sugar scrub stability

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using "Microkill" (Phenoxyethanol, Capyryl Glycol, Chlorphenesin) and the usage recommendation is 0.75-1.5%.

I am not sure how much preservative you thought there would be in a product, but usually they are around the 1% mark. Considering Microkill is made up of 3 different ingredients, Phenoxyethanol will be around 0.3% of the product. I am not sure how much of a skin irritant it could be at that kind of concentration. Of course if you put it on your skin neatly or feed it to the cat you could have some problems. But if you think about it, if you put Peppermint Oil neat on the skin it is also a skin irritant.

I know you will, Jessica, but please be sure to use the preservative at the level recommended for your product. Preservatives are not necessarily additive -

madpiano said:
I am using "Microkill" (Phenoxyethanol, Capyryl Glycol, Chlorphenesin) and the usage recommendation is 0.75-1.5%.

I am not sure how much preservative you thought there would be in a product, but usually they are around the 1% mark. Considering Microkill is made up of 3 different ingredients, Phenoxyethanol will be around 0.3% of the product. I am not sure how much of a skin irritant it could be at that kind of concentration. Of course if you put it on your skin neatly or feed it to the cat you could have some problems. But if you think about it, if you put Peppermint Oil neat on the skin it is also a skin irritant.

good point...

I made a scrub before using coarse granulated brown sugar and almond oil... it lasted ages and smelled yummy! As long as the oil is covering the sugar I think it is ok!

http://www.letsgetsoapy.co.uk for amazing bath and shower products

jessicammorton said:
I made some creams 3 months ago that I was just trialing with, and did not use anything to preserve except a little GSE and essential oils (I didn't even bother to sterilize my jars that time). I use those creams every day, and several of my friends do too, and they are always stored in the bathroom cupboard...no sign of problem yet, no mold and no separation in either of them and they still smell great too. So the preservatives maybe don't need to be too high, anyway.

I use Optiphen at around 1% ... pretty low concentration, to me! :)

A lady at my farmer's market was selling lotion that was "all natural" and yes it really was, and she did use aloe juice in place of water, but no preservative. When I asked how long it would last she said "six months, but many say theirs have lasted over a year."

Skeptical! Isn't there stuff growing in there that we may not see? Even if after 3 months your lotion seems fine, I'd be scared of what microscopic stuff may be going on in there...

janex said:
I made a scrub before using coarse granulated brown sugar and almond oil... it lasted ages and smelled yummy! As long as the oil is covering the sugar I think it is ok!

You may not have seen the bacteria but it was there. I do not know why people continue to argue this point. No preservative in a scrub = bacteria. It is a moot point. I don't care what you 'think', you are flat out wrong.

Tabitha said:
janex said:

You may not have seen the bacteria but it was there. I do not know why people continue to argue this point. No preservative in a scrub = bacteria. It is a moot point. I don't care what you 'think', you are flat out wrong.

I'm disappointed. That's not very constructive feedback at all. People come here to ask questions, get advice, learn, and help others. No one knows everything right away and it's not positive to attack them for what they don't know - and what you might not know for sure.

I know this is an old thread but I couldn't help but tell jessica...that the reason she isn't getting constructive advice is that newbies come around thinking they can talk enough circles and end up with an 'all natural' preservative option AND THERE JUST IS NO SUCH THING.

Trust me, I've been trying to talk my own circles in my research and I've finally reached the bolded conclusion.

No one is trying to bamboozle you or HIDE their secret 'preservative free preservative lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back