swirling..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteyfoozer

Reaction score
ok, i have read books, watched videos..my color will NOT go below the surface of the soap. I'm using the oxides from MMS and mixing with glycerin, then mixiing into some of the oils before adding. I can color a whole batch in the pot, but when i try to swirl in the mold, it just stays on top! What am i doing wrong? Do i need a really shallow mold? mine are 3"deep x 4" wide :shock:

I have this problem sometimes too. I think it helps to have a thinner trace and to pour your color from WAY up high.

I'm now okay with CP swirls but there are far better
people in this Forum at it cause I don't do CP usually.

However - For what it's worth....

For CP swirls - With Oxides I tend to disperse them with a little bit of
Castor Oil mixed with a frother then add the soap at emulsified stage
not yet the light trace.I also let the base soap in the mold be only at this
lightest emulsification

To me thinner Emulsification of the soap = the better

Then when i have a pyrex cup full of the colored batter I
pour from VERY high up in order for it to sink below the surface better.

I would say that my best swirls are in a slab mold vs a loaf mold.
Yes, that means shallower mold and the swirls make it all the
way through. Loaf Molds take more effort to get it all the way through
imho.

I have the same prob, I may try that 1/2 soap, swirl. Ive kinda given up, i swirl on top, or when I do hp I get some nice lines that look cool.

Personally I find in the pot sooooooo much easier but if swirling in the mold I think it is really handy to know your recipe well and yes thinnish trace and pour from on high :0). Three years and I still dont have a swirl guarantee :0)

well i can say thank you you ladies have redeemed me as i am not the only one having trouble. thanks for the tips, i am going to persevere!!!It all looked so easy on video and book! Onward and upward! :roll:

Swirling is a big problem for me. I tried in the pot, on top, pouring in layers...just forget it, I am leaning toward solid colors now..LOL

I swirl by preparing a double batch.

2 x 54 lb batches. If you color by steeping in the oil, or by steeping the lye, then you are forced to go with 1 to 1 (one batch uncolored, one batch colored).

Keep the two mold blocks on a short platform, basically right on the floor.

Half of the uncolored into each of the two molds.

Next, the colored batch, pour from between waist high to chest high, to fill up the two molds. Wander your drop, and enough impact speed to penetrate all the way to the bottom, 12 inches deep.

I swirl with a cut-out paddle stick with switch-back curves, usually 7 by 5.

If you color with a last-added colorant rather, then it's easier!

You can pour your first uncolored batch half into each mold.

Then pour about half of the second batch, still uncolored, so say, now each of the two molds is 3/4 full.

Now add the colorant to the remainder of the 2nd batch. (Mix it in with your electric mixer.)

Do your remaining pour now, wander your pour, and top off each mold.

For this 2nd way, the ratio is 1:2 or 1:3 or 1:4, you pick (less color). Swirl now with the paddle stick in each mold with 5 by 7 switch-back curves. The pattern looks better this way over 1:1 methinks. Avoid the solid-color core. :D

I cut a swirled double-batch into logs and then into bars for visitors on mini-tours in our store Saturday. They got to see some of them before I looked. The logs came out nice. The bars came out nice. :p

I had problems doing it the way that some of the tutorials said too, it seemed like all it would do is swirl the top and not the bottom, that is nice IF that is what you want to do. I did in the pot swirl like the tutorial that cwarren put up and it works, sometimes I even put several colors in and that is really nice.

Lyn said:
Personally I find in the pot sooooooo much easier but if swirling in the mold I think it is really handy to know your recipe well and yes thinnish trace and pour from on high :0). Three years and I still dont have a swirl guarantee :0)

lynzz, your soaps are totally gorgeous, i love how you've mounded them in the molds. really, really, really pretty!!

Latest posts

Back