless steel bowls from Walmart, I heat my oils directly on a low stove setting, and I mix lye into water (in the smaller bowl) in my sink. Once oils melt, I remove from heat. Once the lye bowl cools to the touch on the outside, and the oils bowl cools down a lot to the touch (slightly luke warm, oils still fluid), I begin. You can buy fancy thermometers, but I see it as a costly investment (for me anyway), and it really isn't necessary (for me at least) imo.

Edit: on your husband being a tad particular on his tools, aren't they all lol?!

Yes, yes we are :mrgreen:

Mine doesn't have settings. I think it was about $20. I used to pooh-pooh them as well...till I tried it. It is extremely helpful for lotion making. When you are making the lotion, the mix has to be below a certain temp or it will deactivate the preservative. But you want it to be as close to that temp as possible so it remains a thin liquid as long as possible, so you have time to pour.

I check the temps of my lye when I soap mostly. I usually do this when I first make the lye. When I see the temps start to fall, I know that it is fully mixed and it's safe to breath.

I use my hands. When the bowl is just warm to the touch, it is time to soap. I masterbatch my lyes, so they are room temperature already.

Those IR thermometers are very useful around the house, though. I paid $10 for mine at Lowe's when they had a sale, so your hubby can have his, and you can have yours. $10 is cheap enough for marital harmony.

Not only men are particular about tools, though I understand them being VERY particular about one. I am very picky about mine being put back where they came from. I have my own tool box, and get perturbed if something is missing when I need it.

I use my hands. When the bowl is just warm to the touch, it is time to soap. I masterbatch my lyes, so they are room temperature already.

Those IR thermometers are very useful around the house, though. I paid $10 for mine at Lowe's when they had a sale, so your hubby can have his, and you can have yours. $10 is cheap enough for marital harmony.

Not only men are particular about tools, though I understand them being VERY particular about one. I am very picky about mine being put back where they came from. I have my own tool box, and get perturbed if something is missing when I need it.

Love it!! Yes that one tool!! Haha

Back