Whipped sugar soap scrub from paste-help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I've been making whipped soaps and scrubs and I'm curious why when I add sugar (slowly in to mixer) why it turns more liquid and less fluffy! It doesn't retain any of the original whipped soap fluffiness... is this just the way it is? Have to do with density of the sugar maybe? Or humidity where I live? Does anyone else make whipped soap & scrubs.. and do they maintain the same texture/consistency after adding the sugar? Whipped soap before sugar (top)
After adding sugar (bottom)

Attachments

• 04F35FF9-529B-415B-A4E2-E94E8C7F6C25.jpeg
    04F35FF9-529B-415B-A4E2-E94E8C7F6C25.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7652.MOV
    25.6 MB
I don't make whipped soap products, but I have made scrubs based on cream soap plus sugar or salt.

The soap mixture gets more liquid-y and gloppy as you add more and more sugar because the sugar dissolves in the water in the soap.

If you use more or less sugar in proportion to soap, or a scrubby material that isn't as water soluble (table salt being an example), or one that doesn't dissolve at all (loofa, ground coffee, etc.), you might get a different outcome.

The scrub in this tutorial looks more like yours -- How To Make Whipped Sugar Scrub - Summer Rain

The sugar scrub in this tutorial looks firmer although it's hard to say if the product is actually fluffy -- Foaming Sugar Scrub Made with A Whipped Soap Base - Summer Rain

I'd experiment with varying the amount of sugar in proportion to the soap and see if you can get a texture you can live with.

It's also possible the two tutorials use different types of soap and/or soap with a different amount of water-based liquid. That might also explain the texture differences. I didn't dig into the two tutorials enough to learn that.

Everything @DeeAnna said is very helpful. I will add that the heat and viscosity of your base make a big difference, too. The base should be very cool, if not cold, when you start whipping it. The more you whip it, the more it begins to heat up. Whip it long enough, and it will become quite runny even if you don't add sugar at that point.

When I'm using a soap base (as opposed to a syndet base), I whip it just enough to begin fluffing. I don't whip it all the way to my desired texture before I add the sugar; otherwise, it ends up being whipped too much, gets warm, and starts to deflate/get runny. Also, I don't add the sugar slowly; I pretty much dump it in and mix it quickly so that it has less opportunity to be dissolved into the base.

AHHHHHH! Whipped sugar soap scrub is my enemy, currently!! I made a batch, it turned out amazing - I make an identical batch and it turns to what may as well have been GLUE! I thought it was going to be smooth sailing since the first batch was so easy and turned out so well. I made another batch which completely dissolved 1kg of sugar, as in, it disappeared, It just melted with seemingly no impact on the batch. The glue batch I was able to get back to its original consistency by adding a small amount (2.5%) coco betaine... Back at square one

Realistically; I noticed the 'failed' batches started cold, taken from the fridge; and ended at a temperature only possible to achieve by EXCESSIVELY over-beating. So I would say I was distracted, missed the optimal point for whipping, kept going.. etc. Melted.

Basically; I am currently searching to confirm other people have been struggling as I have hehe. I have come to acknowledge the reality that is mega hot friction whip melty soap. đź« 

As an aside, any suggestions re. alternative uses for dual lye soap paste?

Hmm, interesting. Did both batches come from shreds or paste made with the same recipe? If so, then I believe you are right that over-whipping was the problem. Once the base gets warm, the sugar will melt, and the base will deflate. You can try chilling it again, then re-whipping it, although I don't believe the sugar will re-crystalize to give you the scrubby effect, so you will probably have to add more sugar.

You can watch this trouble-shooting video to learn more about how to fix failed batches. She also has other videos with suggestions for using soap paste. :)

Both came from the same batch of paste! Thankyou for the link - however, I was using her recipe HAHA. I love her, and actually have watched this exact video more times than I can count trying to figure out what I'd messed up. Realistically whipping it too hot is the only conclusion.

Back